Testicular cancer - Self examinations

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, May 7, 2007.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Thread for the guys (and maybe some girls....................YOU DONT KNOW!!!!!)

So i had a bit of scare today, and i thought i should do a self examination.
    I have never done one before but ended up googling "how to do a self examination for testicular cancer" and what i need to look out for.

I did a self examination and while i dont have any signs of testicular cancer, the thing that concerned me seems to be a hydrocele which is relatively harmless unless it causes discomfort (gonna see a doc about it anyway)
    so still kind of scare but also a relief.

Apparantly your ment to do these self examinations once a month.
    Its kind of shocking that i have never done one if im ment to be doing them once a month.

So this thread is a reminder to do a self examination

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Heath checks are not just for us gals!!!

Best of luck at the Docs koolaid.

3. Terao

Terao Valued Member

well i guess you do learn something new everyday

but dont most men check out that area everyday anyway lol

4. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

yeah lol i check every day. in the early days i wo worried about the little tubes as they are a bit lumpy but it turns out they're meant to be there (who knew) but ye check often

5. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Basically we are just looking for a reason to check there hehe.

6. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Just figure its better safe than sorry.

7. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

i feel my testicals every day but not to check for cancer.....

8. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Maybe you should check, better safe than sorry.

9. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

im always worried im gonna hurt myself if i do that

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yeah, I felt them and freaked the hell out. Thought I had cancer. I was so paranoid I even had an ultrasound after the doc told me "that's not anything suspicious, that's your epididymis".

11. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Yea i was worried about hurting myself aswell.
    surprizenly it does hurt at all, its just really gross feeling.

:S even as i typed this i started thinking about it and i started squirming in my seat.

12. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

A lot of doctors and clinics have a set of fake testicles made of out what appears to be an ancient geletin salad that went horridly awry. That said, it does give you a bit of a better idea about what you should be feeling for and what is normal, especially as testicles have their own geography. Well, apart from the whole poke your finger through the skin effect. I often wonder who makes these things, cause the one for breasts are bright blue and usually have tears where people got a bit over zealous in their search for fake lumps.

13. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Just a warning guys, if this thread turns into a stream of innuendo it will get closed. This is an important subject however and is in everybody's best interests to stay open. Thanks.

14. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I just found out last week my old boss has testicular cancer, he had it a while without knowing...poor guy.

Before i found out i can honestly say i never did check mine. I dont know why i just never thought about it. Ive been checking them everyday or two since.

Also i was a little freaked out to find i have one testicle larger than the other, is that normal?

15. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Absolutely normal.

Everyones body is asymetrical to a greater or lesser degree.

All women I know, including myself, have one breast slightly larger than the other. Again, it is normal.

Good thread people. Men need to take better care of themselves.

:Angel:

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Would any abnormalities be noticable?

I think I can feel something but its probably the tubes.

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Molly the gf does mine.....

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There are some decent guides online, most people will be able to feel the tubes and the epididymus. Abnormalities should be noticable. If in doubt, ask the doc!

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I tend to always check my nuts for bumps...not sure why I am so cautious though.

Anyways I had occasional pain in my "Testes" so when I went to the doctor I had him "examine" them and he didn't find anything...I think he also had them(or just the pubic region) x-rayed but nothing was found.

Which means my nuts hurt sometimes for no reason...which is a bummer.

Just felt like sharing my wonderful testicle story

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If you still have pain you might ask them if they can give it an ultrasound.
    Not too much is gonna show up with an X-ray. They don't work so well for soft tissue.

If it's remains painful then no doubt you want to get a second opinion. There are cases of doctors completely flubbing it up even when they've completely competent for years as a doctor.

If they get any idea that it might be testicular cancer they'll get you CT scanned in your abodmen and pelvis as well. It can spread like crazy and they will want to check your lungs as well... as it often will spread through the lymph system.

If there's pain there... there shouldn't be and it's seriously worth getting looked at until they find the source.