Teaching SD to teenage girls..

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by WalkingThePath, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh i think it would be a very good idea if you went around all the local Martial art clubs to see what they are like, then during the 9 week course you can inform the girls about the clubs available.

9 weeks is better than 2 for sure, but what happens after the 9 weeks? They need to be encouraged to carry on training as much as you can without bullying them into it, but if they are serious about self defence they need to know that after the 9 weeks they are going to need to keep up on something.

2. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I would suggest teaching strikes to the throat and eyes, doesn't matter how big attacker is theyr e effective, basic balance taking, getting them to scream at the top of their voice, could put attacker off and also attract help. If they do take attackers balance and they end up on floor, stamp down on the ankles and run away They could be taught how to use items they are carrying as weapons, eg keys for gouging, slashing, or mobile phone strike to the nose, throwing loose change at them as a distraction or hitting them with a handbag before kicking them between the legs, make a point though that although a kick to the family jewels can be effective always follow through with another strike such as an elbow to face just in case.

3. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

How about fighting in confined spaces? I'm thinking cars, bathrooms, cramped dorm rooms, the space between dumpster, etc.

4. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

i started out teaching rape defense seminars and the result was this DVD

IMHO flashlock's idea's about the ground game being key are spot on.. also... . eye gouges and groin strikes simply do not work

www.nosexualassault.com

5. larry

larry New Member

I beg to differ about eye strikes not working. If you push your thumb deep into an eye socket the fight is over. If you use a push and hook from the inside to the outside the eye will most likely never work again. Eye strikes are very painful and can cause a great deal of damage. If you think this isn't true let your next sparring partner shove his thumb into your eye and you be the judge. You might want to take a look at the Black Medicine series of books by N. Mashiro. Very informative.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

we'll have to disagree then.. while eye gouges can be effective.. they require commitment to do serious harm
    plus.. every man is born a blackbelt protecting his balls.. and eyes....
    9 times out of ten even a serious attempt to attack the eyes will fail.. AND result in a very primal angry response

7. Nii

Nii Valued Member

Do it the Japanese way:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6D9jWddx1c"]YouTube[/ame]

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

9. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

Excellent - frickin love it :love: - what on earth was I worrying about - just teach em to dance around and say "Take anything you want..."

Sheer genius..... :D

10. larry

larry New Member

I like your 9 times out of 10 statement. In the last year I have been in more than 10 fights that resulted in serious injury and each started with a strike to the eye or eyes. I would say that in each case there was some sort of set up like a kick to the shin or a foot stomp or kick to the leg somewhere and in each case the second move was some sort of eye strike. Sometimes with no weapon sometimes with one, usually a ball point pen as no one stops you yet for carrying a writing tool. In every case it was un-blocked and resulted in a total defensive breakdown that allowed for several finishing moves. I teach close quarters combat to people that have a need for quick and efficient techniques. Eye strikes are an important tool in this teaching. Granted they are not teenage girls but most of the techniques do not rely on great amounts of strength, i.e. teenage girls. You did hit the nail on the head about being committed to doing serious harm. Have you ever heard the saying, "It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"? If I was going to teach teenage girls I would teach them the meanest, nastiest most deadly techniques I could and try to instill in them the idea that if someone attacks you they are not your friend and they deserve whatever they get. I am not trying to be condescending but when it comes to defending your self against an un-wanted attack there is no time to consider the feelings of the attacker or whether you are going to hurt him. But, that's me. I am sure there differing opinions out there and who is to say which is right. Bruce Lee said, "If it works it is a technique." So find what works for you and use it.
    Thanks for reading.
    Larry

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  11. slipthejab

Dude seriously...

What line of work are you in or what ghetto are you living in that you at your age (46 according to your profile) have had just about a fight a month for an entire year?!? :confused:

Each of which started with an eye gouge no less. :rolleyes:

12. larry

larry New Member

What do I do for work? Well, last month I was in 6 running fire fights, 4 vehicle fire fights, 5 close quarter fights and 20 sorties. Right now I am enjoying some down time ridding the scoot and eating in nice restaurants. Next month I will be back at it in some stinking 3rd world country shooting people that would like to take away all of our freedoms and plunge the world into a Muslim hell of 2 centuries ago.
    What do you do for work?

13. slipthejab

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    Rambo is now at MAP... we can all rest easy. Good thing to know that our freedom is being protected by eye gouges in the middle east. :rolleyes:

Even more dramatic considering your profile lists your profession as 'computer stuff'. :p

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's tough in the computor game world.

15. Sarge

Sarge Wing Chun / MMA

Wow.. Blackwater amoung us ?

Dude... seriously. Either your some kinda soldier, merc, or your in the looney bin. Which is it? I'd like as serious an input from such a person here, but you have to think about how it looks... incredulously.
    Slip... you crack me up sometimes bro... lmao.

16. wires

wires Valued Member

I'm not sure "freedom" really has much to do with killing people in foreign nations.

When you are older, Larry, and you've had time to consider your actions - you will realize you were badly used - just like all of our soldiers since WWII were badly used.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  17. wires

wires Valued Member

boxing - eye gouges

Strikes to the eyes are MUCH easier to pull off a guy spends a fair amount of time in a boxing gym, learning to box.

If a man can set up a knockout punch, he can also set his opponent up for eye gouges.

But if a man can't box at all, and he thinks he's going to play "pokie pokie!" with an angered, capable opponent - he is in for a horrible realization.

18. wires

wires Valued Member

You need to train them the say way you train your men.

A woman, nine times out of ten, will be attacked by a man, not another woman.

So you need to train them to fight as well as men.

19. slipthejab

This part of the thread will fast careen off topic no doubt... but here goes. As much as I'm not sure what to think of Larry's story... I'd have to say you're rather optimistic in thinking that killing people in other foreign nations has nothing to do with freedom. I'm not entirely sure I agree. Look at the great democratic nations of today... they were built on the backs of slaves and colonies and oppressed peoples... often by people trying escape oppression themselves.

Perhaps... but according to his profile he's 46 already. If someone is still soldiering at 46 I don't think you're going to see a whole lot of change in life outlook or in the way they view the world at this late date in the game.

Of course I could just be entirely pessimistic. Which I prefer to call realist. :D

20. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

and... the solution based on the success of eye gouges is to get women in boxing gyms so they are capable of committing to an eyestrike???? lol
    the goal in the video is to provide the average untrained women her highest percentage chances.. not BS that fails to work for most people

whatever.... best to avoid them... they are a fantasy world... similar to the one this guy apparently lives in