Teri Tom Is An Idiot!

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hulkout, Oct 22, 2009.

1. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

thank you very much

2. 1fightforright2

when you say things to conferm what do you mean?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It means you start from a conclusion and look for evidence to support it - as opposed to vice versa

UFO and Bigfoot hunters are common exponents of this research paradigm

4. 1fightforright2

o.k one moment Guro Dan Inosanto actually says himself on one of his Jun fan DVDs that you must have the Jun fan method of gung fu to fully appreciate the JKD concept.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think by sticking to that you are actually failing to "get" the JKD concept.

6. Hannibal

No he says it is ONE way that is less required these days - stay up to date

7. 1fightforright2

I did traditional jujitsu, for a few days to analyis the stance, footwork, striking, blocking, movement etc for both jujitsu and ninjitsu. I try things out for a couple of days If i like it I stick with it if I find that I do not like it I get rid of it. I tried krav maga out and found that I liked the dirlls in krav and would like to incorporate the drills in Jun fan gung fu. however I feel that any style of fighting can benefit from these dirlls. for example they make you close your eyes. you then wait till they tap you on your chest and then strike you. its good for training surprise attacks.

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

A couple of days ?

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Which style of Jujutsu?

Which organisation for the Ninjutsu.

Sorry but with traditional JMA you aren't going to get much from a couple of days.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You absolutely cannot get a flavour or understanding from just a few days training.

Today I taught Eskrima. Just a basic figure x. A basic angle 1 and 2 strike.

Today my 15 year old sons had their first lesson, my students of several years did the same thing and because of the body mechanics I demanded, the senior students got more from the drill.

I asked for a structure and alignment that could be transferred to the trapping hands and lock flow drills later in the class.

You cannot get that level of understanding from a couple of days work.

11. 1fightforright2

o.k maybe more than that. I try it out close minded people do not try other styles out. They say this is the best style and that is it! (Classical mess mentality) and stick with one way and limit themselves to there true potential as individuals. read the whole forum watch my video. I believe that to grasp the essence of any are you must try it out and read about it. which I have not done in the past admittedly. before you verbaly mash me to a pulp, I could be wrong when I say this but I feel that if you apply the concepts of timing, rythem, distence and the five ways of attack to any art. I not only can you grasp the essence of the art but you make the art more practical. again I could be wrong guys. You also analyze the stance, mobility, footwork, stikes, blocks etc as well.

12. Dean Winchester

So how long did you study Jujutsu and Ninjutsu and which styles?

13. bassai

Why does the phrase "salad bar" come to mind ?

14. Hannibal

Salad bar? I was thinking "dogs dinner" personally

15. bassai

I can't lie , it's nicked directly from the mighty slip !

16. Hannibal

Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless is the guideline....

....but before you can discard something you must first possess it; and you cannot do that off a few days

What ranks do you hold in JKD? What ranks in other arts? Do you realize that when JKD started a prerequisite was a level of solid ability in another system? Only Ted Wong came from scratch - he was a "project" if you will

Talking lots about cross training and only physically doing it for a few days is pretty pointless.

17. 1fightforright2

if you ask the right questions you can! well I can. then again I am not you and you are not me. but I feel that I can

18. Dean Winchester

Again that wouldn't really work with only a few sessions in traditional JMA.

How much practice did you do and in what styles?

19. Hannibal

JKD is a tool to kill the ego - honestly expressing oneself

You have missed a lot of key points in your "research" - I also noticed you have avoided addressing my earlier post; the one where you had said Sijo Lee and Guro Inosanto were wrong...remember that one?

20. 1fightforright2

I am level 7 in Jun fan JKD, I am level 6 in Inosanto kali, and am a p2 in krav maga.