Tell me your problems, my pretties

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Aug 19, 2013.

1. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

I get a pain in my shins when I bend down if I do a lot of bending over and touching my toes stretches. Funnily enough, the problem manifests itself not if I just do sitting/lying stretches. Is there an explanation for this?

2. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

Hi, don't know if this is still being looked at, but hoping you can help with my flexibility issue. When trying to stretch in a side split type stretch, I get very very tight along the inside of my knees, or just above them. It happens when I get to the limit of my flexibility, but it feels like its about to snap. I never stretch to excess, or till it hurts etc, as I only need to go a little way before it starts to get really tight. Is there a specific stretch for whatever this muscle/tendon is, or do I just need to keep stretching and be patient?

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Tightness is (generally) a sign you're too weak for the range of motion you're trying to display. Do exercises that strengthen your knees - squats, deadlifts and lunges. You can also tense the area where it feels tight during your side splits to build strength through isometric contractions.

4. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

that's the thing, I do quite a few squats etc, and do tense the muscles (pnf style), just seems that when I tense im going to snap the tendon and don't feel like im stretching anywhere above the knees.
    i'll keep trying and see if it improves with a few more squats!

thanks again for the help, and all the advice.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Maybe your position is off. Have you tried progressing in the splits from a wide squat with your knees flexed? I don't know which (if any) martial art you do so I don't know what reference to use, but this stance is called a sumo squat in weight lifting, or a horse riding stance in karate and kung fu.

6. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

I'll give that a shot. I do Shotokan, so understand kiba dachi. Thanks again!

7. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

While i'm here, I have another question....ankle dorsiflexion......when I was 12 i broke my ankle and have since had "issues" for a long long time. weakness being the main one, but also a "blocking" feeling when trying get the dorsiflexion. Numerous physios have tried to "fix" it, each saying its my calf muscle, or achillies etc. Nothing ever worked, and i continually said "theres something in there thats blocking it!" x-rays etc came up with nothing as well.
    Anyway, I moved and went to another physio for a different complaint and asked him while I was getting worked on, and he did something called a "talus release/glide". Instant result. got a bit of pain as i hadnt moved my ankle that way for years, but it fixed it up....for a little while. This physio has now retired, and i was wondering if you knew of a way to do your own talus release, as well as ankle exercises to stop the talus from getting "stuck" again?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

MAP user Late for Dinner is a certified physiotherapist. I suggest dropping him a PM for a more informed answer than I could give you.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Hi VZ,

I always find that I feel hamstring stretches in my lower leg rather than upper leg and was wondering what you recommend? I noticed it again today whilst doing good mornings. The first place I feel tight is my calves and a little in my Achilles area, not my upper legs. Thanks in advance! :)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You feel tightness first where you're tightest. I'd mash the crap out of those calves with a roller, but one made from PVC pipe because calves tend to laugh in the face of foam. Do it before and after your main workout any time you do posterior stuff like good mornings and deads. It might not hurt to do mild relaxed stretches for your calves before you do hamstring exercises (even hammie stretches) so they don't limit your ROM.

11. Frodocious

Thanks! I've definitely noticed my foam roller makes no impression on my calves! Time to dig out the hockey ball until I get a decent bit of pipe!

12. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

With a foam roller, can you do damage to yourself with incorrect use? I always get worried why trying to roll on my ITB/quads or can I go as hard as i like? I keep thinking i'm going to crush an artery or something!

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think a common sense approach is required.

It's almost a pleasurable pain the foam roller gives you.

There are different standards of foam roller and if they're not enough, then using a tennis ball will do the trick.

I've used an eskrima stick when the foam roller isn't available and never had a problem.

I can't see that a foam roller would cause bruising, so putting full body weight on an ITB isn't beyond reasonable.

14. Frodocious

IT bands are notorious for causing screaming agony when foam rolling. If yours is anything like mine, you won't be able to put enough pressure on it to do damage because of the pain that even a little pressure causes!

15. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

Yeah, it feels aweful! One of the reasons I was scared of doing damage due to the pain! I dont even put half my body weight on it and get pain. Mostly a good pain though.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Simon and Frodocious make great points, crash76.

You're trying to resolve soft tissue restrictions. It's going to be uncomfortable. But it shouldn't feel like you're doing more harm than good. Simon's phrase "pleasurable pain" is a good verbal cue you should always keep in mind. Common sense must prevail - of course sitting on a PVC pipe or lacrosse ball for an hour will cause bruising, so use your head and listen to your body. :)

17. righty

righty Valued Member

Just quoted the above as it's related to mine. I've got some hip impingement as well. Strangely enough even though it's an issue in the joint itself, regular stretching of my hip flexors seem to help with the issue. I've also been given some mobility work from the physio to help out and it has improved. How exactly are these working to improve something that is in the joint?

Also, what are your views on mobility exercises, paricularly those that seem to focus on static stretching before a workout. I've been seeing some people suggested to do it lately despite the generally avoidance I thought was the norm of educated peeps.

18. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I hope I am not too late to get advice here.

My entire life, even when I was a kid my ankle was never flexible. I could not sit comfortably with my ankles under my legs the way many people do in Japanese systems when at rest. The pain was unbearable. I have also for whatever reason never been comfortable putting pressure on my knees in that position either. I literally just sit on the floor if I ever have to do things other people might go to their knees to do. This was also true when I was a kid.

Now my ankle problem is far more complicated. I have gout and for whatever reason it built up in my ankle joints. I don't have flare ups anymore but the podiatrist did various scans on my ankle and found that there is what is likely to be permanent damage. Apparently the acid forms into crystals that kind of saw away at your joints and tendons over time. The range of motion in my ankles gets smaller every year. This also removed my ability to run. Even when I am not in pain I can do everything that someone would do to run and I simply do not accelerate.

I am getting into Judo and BJJ now. BJJ in the past helped me to recuperate the weakness in my knees that came from doing improper knee bends before. (not connected to the pain when I put pressure on them). Is there something I can do for my ankles?

19. Rreader65

Rreader65 New Member

Hi, new to MAP and have been reading your thread, awesome info in it..thanks for that.
    Question - What is a good stretch for plantar faciitis? It has recently been getting more painful after training, to the point where I can't put full weight down on it.

Thanks for your help!

20. Nolan Froese

Nolan Froese Valued Member

I'd like to follow your blog if I could. I guess I don't have permission.

Also here's a different question for you. Apparently my supraspinatus muscles aren't firing/contracting too well. I have seen two fairly good physical therapist and they both said this. Interestingly, I have developed very minor shoulder pain in my right posterior deltoid when I'm in fool shoulder flexion on the overhead press.

I do have a slight kyphosis which I work on continually, and I really want to do a free handed handstand so I've been doing them on the wall a lot.

Question: Would you have any idea on how to get the supraspinatus working and would you have any clues to what might be causing the pain? Just interested in what anyone is thinking.

Question 2: Should I avoid dynamic stretching for my shoulders and stick to PNF stretches? If so what PNF stretches would you recommended with someone who has a slight kyphosis and want to get full shoulder flexion for a handstand?