Tell me about Tang Soo Do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by CriticalDog, Dec 30, 2010.

1. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

I've recently found a Tang Soo Do school close enough to me with a weird enough schedule that I may be able to attend classes!

I am a fan of Korean Martial Arts, having done Kuk Sool Won for several years (though that was 15 years ago) and a year of TKD/Hapkido a few years back.

Is Tang Soo Do basically TKD? Is it more like Hapkido? Does it combine the 2?

Thanks for the hopefully helpful information!

(Side note: The school is affiliated with CS Kim, who I haven't heard anything particularly bad about outside of running his schools in a businesslike way, ie: contracts and the like)

2. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

It's basicly like Tae Kwon Do. Anyone who tells you different probably knows what they are talking about.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's basically a midpoint between shotokan and tkd, afaik

4. CriticalDog

Interesting. I'll be checking out a class on Wednesday, should be interesting.

5. Power_plant

Power_plant Valued Member

Primarily its a striking art with little/no grappling work - this depends on who you train with, the same goes for weapons. Where I train there is no weapons work and only very little grappling work for example. As said above it is a mid-point between Shotokan Karate and TKD (the forms practised in TSD are very similar to the Shotokan ones and there are similar kicks used to TKD although in my experience there is less emphasis on kicks nut on as a whole an equal balance almost when using kicks and punches).

Go and check it out and see what it is like see if you enjoy it.

Random fact for you: Chuck Norris trained in TSD

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

In practice, from what I've seen, it doesn't much resemble shotokan. It's more like one of the "lighter" styles like Wado crossed with TKD.

7. 23197

23197 Valued Member

Lots of kicks like TKD. It emphasizes more on tradition than sport although we do compete. GM CS Kim has a good rep. you should receive good training.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If it is similar to TKD then it's ITF TKD not WTF.

Mitch

9. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

when i was going through a disillusionment period i found solace with Tang Soo Do.

in addition to strikes, our school focused on throws, takedowns, joint manipulation & breakfalls/ rolls. for weapons we did bo-staff and knives/ knife defense.

was a very good experience.

one of my fav TSD vids

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAr5SeF57XY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAr5SeF57XY[/ame]

10. CriticalDog

Interesting. I am not a huge fan of TKD, but my experience with a TKD school was very "McDojo"/Belt factory-ish, so I'm open to having my mind changed.

I'm hoping to go sit in and view a Wednesday class, I'll check back in and let you guys know.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Taekwondo is so hugely prevalent that it's pretty much impossible to judge all TKD schools. There are so many of them that just because you come across a bad one doesn't mean there isn't a good one just around the corner.

12. CriticalDog

Oh yes, this is very true. I'm not downplaying TKD at all, I'm just ....apprehensive. I fully admit I got spoiled at my first school, but I am old enough now to realize that not every school will be ideal.

I'm looking forward to seeing another aspect of KMA in general, and another side of TKD.

13. CriticalDog

Well, I showed up about 5 minutes before the end of class on Wednesday, and got a chance to see a few minute of training.

The place is small, which I expected. I live in a place I usually refer to as "semi-rural". There were a whopping 2 students there, a female red belt and a young man who was a black belt.

The instructor seemed knowledgeable and was very polite. I'm hoping to go in and actually watch an entire class on Friday.

They apparently do to contracts, which I am leery of.. a 6 month, one year, or 2 year. Though it appears they have a variety of options in how one pays for that, which is nice.

Weapons are taught at higher levels, apparently.

Overall, a decent first impression. The only real competition for my dollar at this point is a Hapkido school an hour away from me, but going there would work out ok for my schedule that will be starting in the fall.

14. Power_plant

Power_plant Valued Member

No option to pay per class?

Whatever you do if you have to get a contract go for the 6month one, that way if anything changes you are not drawn in for a long time. Although you probably know that already.

15. CriticalDog

That is certainly what I would look into first, to see if it's a fit.

I wasn't able to get to the school to watch a class today, will try next week.