Taught what areas of Attack and Defend

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

im going to try this again.

In your training,

What is the primary area of your attacker that you look at?

what is the focal point of your attack?

while defending yourself from attack how many strikes do you feel it would take to bring an assaliant down. (average size)

are Katas a basis of training? I.E. are they just stuff throw together throughout your art or are they actual techs and stuff that you learn put together for a form or Kata.

Salute,

Blue

2. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

For me...

1. Face on the main.
    2. The opponent.
    3. ? I would expect to throw say 5-6. no one-punch-wonder here
    4. Forms. No way.

3. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

I watch the center of my opponent's collarbone. Eliminate your direct vision and see everything in your periphial. Don't watch your opponent's hands, see them.

4. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

please explain, why no forms or Kata.

the opponent as a whole or chest. center line, head, legs etc....

Face on the Main????? looking at the face wouldnt that cause tunnel vision?

Salute,

Blue

5. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Nice thread thread Shou shu blue.

Personally...(Although purely theory I admit having not been in too many sd situations thankfully.)

I look at the shoulders. Primarily I would attack at the eyes/jaw/throat if I felt threatened enough. Nose and limbs at lower levels of agression, although I hope I would hope that I could talk my way out of it at lower levels...body strikes would come if they were presented.

the number of strikes will vary since I could miss, they could be tough, etc. Enough to stop me having to defend myself.

Our forms are a dictionary of techniques. Like words, they can be utilised in varying situations, therefore they are not the exact copy of what they are represented by in the form.

May I ask what this salute business means?

6. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

the face is the main target. Front of it obviously. Whilst it is good to know all the popular weakpoints etc, in general I'd just aim for the face. Acuracy is very diificult with all that adrenaline and a moving unpredictable target. With my boxing punches I can change the angle mid punch (to 'folllow' the target) to an extent or if I miss, go for a clinch or simply throw the other fist/palm on the modified line.

The opponent is where I'd be looking. I'd try to keep a wider perspective although that is another problem with adrenaline, you loose peripheral vision. I'd look at the target so generally the face.

I'm not a believer in forms/patterns on the whole. I think thayt they have a small place in solo training provided that the pracvtitioner understands and practices applying them against resistant opponents. But all in all, there are better ways to train IMO.

7. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I feel that I tend to look through my opponent when sparring, and dont focus on any particular area. I feel when you are looking in detail you miss movement.

In stand up sparring I try and mix it up and dont try to focus on one area of attack. But in essence I would say the main area of attack would tend to be the head. In groundwork my main focus of attack is gaining good position.

while defending yourself from attack how many strikes do you feel it would take to bring an assaliant down. (average size)

One if Iam lucky. As many as it takes if I am not.

are Katas a basis of training? I.E. are they just stuff throw together throughout your art or are they actual techs and stuff that you learn put together for a form or Kata.

Katas are part of my training and we also do applications of kata as much as doing the form itself. Personally I find theres a lot to the Katas but would nt say their necessary to make a good fighter. The last place I trained at never did Katas and I have to say I missed learning forms when I was there.

8. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

Chest or hips. Depends on their posture, mostly.

Whatever is open. I know that's a cop out answer, but I'm not going to attack any area that is being well protected.

Obviously it depends on the person. 3-5 well placed strikes, typically, although some people will go down after one shot, some people will smile as you pound them in the face repeatedly.

No.

9. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Salute is a form of respect for anyone. since you cannot see me placing my left open hand together with my right closed fist. it shows respect to all that read my posts.

Salute,

Blue

10. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

I look at that chin, throat or chest. it keeps me from getting tunnel vision.

unprotected areas. usually mid section, strikes to the face.

3-5 for the most part.

Katas or Forms are a big part of learning for me. the Kata's shows me isolated movements (they are in our techs but done in different application) and since they arent done combat speed gives me the chance to work on the timing and fluid movement. the Kata's with tech compiled to make them allows me when practicing to do the tech in a different aspect on the move from one the other. as with just practicing it one at a time you become linear.

Salute,

Blue

11. xuande

xuande New Member

I don't know about a specific point but shoulders/collarbone area gives me a good idea of what they intend to do with their hands.

As much as possible going for the centerline and most important denying them access to mine.

It would depend on how they are attacking. Going for punches and kicks 3-5 should do it. But all it takes is one properly executed chi na technique to control you opponent, then if you wanted to pummel them take as many hits as you want.

Sets are just rough guidelines of what combination of techniques and in what direction you'd want to do them. As my SiFu says, at any point I should be able to utilize the technique I'm about to do and through some small modification make it work no matter how big or small they are and wether it's a punch or kick. Everytime I revisit a set I find new applications. So the short answer is yes.

12. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Shift my gaze-mostly center of chest,up to face.Don't focus on one area.

Focal point of attack-head and surrounding area for hands,groin/knees for kicks

# of attacks-unsure. never fought outside of my job(where I can't strike,rely on grappling/takedowns),maybe 3-8.

Forms/kata are part of training.They teach combo's,principles of movement,etc.

We also do sparring forms-If I am attacker I do set attacks,defender blocks them or moves(or gets hit),when we reach end defender immediately becomes attacker-attacker immediately becomes defender.

13. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

For me, it is like focusing on nothing, and seeing everyting. My eyes are on the opponent, but not focused.

On the street, If it's soft, I'll hit it. In the ring, I am a headhunter.

Just enough to distract him from the impending takedown, be it a double leg, a salto, an uchimata or an underhook toss.

Not in my training. Katas are important for fine-tuning techniques, but I just prefer to shadowbox.

14. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

That is an interesting way training. never thought to set up a training session in that manner. sounds beneficial.

Salute,

15. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Yeah, until after about 10 minutes of this you are ready to fall over, you look like you just jumped out of a shower,your arms(or whatever kept getting hit) are becoming solid bruises and you realise you still have 30 minutes of class left.

Other than that, yeah, it's great fun!

16. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

now that i think about it that sounds like our reaction drills. we determine who the attacker is and he just throws attacks at you and you defend. no preset attacks just what evercomes to the guys mind.

Salute,

17. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Guitar wielding maniac

I focus toward the ground when Im fighting or sparring (see my post in the multiple attackers thread) because I never know when someone else will step in (especially when sparring with my friends, lol).

I usually attack the solar plexus with a verticle punch or side kick, knees with a stomp or sweep, or temples with a ridge or knife hand strike at first, just depends on what's open.

3 or 4, any more than that, Id probably try to get out of there.

I dont practice katas at all, especially since I started Wing Chun, I practice individual techniques and short combos. I find that learning isolated components is more effective for me than trying to memorize sequences.

18. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Typically the base of the neck, mainly positioned in the feild of view of one eye (this allows you to react faster as it's cognatively bypassing a lot of needless information processing in the brain). The view is difuse taking in the entire environment and the whole body of your attacker. We don't look at the eyes or the hands because both lie.

Depends on what's open. We usually tend to overload either the high or the low line in order to break down the other. In general, I tend to work outside in using the Filipino principle of defanging the snake. Once I know that there aren't foriegn objects involved I'll probably be going after the head with palms/elbows to shut down their computer. However. it that's heavily guarded then I'm moving for the legs and body.

From once I've established a point of dominance, it shouldn't take more than three. However, in the end it's going to take as many as it takes. Because sometimes techniques don't land.

We have two tools in this respect. We have a few complete forms. However, much of what we do is traught in training sets. These can vary from a few moves to something that resembles a short form. The idea of these is that they're extremely flexible and can easily be switched in and out. They act as beads from which a necklace can be made, broken apart, and assembled in another order. We typically drill these with partners and varying degrees of resistance.

- Matt