Taxis for Women

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by karate princess, Aug 9, 2006.

1. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I'm not sure if this is classed as self defense (although I think it is)...

Anyway, a woman from my area has decided to open a womans only taxi company, that only employ female drivers and only pick up female passengers. I think this is a fabulous idea, especially with all the assults and other horrible things that some taxi drivers do.
    Has anyone heard of any other companies simular to this, because suprisinly I haven't and it's such a good idea that I'm also suprised that there aren't loads of these companies.

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Don't get me wrong here, I'm definitely not against the idea, but can't they get done under the sexual discrimination act for not employing males?

There's probably some clause that allows it like; anyone know of it?

(sorry if this turns in to a thread hijack!)

3. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

No, don't worry, I was wondering that too, but I forgot to include it and couldn't be bothered at that particular time to go back and add it it. But I'm intrested too...

4. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

I remember a female only cab company in East London about ten years ago, no idea if they're still going or not tho. With the new laws about licensing of cabs and drivers it's much safer to get a (legal) mini-cab that it ever has been.

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey KP, I've never heard of that but I know when I need a cab at night I ring the cab company and ask for a female driver instead of waiting at a cab stop.

But as pointed out it would probably be discriminatory to have such a hiring policy.

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

The closest I've heard of it is a minicab company that did regular work for the Medical School I used to work for. They had one female driver who you could specifically ask for if you wanted.

Other than that I think it's a fantastic idea, and one for which, IMO, any discrimination rules should be waived.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just a note on cabs on this side of the world - while Hong Kong is generally safe for women to take a cab at pretty much any hour of the day or night there have been many instances (and surely many more unreported) of newly immigrated Indonesian domestic helpers (second class citizens in Hong Kong) that have hopped in a cab and then driven to a remote location and raped. The cab driver knowing the person will most likely not know Hong Kong very well and won't realize what's about to transpire. I personally know several that this has happened to and it's tragic - the government refuses to acknowledge that there is any problem of this sort... as I stated Indonesian domestic help are considered second class citizens by local Chinese.

In Bangkok women taking a cab is generally ok during the daytime for foreign women tourists - but at night it becomes risky. There are many cases of women being raped etc. The same goes for tuk-tuks (three wheeled moto-taxi's)... often they work with gangs that rob the tuk-tuk driver and rape the woman - that way they stay viable as a criminal enterprise for longer when the taxi also reports he was robbed as well.

For Thai women taking a taxi at night is an incredibely risky business. There have even been instances of taxi's that lock the passenger in completely and then they are gassed by the driver via a rigged up system. It sounds crazy and I'd have never believe it unless I had lived there for a while and got to know the place well.

It's a crazy world we live and you have to find a fine balance between being supsicious of every person you come in contact with and being comfortable to get on with life and be aware.

As a woman never ever kid yourself that predators and opportunist's don't exist. It's an ugly fact that many men don't want to admit to themselves and many women want to believe will never happen to them but unfortunately it's incredibley common. :cry:

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Great post Slip! To be forwarned is to be forarmed! I like the thinking though KP!

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

While personally I think its not a bad idea, in the US there would be lawsuits flying with the first cab on the road.....

10. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I think you'll find your probably right!

If memory serves there are various clauses that allow places to hire specific groups of individuals. For example a shelter for female victims of domestic violence can hire only women, as their clients could very well feel intimidated or even traumatised by the presence of men. Or a restaurant may hire people from a certain ethnic background on the grounds that it creates an authentic atmosphere within the restaurant.

11. Bloo

Bloo New Member

In Manchester we have a female only driver/passanger firm starting up and for years have have taxi firms in the gay village supplying sound taxi drivers that you can reley on to get you home safe and sound. At first i thought it was a bit over the top but after several leering taxi drivers asking me inappropriate questions at 4am when i am a little worse for wear i understand the need. If nothing else it allows for peace of mind for yourself and loved ones.

12. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

By the looks of thing it would be better to not get a cab, just keep a brick in your bag and swing it at everyone who looks at you funnily - safest place to be is in a police cell on ABH charges :rolleyes:

13. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Well that's one way to think of it!

14. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

Well it' s what I do every saturday night after work ;)

15. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

A good idea when getting in a cab is to text the registration number to a friend and just let the driver know you have done it, obviously politely.

Not I think your a perve so that is why I am doing it....just say "hope you don't mind, but this is a procedure that all my friends do, so we don't worry so much about eachother".

Just make sure it is a licensed cab.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

16. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I cant imagine it being illegal. Especially with diamon/sheilas wheels comming about as insurance companies just for women. I think its a fantastic idea, although a friend of mine actually is in partnership with a local martial arts company to taxi students around when classes finish/start. Its a great way to keep the same drivers going, not discriminate because your using the same driver and also for the driver to even perhaps recieve free lessons? But even as a man i think thats a fantastic idea...now if only i can find a taxi for me :cry: lol