Teen uses karate, bjj to defend himself from would-be mugger

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Omicron, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Omicron

Omicron is around.

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Good for him!

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

"he doesn't flaunt it"

Just below his photo holding his phone like a champ...

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Not to take anything away from the kid and how well he did etc but it is interesting that this article seems to be all over the place. The lad only reports that he studies goju ryu karate (at least until 2012 - http://www.shimakarate.com/jordan.php) and in his on site bio makes no mention of either BJJ or MMA training. He does say that karate is his life and that he competes on the local circuit. Perhaps he has started taking BJJ or MMA in the last year but I would bet this is more likely the reporter's description since neither is taught at the club he trains at.

Always good though to see someone with traditional training making it work in unfortunate circumstances. The 6 foot 2 inch attacker seemed to get taken out quite easily by this young lad.

LFD

5. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Actually, I would say he has shown exactly what not to do. Do you really want to die for a mobile phone or the contents of your wallet?

As he points out, he may have had a knife, Possessions can be replaced, you cannot. If they want your phone, give it to them, if they want your wallet give it to them. Then they will go away, and you will live. Do you really want your wife to have to explain to your children they have to grow up with out a dad because he was stabbed for the £20 in his pocket? Do you really want your children to die because they didn't hand over their phone?

This kid is an idiot, ok this time he got lucky and got away with it, next time he might be in the obituary section of the paper instead of on the front page.

Also, what the hell is what he doing getting his iphone out in public? He may as well walk around waving handfuls of cash in his hand for everyone to see and and a sign saying "Please mug me".

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well to be fair the article says he doesn't flaunt his blackbelt in Karate. :)