Teaching a deaf student

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by theviper, Feb 7, 2007.

1. theviper

theviper Valued Member

Just wondered if anyone has experience of being taught with a hearing loss or has taught someone.
    My step grandson is 3 and interested in martial arts already. It has got us thinking about signs that could be used. We are learning basic sign but just need input from someone who may have experience of this. Also he is having an implant put in later this year, this means he will have some hearing but will have to be careful that his head isnt hit about as he gets older. This is all very much in the future but better being prepared early than not at all :)
    Pete

2. As a first Dan. I'm sure you understand how learning Martial Arts works. A large part of it is simply copying.

We have two deaf students in our school. Neither are fantastic, but both train hard and have achieved a decent level through training.

You can get a bright headguard and make sure during sparring other students know that bright headguard = No hitting this area.

All the best of luck.

3. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

I am deaf, of course.

4. HBKirishwarrior

HBKirishwarrior Valued Member

i am also deaf. I get along with sensei and classmate without problems. It depends on certain deaf. There are oral deaf (raised by hearing environment/culture, able to speak clear and adapt hearing culture like me) and there are muted deaf that don't speak, just 100% signed language which can be hard to commuicated but with visual demostrated, it can be accomplished. good luck! Osu!

5. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

Ya, there's this lady at the supermarket that is ' Hearing Impaired ' but never speaks words, Like 100% emotions. But I know some other people that have the same problem and talk perfectly fine. They sound weird though, probably because they can't hear themselves :(

6. Light123

I'm sensorineurally deaf. I can speak just fine, although my speaking may be a lil unclear.

But this is about teaching deaf MAists, right?

7. theviper

theviper Valued Member

Yes it is about teaching someone with no hearing at present. He has a little speech. His parents talk to him and sign so he is getting best of both.
    Great idea on the bright headguard :)
    Just wanted to get some input from those with experience, many thanks.
    Pete

8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I see no reason why someone who is deaf cannot learn and be good at a martial art or anyother physical activity. Sure he may need a little more time one on one with people showing stuff, but i dont think this would be a problem in the long run.

Look at the british boxer, i cant remember his first name but his secon name was Turpin. He was deaf and he was a very good boxer, a world champion. It can be done! good luck dont let it stop him!

Randy turpin was his name! have a look see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Turpin

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  9. Light123

My question is, what if someone brings their hands up to "sign", but instead of signing they throw an attack or something?

My dad taught me the basics of stick fighting. He would take the sticks and show me the swings, or he would get behind me and "puppet" me(if you know what i mean :D ) and then step away and let me try it by myself. But if it's stick to stick, like a one-eight or whatever, show him how it is done.

As was said, it's all copying.

10. Riq P

Riq P New Member

I am deaf in one ear, I did not expect the difficulties I have experienced in karate. The problem was that I had over sensitized my hearing trying to understand things I partially heard. :bang:
    I am learning to relax and allow what I cannot hear to pass by.
    It is better miss an instruction and relax ;)
    than to be confused and stressed :confused:
    Because I will get there in the end. :Angel:

11. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Having an interpreter present in the class ould be a major advantage to simply just copying the instructor.When i did sports Coaching and development at college we had a deaf guy in the class his interpreter was never an obstacle. Interpreters allow you to get the knowlegde across that simply monkey see monkey do type learining does not

12. ember

ember Valued Member

I've had a few friends who are hearing-impaired. One of them trains with me at the dojang.

Some basic habits that I learned from the first friend have been helpful with the second. When speaking to them, try to turn towards them, so they have eye contact. Articulate clearly. This doesn't necessarily mean speaking slowly, though "not speaking fast" certainly helps.

And be patient, it may take a few tries. Once in a while when the pronunciation isn't quite getting across, I finger-spell the questionable word. Unfortunately, that's about all I know of sign.

13. Light123

Don't feel bad. I only taught my friends fingerspelling.

H-E-Y-Y-O-U

:D

14. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

I dont see it being a problem. It will be a roadblock of course, but nothing that can truly stop him from learning. Just remember though. Hes only 3. If he isnt that good dont blame it on being deaf. Its because hes 3. Just let him go about witht he other kids, teach by example.

I personally think it would be hard because I could hardly keep 5 yearolds in line when teaching!

When he is older though, say 12 or 13, theres no reason for being deaf to stop him from doing MA. Just look at the guy from the recent TUF (not the comeback, before that). He was deaf and made it pretty far into MMA.