teaching the disabled

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by jamie1976, Feb 25, 2007.

1. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

i teach a grappleing class and was thinking of starting a disabled class, obviously i thought about what i can and cant teach an so on but this alldepends on the types of disabilities the person has.
    so i was woundering if anybody on here has done anything like this befor? and if so has any tips and guildlines they have found with their experiance. i dont think my lessons would be so much focusing on grappleing more on striking and selfdefence side of my m/a what do you guys think? :confused:

2. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

I think several things.

1. Don't do any Special Ed. crap with us.
    2. Don't wimpify us.
    3. Although, some might have the same disability, they mayhave different abilities.
    4. I want chocolate. :D

3. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Teaching

I currently teach on average 15 disabled people a week. MA training for people with disabilities requires you to be able to customize everything you teach to suit each persons abilities. Your warm up exercises will even vary from person to person. Also, you have to consider rather or not you can adapt the techniques of your art for them, while retaining the effectiveness. I refuse to turn my classes into a feel good fest. I figure if all my students wanted was another thing to make them feel good about themselves, there are other things they can do. At the end of the day MA should keep you in good mental and physical shape, and you should be able to use it effectively if need be. To short cut any of these three requirements is IMO a disservice to the student and the arts. I will do my best to answer specific training questions regarding my experiences with various types of disability if I can be of service. Peace and happy training. :)

4. acrux

acrux vi et animo

Great, well done. I have help a couple of disabled people in my classes.

It is best to work to each individual & help develop the skills that would suit that individual.
    For example a student in my class only had one good leg & arm, so we worked on his jab, backfist, knife hand, spear hand, front kick & a basic back.

When it comes down to it you have to work with what you've got.

The disabled student was thrilled with a few basic strikes because he felt he had nothing to defend himself before he started the classes.

For some students basic self-defence with a walking stick may proof beneficial.

It may come down to that they may still get hurt in a self-defence situation, but they will feel better that at least they were able to do their best & do some damage in return.

Good luck & keep up the great work.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  5. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

many thanx!!!

thanx for the tips guys they've been a great help and have helped settle my mind ALOT so now its definate im currently getting ready to go out to iraq but im gunna use my time out there to sort of write myself a sort of provisional syllbus and do more research maybe into sign language and teaching the disabled i know there is nothing like this in my area an there should be it shouldnt jus be the sound of body who can enjoy ma everyone should be able to thanx agen for the tips il let you all know how im getting on on here and in my journal im all excited about this now lol :D