Tennis elbow

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Smitfire, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've developed a bad case of tennis elbow.
    Think it's a combination of getting back into badminton without proper consideration of not being 18 anymore and back on the weights again.
    Something's aggravated the muscles and tendons in the outer part of my right forearm to the point where even picking up a cup of coffee can be a task let alone trying to deadlift or chin up.
    Anyone got any advice on how to deal with it?
    Currently I'm on a Christmas bulking phase. Which is no real exercise and eating sweeties. :)
    Giving myself a couple of quiet weeks to let a couple of injuries get some rest (the elbow and calf muscle I pulled doing a 5k).

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Had it before and the only thing that seemed to help was a brace like this

[​IMG]

and taking it easy and not stressing it for a rather long time

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've had it many years ago, mostly rest. Followed by slowly building up strength in my arms (including curls in workouts) as it seemed to be a weak point.

4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I had it a few years ago. Lots of gradual stretching of the wrists and forearms. And very very light wrist curls in both directions, like starting with a soup can. I also incorporated archery (simple pulling the bow) as part of gently building the strength in the wrist and forearm. It took a while, but that worked for me, and most of this was recommended by my doctors. So see your doctor, if you haven’t already.

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have been using KT tape for "Golfer's Elbow." It is pretty much the same thing, but on the inside of the elbow, rathe than the outside. For me, it really was Kwan Dao elbow, as that is what started it up.

Anyways, KT tape is awesome! You can find cheaper brands than the super expensive one that work well. Then search youtube for various ways to tape it. Experiment until you find the right tape job that helps. :)

StooXex likes this.
  6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

although the effect is felt at the elbow, the cause of both tennis elbow and golfers elbow (which affects the tendon on the other side) is an imbalance in strength and tension in the muscles of the forearm and upper arm. The correct regime of physio strengthening exercises can be surprisingly effective at sorting it out. the exercises are simple and easy to do.

I recommend that you see a qualified physiotherapist. it should only take one session for you to be shown and practise the exercises, and to get a schedule for recovery and how to develop the exercises if needed.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Cheers for all the advice. I had a physio triage phonecall last week and I'm due a face to face consultation (and probable mri) with a musculoskeletal doctor next week.
    Intitial diagnosis is tennis elbow but an ongoing constant dull ache (as well as the position specific sharp pain characteristic of tennis elbow) suggest deeper or more severe damage (tendon tear maybe) so that needs checking before embarking on any further treatment or physio.

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

very sorry to hear that it might be a more complicated recovery. This highlights the importance of not relying on advice from strangers on the internet like us, but getting qualified medical diagnosis and advice instead.

Smitfire likes this.
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah absolutely. I think, compared to what it was like a couple of months ago, it is getting better but VERY slowly. Forgot myself the other day and tried to pick up a saucepan and it was like it weighed a ton. My right arm just went "nope...not lifting that" and nearly dropped it.