Taught A No-Gi Class Last Night

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Pretty In Pink, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

First time teaching in the Academy. I was absolutely thrilled to get the opportunity. My instructor was out of town this weekend and me and another purple belt were the highest grades available. So I took the white belts and the other lad took the colour belts as he is my senior. He did offer to swap because I have more no-gi experience but I was happy to teach white belts which by the way is easily the more difficult of the two! My friend got away with a few techniques and half an hour of rolling. I had to teach for 45 minutes and be super careful because all the white belts are more prone to injuring each other I got the experienced white belts to roll with everyone else whilst my group did lots of positional stuff and had one free roll. They knew how anxious I was about injuries so they kept themselves very well behaved and everyone had a good class. It was really exciting to take part. Really hoping to get on to the rota for teaching Sunday classes.

I'm so buzzing! Easily one of the proudest moments in my martial arts career!

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Awesome to hear! Teaching is very rewarding - I find that the more I teach the more ways I find to refine my own techniques.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Happy for you, man :)

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That's great to read! Teaching adds a whole new perspective and extra observational skills on techniques.

Nice going :)

:cool:

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Sweet, man! That you would even be asked to do it means that you're coming along well in your training! ::applause:: I remember covering for the instructor once. It is fun. :D

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's strange, as sometimes you think, "I don't know what I'm going to teach, as I know nothing".

Other times you'll rattle on for hours on the smallest of details.

7. Pretty In Pink

The great thing about BJJ is the amount of techniques gives you a lot of options and variations. The downside is picking something that's a) safer for white belts and b) easier to do. I did get caught out for a minute when I realised I was ahead of time. Luckily I remembered the lock flow from the week before and espoused some of the finer details I had asked about myself last week.

Mushroom and axelb like this.
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well done, sir!

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I train under my Instructor on a Sunday morning. Bits of his class often appear in my lessons during the following week :D

10. Pretty In Pink

It's all just fighting at the end of the day.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's nothing quite like trying to teach something to make you really look at a technique and properly understand it.

Mitch, aikiMac and StooXex like this.