Techniques from a Chair

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by humble student, Oct 6, 2005.

1. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

A whole class of DMA sounds like a lot of hard work... Good luck!

2. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

Just been mulling this topic over for the last couple of days and particularly the weapons syllabus and assertions that weapons are an equaliser for a wheelchair enabled martial artist. I wouldn't necessarily agree and here's why.

If the person uses a manual wheelchair then guess what needs to be free in order to move around? That's right... hands. What isn't free if a weapon is being held? That's right... hands! If a weapon is held even in one hand then the wheelchair user is impeded for the purposes of turning, entering, backing away or blending with an incoming attack. Additionally the power that can be generated by turning the chair is lost...

The person essentially can become a static weapons platform!

It is possible to use certain weapons and still maintain hands-on control of the chair but a great deal of agility can be lost and this can be the difference between coming out on top and coming out beaten and bloodied.

Any weapons syllabus needs to take into account the relative ability of each wheelchair user to maneuvre their chair hands-free or with minimal contact, and should also take into account the benefits of any given wheelchair in an offensive capacity, as a weapon itself!

Ben

3. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

At the same time, if unarmed you drop your hands from in front of your face to move the chair, you're asking to be punched.

4. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Catch 22

Unless the chair is the weapon, the majority of an armed or unarmed confrontation will take place while the chair is stopped. Even using the chair to attack leaves the defender vulnerable because their hands are propelling the chair. Also it is very easy to side step a moving wheelchair. Even if the defender uses an electric chair only one arm is available for defense. With a few exceptions wheelchairs manual or electric are easily toppled, leaving the defender on the ground. Therefore it is not a question of which technique or weapon. It is a question of practicality. The most vulnerable area of a defender in a wheelchair is their back. It is nearly impossible to effectively defend. With all of these variables working against a defender in a wheelchair, common sense must be the primary defense technique. Simply put avoid places, people, and situations that would put you at risk. Pay close attention to the world around you and the people in it. Hopefully you will avoid trouble, or at least see it coming and be able to escape before it gets to you. If robbery is an attackers sole motive, give them what they want. Money and things can be replaced, you cannot be. If an attackers motives are sicker than robbery, then the defender gains a slight advantage. In order for an attacker to touch the defender or remove them from their wheelchair, they must get very close to the defender. Depending on the defender and their wheelchair, there may be seatbelts or other aparatus that must be disengaged. The defenders advantage increases. How the defender capitalizes on these advantages depends upon their physical ability. Eye gouges, throat strikes, small joint breaks and locks can be effective without a great deal of strength if taught and applied correctly. The goal of the defender must be to end the confrontation as quickly and effectively as possible. The diversity among defenders in wheelchairs requires their techniques and training to be highly personalized. Once the defender knows which techniques will work most effectively for them, their focus must turn to conditioning so that they are strong enough to execute the techniques properly, and drilling the techniques until they are reflexive. IMO any type of weapon carried by a defender in a wheelchair is potentially a weapon for their attacker. I feel it is better to hone the skills and tools that will always be with you. If possible, the defender should also train for the eventuallity of fighting outside their wheelchair. Peace and happy training. :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  5. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Get yer self a cane!!

The Cane is a very cool way to hook someone up, I remember training with Marshal Ho`o with the cane, that he saw me with once in a seminar in Mexico, he wasnt in a wheel chair but this will work for you guys!

6. humble student

humble student Valued Member

I use hapkido and other cane techniques. Also enviromental awareness, the buddy system and fighting dirty are all part of my curriculum. When you fight fight to win, escape never surrender! Is a fight from a wheelchair fair ofcourse not. However if you live in a bad neigborhood and can't afford to move because you are on a fixed income, a low cost or even free subsidized selfdefense course may even the odds atleast a little. Whats better being prepared or being a victim. Common sense has always been part of my training in Jujitsu. Don't start fights, don't show off your skills, and don't go into bad areas unless it can't be avoided. Common sense and courtesy are always the best protection.

John Runer

7. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Sound like you guys are doing well!

The Wing Chun system might have some good tec`s for sit down training, its an up close and in yer face type training, With Respect

8. humble student

humble student Valued Member

I use wing chun/ Jeet kune do and chin na. Always looking for good books and dvds on chin na and presurre point fighting. I like the deflection and trapping techniques of chin na. I use DR Yang's boooks for chin na.

9. tokugawa

tokugawa New Member