Tazers- Where to purchase?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by KageAkuma, Nov 17, 2007.

1. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a quality tazer (Non-shooting) to purchase for my girlfriend. I haven't purchased a tazer before so I would appreciate any tips. (Although it seems a bit straight forward but you get what I mean).

EDIT: I just realized this may be better placed in the Women's Self Defense forum, but I'll let a mod decide that.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Why do you want to zap her ??

Smurf :D :D

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I hear they like them up Canada way eh. :D

You can also try Florida. :p

4. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Taser International sells them online, designed for civilian use with a choice of colours (pink included! :p ) : www.taser.com

5. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Thanks for the site. I'm looking for a non-shooting tazer though, which I didn't see on the website. Something that looks like this: [​IMG]

6. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

You can get the mini tasers for women, ones that come in the form of a 'pen' or other inconspicuous item ;)

Can't remember where I was looking at them so this is useless :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about the law on buying these depending on what country you're in, you might want to check that first if you haven't already.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Anyone from the Uk -<< DO NOT BE TEMPTED >>- These are classed as firearms and will result in 3 policemen, 7 customs officers and a couple of anti-terrorist people knocking on your door very early & loudly.

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

yip. these are illegal in the uk.

Its a stun gun your after mate, not a tazer. tazer by default shoot the barbs.

9. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I think what you're looking for are stun batons/guns. Found a supplier here:http://www.actionstunguns.com/blackcobrastunguns.htm

10. slipthejab

Funny enough... as a kid (13-14) we somehow ended up with one of these. Boy did my mom kick our asses when she caught us with it. I remember her gettin' us up against the wall and asking if we were so bad ass then we wouldn't mind her using it on us!!

Needless to say we remained sheepishly silent.
    With that little blue arc crackling in front of your face who's going to speak up.
    Not me. :p

11. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

I live in the United States and I asked 2 separate ex-police officers if it was legal in my state and they gave me the all clear. You can buy stun guns at local gun shops around here. Thanks for the head's up though.

Lol. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking the terms stun gun and tazer were synonyms.

Thanks for the site. Does anyone know if that's a quality stun gun?

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

better check your local laws, first and make sure they're legal in your state.

EDIT: Here's the relevant laws...

Or. Rev. Stat. § 161.015. General definitions (Crimes and Punishments)
    (1) "Dangerous weapon" means any weapon, device, instrument, material or substance which under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used or
    threatened to be used, is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury.
    (6) "Physical force" includes, but is not limited to, the use of an electrical stun gun, tear gas or mace.
    Or. Rev. Stat. § 163.212. Unlawful use of an electrical stun gun, tear gas or mace in the second degree.
    (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful use of an electrical stun gun, tear gas or mace in the second degree if the person recklessly discharges an electrical
    stun gun, tear gas weapon, mace, tear gas, pepper mace or any similar deleterious agent against another person.
    (2) Unlawful use of an electrical stun gun, tear gas or mace in the second degree is a Class A misdemeanor.
    Or. Rev. Stat. § 163.213. Unlawful use of an electrical stun gun, tear gas or mace in the first degree.
    (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful use of an electrical stun gun, tear gas or mace in the first degree if the person knowingly discharges or causes to be
    discharged any electrical stun gun, tear gas weapon, mace, tear gas, pepper mace or any similar deleterious agent against another person, knowing the other
    person to be a peace officer, corrections officer, parole and probation officer, firefighter or emergency medical technician or paramedic and while the other person
    is acting in the course of official duty.
    (2) Unlawful use of an electrical stun gun, tear gas or mace in the first degree is a Class C felony.

13. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Thank you for posting the exact law. I was having difficulty finding it on my own.

I'm interpreting that as saying "As long as you don't discharge it recklessly, use it as an offense weapon, or use it against a cop it's legal." Would that be the correct interpretation?

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'd check with your local law enforcement folks for a good interpretation as I don't practice in Oregon. My concern would be § 163.212(1) and the definition of "reckless discharge".

I'd also check because I know for a fact that many of the online guides regarding the legality of tasers are not 100% correct as they insist on referring to them as legal in PA, where I practice, when PA's prohibited offensive weapon statute specifically lists tasers and stun guns as illegal to possess.

15. Sgt_Major

I got one of these discharged in the small of my back by a mate at a party.

I had to change my trousers afterwards, and wring out my socks :p

16. slipthejab

HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Crazy. That just sounds painful.
    Oh well.. suppose it could have been worse. He could have tazed your taint!:eek:

17. Sgt_Major

:p

I was drunk and chatting to another mate, never even saw it coming, just heard the crackle and was on the floor ... lol

18. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

You could also inquire at the local firearms store as they sell similar products, and find out if you would have to take some sort of class to be able to carry/use one when needed.

19. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

So I called the local police station and essentially they said that as long as you don't walk into any government building or school you can carry it. Also if used in a self defense scenario it's perfectly fine as long as you aren't considered the aggressor.

Problem is she goes to a private college on a daily basis (Which would make carrying it inside their building illegal) so that kinda throws a wrench into my idea.

20. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

careful about accidentally transporting to another state where it might be illegal. Moderately funny story: my wife will not allow firearms in the house. Outside of hunting season I keep my shotguns at a friend's house in a safe. In season I keep them locked in the trunk of my car (perfectly legal as long as there is no ammo in the same compartment). I know this will cause a problem some day when I park at the airport or police dogs smell it on the street.

Even if there is no legally required class, find some kind of training. I'd say a stun gun is probably more realistic than pepper spray. Still, in a typical close-quarters female SD situation, it would not be easy to get the thing out, apply it to attacker, take off whatever kind of safety there is, and zap him.