Techniques from a Chair

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by humble student, Oct 6, 2005.

1. humble student

humble student Valued Member

I am soliciting ideas for fighting from chair and wheel chair. Any experiences or ideas/ websites would be appreciated. Right now I have punching and throwing, for wheel chair, plus low kicks from sitting postion for people who can kick.

Thanks
    John Runer
    Defense Abled instructor

2. Topher

Topher allo!

Do you teach a generalized martial art or is your previous training/styles heavly influence your current teaching.

Off the top of my head Wing Chun might work seeing as it focus is hand based techniques. Although i haven't done any yet, you might want to look into weapons training. The FMA such as Kali/Eskrima are aparantly very good. Plus, hitting someone with a stick - hard! - around the legs can easily be done from a wheel chair :D

3. humble student

I teach elcectic martial arts "what ever works for a student', with Shorin-Ryu Karate becoming my base.

Thanks
    john Runer

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Nunchuks or knives would work. Probably get you thrown in jail though ;)

5. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

I'm just back from the European Savate Championships where (before the finals) they had a display of what (I think) the french call "handisports". Two sports for wheelchair users were demonstrated. The first was boxing, and the second was La Canne. The La Canne demo was very good - one guy was a wheelchair user, one not, and both were very skillful with the cane.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

One of the students at the Morgantown school is in a Wheelchair, and he learned everything from day one... techniques, movement, weapons, grappling. And he now has a black sash.

We're a Chinese style, btw, with elements of Chin Na, Bagua, Long Fist, 5 Animals, Shuai Jiao.

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

8. humble student

Thanks!!! I will check out the sites, I am looking for a good la canne book. I pesonally love cane (Hapkido) techniques as I use one most of the time bad right knee and nerve problems in spinal cord also effect both legs. I teach a mix of aiki type jujitsu, judo, kungfu and currently have become sponsored and am learing matsubuayashi shorin ryu karate. (Through the American Shorin ryu karate Association.

John runer

9. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

I'll ask around for the name of a good la canne book... Have you trained in kali at all? Kali has a lot of stick work, as well as empty-hand and dagger.

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Take a look at http://www.canemasters.com/
    -I have some of the videos and really like them, they cover exercise, defenses, strikes, etc. I have attended seminars with Canemaster Shuey and he is pretty awesome... his material is really good. I would recommend his videos and in-person seminars.

Also, www.ichf.com has a video library and couple of cane tapes. The tapes are very good, but more "to the point" than the canemasters in my opinion. The ICHF stuff is more of an add-on to your curriculum and the canemasters is a whole art.

I recommend both, especially canemasters' canes.

11. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Tai Chi in a chair is a good book that I gave my pops to read, he's disabled.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...2?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

12. macker

macker Valued Member

At the Kenshiro Abbe celebrations at Crystal Palace my instructor Sensei Derek Eastman performed some Aikido techniques from a chair. I have also seen these demonstrated at our dojo. Here is alink to the schools website where you may find an email link.
    http://www.ellisaikido.org/

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Inappropriate post removed

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  14. batfink

batfink Valued Member

I think this applies to a lot of us - how many road rage incidents do you hear about where the victim is sat in their car? The best technique would be to drive off :) but everywhere is a traffic jam these days, I would be interested in self-defense when sat in the driving seat, belt on, idiot at the window. I don't like to just put the window up & lock the doors, it sends victim signals and the bully mentality kicks in, followed by them damaging the car or possibly even putting the window through. The best general advice I have heard on this is to be so proficient with your blocks/parries/guard that you can prevent taking hits even in that confined space. Practice, practice, practice, and go for the family allowance...

15. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

16. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

The problem is that besides allowing you to move freely, for almost all techniques the legs do most of the work.
    There's absolutely no way someone stuck in a chair can take anyone on at free range striking. They can circle you and/or hit you at will. For someone with great upper body strength, I'd say maybe they can grab an arm to pull the head down so they can hold that with one arm and punch with the other.
    For anyone else concerned with realistic defence they should proberbly get some kind of taser and hide it down the side of their chair. You could do drills to mimic drawing it and using it when someone grabs you.
    There's no easy answer to this, if you don't have working legs you're screwed in a fight.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'd have to say I disagree with this. At a disadvantage, yes. Screwed, no. And I know a black sash and an instructor who would agree with me ;)

18. Topher

Topher allo!

Intresting videos. Although i noticed the attacks and techniques were very placid. No aggression/aliveness what so ever. Maybe there is a reason for it though?

19. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

There is a systema club in London. Fell free to pop along and offer as much aliveness as you want. If you need the address let me know.

Paul Genge

20. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Being in a chair is a major disadvantage almost to the point off being screwed.

What are peoples thoughts on modifying a wheelchair or such that you could use it as a weapon ie quick detachable footplates that could be used as a kosh or similar (honest officer I never knew that part could come off the chair, until it came off when I was being attacked).

IMO the only equaliser for someone in a chair is a weapon in 99% of the time