Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ragnarok2005, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I think hes referring to the nanny state culture that we seem to have in the UK nowadays.

2. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Unfortnately that culture is misplaced.

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

too true.

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to relive it.

Koyo

5. Moony

Moony Angry Womble

I've learnt the hard way how to jump through the spelling hoops of the english language. Words with lots of s and c sounds in are the worst!

6. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I think it is very important to understand that history is, in fact, propaganda.

That said, I have no idea why teaching of the holocaust would be offensive to Muslims.

But if it was the Crusades, then that would be different altogether...

7. Verx

Neither do I

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Neither do I, but thats understandable as that isn't the issue.

9. prowla

prowla Valued Member

OK, but it is the title of this thread.

10. holyheadjch

I could make a thread with 2+2=5 as its title, but it in no way changes the fact that 2+2=/=5

11. Verx

Then what are we actually discussing if the thread title is wrong and the OP hasn't commented on the article?

12. holyheadjch

good question

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Is this some kind of alternate universe, where 2+2 does equal 5?

14. Burbs

Burbs Valued Member

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by ivory tower academics and an unscrupulous non-sensible mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Really wish I knew who said this, came forwarded in an email and sums up alot.

15. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

Good observation, Prowla. The selective and subjective nature of teaching history makes it vulnerable to being misused for political and cultural influence.

I don't think there is a problem with teaching the holocaust in schools, but the overemphasis on it is objectionable. Children are conditioned to believe in the Holocaust as the gold standard of suffering, and Jews as the archetype of victimhood.

The result is a population that is predisposed to zionist servitude, for whom it makes sense to export massive misery across the Middle East in order to protect those poor folk who suffered at Hitler's hands.

The holocaust as a tool of propaganda has been an enabling and contributing factor to the death of many muslims and arabs in the Middle East.

16. holyheadjch

And there I was thinking you'd gotten yourself banned,

17. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Poor folk, indeed! I have no doubt that the holocaust happened, and feel nothing but disgust for the prepetrators. No person deserves to be treated in that way, and the world is well rid of the Nazis. I do think it is good that it is taught, if only to demonstrate the thin veneer between what we think of as a civilised society, and the unfettered unleashing of underlying tensions, hatred, and self interest that are the basic embodiment of what I think of as evil.

But in contrast, here in "civilised" Britain, we used to do worse to our own! We've just been for a day out and visited the original Clink Street prison (the origin of the term "Clink" to mean jail"). Only a few hundred years ago in London, they would torture, main and disfigure people and let them live out their days in pain and misery until they died a horrible forlorn death. Examples included lead collars with spikes in them designed to cut and torment the wearer (and having the side-effect of giving them lead poisoning). How about metal boot that was put on the foot, and dry wood packed in; it would then be filled with water so the wood would expand and crush the foot of the unfortunate wearer, probably making it fall off. Or winching people up by their arms tied behind their back. Or even having arms and legs in stocks, but off the floor. Or maybe ripping people apart by tying each arm/leg to a horse pulling in each direction. Oh, and there were no toilets and the place would often flood up the 3 ft of water from the Thames, meaning everyone was bathing in raw sewerage (also nice for all of the wounds!).

We live in privileged times, but we should not forget the past, and how easy it would be to lapse.

18. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

The lapse has happened. Again, again, again, and again.

Everyone's been too busy lamenting past ills to take notice, or care.

19. holyheadjch

you gonna elaborate on that?

20. I just think the whole thing is utterly retarded.

Firstly that they're going to drop part of history and secondly because most of the issues surrounding the Holocaust have been dropped already and don't get taught in school.

I was taught in school that the Jews were exterminated because of Christian Bigotry.