Teacher punches student

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by benkei, Jun 8, 2011.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's not illegal. Showing up late for work is not against the law, but I can still get fired for doing it.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I suppose we have to take into account that a pupil is not allowed to hit another pupil regardless of the intimidation and if a school holds it's pupils to this stupid rule then it's staff must follow the same guildlines ie: go and find a teacher

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It is explicitly illegal to prevent people from or penalise people for defending themselves within the confines of the law.

4. Atre

Atre Valued Member

What the law says and how it's implemented are entirely different things.

Even if the law says that removing a teacher for "unprofessional behaviour" or "besmirching the school's reputation" isn't allowed when the punching was legal (I doubt it says this) then the school can make it very difficult for the teacher to stay

I had to talk down some thunderous prat of a technician who was recently trying to tell me that gymnastics in a public access area (also, my department) was illegal trespassing. People can honestly believe the law is on their side even when they're full of ****. It's one of those funny human quirks - I'm right so the law must agree with me. Entertainingly the more polite I was the more furious he got... but that's a lolworthy discussion for another time

5. holyheadjch

Explicitly? I'd quite like to see that piece of legislation.

6. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I am surprised that this hasn't turned into a style v style thread yet.

7. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

If she would have learned judo this never would have happened

:evil:

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

If she knew Judo, she could've thrown him into three other bad students, "accidentally" of course. :Angel:

9. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Maybe he would have just "tripped" and flown into them :evil:

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

within the confines of the law.....how can the word illegal ever be within the same statement

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Indeed. I was mistreated by teachers when i was very small, not vise versa.

and i was raised by parents who were the do as I say type just because. We had a lot of fights, many ending up with someone getting physically hurt. because i fought back.

12. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

I'm on the teacher's side, and it's a pity she couldn't strike more effectively...

The sad thing about this, and having read all the responses, is that 'we' are all wishy-washy' about supporting the woman: the lad was a little ****, his classmates were probably no better, and some other little **** chose to video it because they thought it would be 'cool' to post it on the web!

'We' should stop making excuses for bad parenting, dump the 'nanny' attitude and take more joint responsibility to change the status quo. 'We' know that many kids lack any respect for their elders/parents/teachers/authority so, give the teachers more slack, punish the unruly student(s) and make them suffer the consequences should 'they' choose to behave in an inappropriate manner.

Simples.

13. holyheadjch

Who has been wishy washy? Support for the teacher's actions has been largely unanimous and emphatic.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If anything we all pretty much agreeing that a techer is essentially caught between a rock and a hard place.
    Legally allowed to do something but opening themselves up to all sorts of hassle if they do.
    Not adequately backed up by the system, the parents and often even other teachers is how I would put it.

15. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

That's a joke, right?

16. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Nobody has been wishy washy here. Most of us agreed that since she was physically smaller and in more danger she had every right to hit first.

17. holyheadjch

No. I'm starting to think you don't know what 'wishy washy' means.

18. 47MartialMan

I agree

19. cammerin

cammerin Valued Member

wow, thats called american violence

20. 47MartialMan

Not quite. American Violence can get more nasty than that.