Temple Kung-fu

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by humblegojuguy, Feb 8, 2004.

1. humblegojuguy

humblegojuguy New Member

What do you all thing of Temple Kungfu as a place to train ? I know a guy who trains there and he loves it. From others I have not so good things about it. I think it is across USA and Canada in alot of major cities. What are your thoughts or experences with them ?

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Just by reputation I would avoid it. Not heard good things but *Anything adds disclaimer* - I have never checked it out myself.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

*trained* there for a year. They stuck me in the "youth" class. I was 14, and "training" with 5 year olds. LITERALLY.

Didn't do much besides horse and bow stance. I remember doing high, low, and middle block. 1 class I was shown roundhouse kick, and that's about it. No bag or paddle work, no self defence techniques, no forms, no sparring, nothing.

Of course, if he's in the highly overpriced adult class, he might get more. My dad did that for a year, and he liked it, but from what he said, the closest thing to sparring was choreographed sparring. I remember him doing several forms, no step-sparring or self defence though, and definately no bag or paddle work.

Of course, you might say "A year isn't enough to learn anything". I have 2 things to answer that with: I've been taking TKD for like 8 months now, and I've learned a ton more there. And, at $100 a month isn't worth 2 1-hour classes a week.

Oh, and their uniform is made of some synthetic material, you get sweaty the second you put it on.

PL

4. shadow warrior

shadow warrior Valued Member

Temple

They do not have a very good reputation for practical martial arts..One of my students was a black belt equiv. there. Demonstrated few.. if any real skills when he arrived..