Taser

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Princess Haru, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Is there any defence against a taser, like say a particular type of material that would prevent it piercing the skin? Seems every Police force in the UK have them now and are only too happy to use them at the slightest hint of aggrevation. I find this more than a bit frightening.... which is not to say if I lived in one of the gun states that I would wear body armor everywhere unless they are making some items a bit less bulky than on the average crime drama like The Killing (Forbrydelsen)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Although I am a Taser instructor I have yet to deploy it "live", but have seen it used and have been tazed myself.

In short yes - thick clothing

In reality the taser is a bit hit and miss anyway. I advocate "contact deployment" rather than the "party popper" standard approach because it is more acurate, successful and mitigates clothing obtacles better.

However, the phrase "slightest hint of aggravation" is sloppy - do you mean physical aggravation or threat of same or do you mean soneone being a bit of a douche. If the latter then it should not be deployed - if the former then it is a valid option depending on the other factors.

The easy way not to get tasered is to do as you are told when it is pointing at you.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Hannibal, are Tasers effective against Zombies? Just curious.

4. Hannibal

TASER’s are effective at disrupting zombies’ neuromuscular systems, effectively firing the muscles as they would in a non-walker. Although they do not respond to the pain, the physical lockup is identical. As with all tazer deployment a secondary weapon system on hand is strongly advised. Drive stuns should be avoided due to proximity risk

The recommended 5 second cycle does not apply against the undead.

In cases of advance decomposition alternative weapons should be deployed

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would be a worthy addition to an anti-Zombie arsenal. It may be but I agree with the proximity issues.

Although it could be useful in an escape scenario where you encounter a single Zombie and want to avoid gun fire as the sound would attract other Zeeks.

6. Hannibal

The "taktaktaktak" of the tazer can too - its best used to clear single walkers or for dealing with human menaces where lethality may not be desirable

7. Princess Haru

I'm thinking more the case of 'wrong place, wrong time'. Ian Tomlinson didn't do anything in order to get truncheoned, and that blind guy with a walking stick too didn't do anything in order to get tasered. Both were evidence of situations where some Police officers don't respond well to pressure situations and use whatever means. Partly I would worry about the health aspects and while it's probably been tested on many people no average will save you from an undiagnosed heart condition if you are dead.

8. Hannibal

It is by and large a training issue - tazers are pretty much safe when used in the correct situation....in the back with someone not responding to verbals is NOT one of them

The risk they pose is minimal, but is present regardless. But like everything else, dog bites man is not news

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Effect will be identical, however still do not believe TASER would be as effective as the after effect for a live human would result in the tasered individual writhing in pain and thus re-evaluating the aggression against the Officers. Once the electrical effect finishes its course, your one clip (based on your TASER model) is finished and then having to revert back to conventional elimination of Zombies.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I personally do not carry a TASER (I have in the past but no longer do, yet still maintain my certification) but thick clothing is really the only defense against deployment as it will prevent the barbs from penetrating the skin, which will not cause neuro-muscular incapacitation. In PA people tend to wear a lot of layers of clothing so I often see TASERs fail to work. Contact stuns work but it's more a pain compliance tool (but it does hurt like heck).

11. Napitenkah

Napitenkah Valued Member

I have a taser, but just keep it in my vehicle.

I mean, if you are going to be attacked by a zombie, it will probably be when you are getting into your car.

If it was the slow moving zombies, I would just use him like Bob doll, and have a work out. If more lurch slowly up, try doing multiple attack defenses and forms.

If it is the ones that can sprint after you, then the taser shock would do little when he plows into you and bites your face.

If it is the Michael Jackson type that can dance, just have thriller in the vehicle CD player.

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Funny taser story:

I'm at a gun show with an old friend/coworker watching this salesman woo a crowd with talk of how, "this taser will stop anyone immediately," or some such nonsense. The moment the sales guy makes that statement, my buddy picked up his display model, tasered himself with it without any noticeable reaction, went "hum?," and casually walked away. The small crowd and salesman all stopped mid-presentation to watch him do it. The salesman immediately attempted to resume his pitch like nothing had happened. It was so perfectly timed it looked staged. Hilarious. (That colleague used to taser himself on the drive home to keep himself awake though.)

13. Princess Haru

14. Hannibal

And what do you suggest instead? She got tazed for not complying - the alternative was physically gaining compliance, which often menus being Very hands on

I have no sympathy at all for her

15. Princess Haru

Well, we have Ed Milliband in the UK saying British residents of whatever heritage should have an understanding of English. I'm not sure if this Chinese woman in the US was resident but not understanding seemed a weak defence if she was. How hard is it to march someone out a building? In Cambridge if you try taking pictures/video in a shopping area it will be a matter of minutes before being forced to stop taking pictures/video. Thanks CCTV. Latest stats say France is now higher on the snooping charts than UK, whoopee

16. Princess Haru

menus? would you like a wristlock with this removal from the premises? ;)

17. Hannibal

And when that doesn't work because she is not compliant?

She was down because they could not remove her
    - that's why she got tazed. Not "oh look, light her up"

Wrist locks are hard to get on resistive people - you need to stun then first, usually with strikes. Now me I would probably have choked her out, but that is again after she did not comply

Who's fault is it? All hers

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Sure, an officer could have tried to use say a joint lock or other kind of restraining maneuver on her. However, despite whatever noble intentions others may hold, police officers don't get paid enough to possibly put themselves in a bad situation and need to do whatever it takes to handle the situation safely for themselves as well.

Officers get injured all the time from fighting a resisting subject. A friend of mine on the force, who is a competitive bodybuilder of all things, dislocated his shoulder performing an arm bar takedown on a drunk female outside of a local bar and is still off of work. Fortunately for him his wife works so they're not losing too much money, but keep in mind they have bills to pay and mouths to feed too. Our health insurance typically sucks and if we get hurt we're not always well taken care of.

From my own experience, I got involved in a foot chase with a heavy guy (which didn't last very long) who was just drunk and acting the fool. He ended up face planting after only 10 yards or so, but at the exact same time I was going to grab him. He toppled, I tripped right over him, and ended up banging my knee off of a concrete barrier which left me limping for days. Fortunately it was nothing serious, but that was a minor thing that I got hurt just engaging in.

Our job isn't to be chivalrous knights who toss aside our gunbelts to fight the unarmed bad guy in a fair fist fight. It's to win with the least amount of trouble from both our and the subject's end plain and simple.

19. Hannibal

Very hard if they don't want to go - try it sometime in class to see

20. Princess Haru

That would be an interesting drill, if we had something like jwt's protective gear in class