Target hardening

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

What advice do you give to people to make them a harder target for attackers? Bu this I mean an attacker is less likely to choose them as a victim?

Budo.

2. ranger

ranger New Member

intimidation usually works but maybe not to desperate muggers or criminals. before i would always advice my lady friends to be cautious in travel, be alert and don't travel alone or dark places etc. you know what i mean and yet i was almost mug! what kind of attack do you mean? from whom? :)

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Natural preditors never go after the healthy members of the herd. Same with humans. Those who look alter and pay attention to their surroundings appear far more difficult targets than those with their heads down.

Ultimately criminals don't want to be:
    1. Hurt
    2. Caught

Keeping that in mind, anyone who looks like they might confront/pose trouble will usually be avoided. The only exception to this rule is a true sociopath. In that case all bets are off.

- Matt

4. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Some interesting points.

Ranger I think the use of overt aggression can work, but it's a serious judgemnt call. As for the type of attacker think street crime. Saying that what about those who just want to fight? How do you make yourself less of a target?

I agree that situational awareness is a big part of it Matt, but what other things can you do to reduce the probabilities of being a victim?

Budo.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  5. MightyMike

MightyMike New Member

My old teacher's daytime job was as a policeman. He used to tell us that most police reports stated that most fights begin because "the victim was looking at the aggressor" ie. The aggressor would say "what are you looking at!" to the victim.

It's difficult to say, but i would try to appear non agressive but not scared either.

6. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Mike,

That is true for a fight with some A-hole in a bar but what we are talking about is walking the street and looking like a target for a rapist, mugger, robber, pickpocket, conman or whomever.

If you walk down the street with your head down and avoid eye contact with everyone you meet a criminal will immediately pick up on that and pick you as target.

Why; because they know you are not expecting it, you will not be able to remember what they looked like and that you are already scared of a confrontation so you are an easy victim.

So just remember keep your head up, look around, make eye contact, smile & say hello to people. (Especially ones that make you nervous!)

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

7. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Being aware of the surroundings and whatever threats are there is a good start for most ppl. Probably 80% of ppl walk around in a complete fog and are easy targets for wouldbe muggers etc.

Walk confidently, keep your alertness and be prepared for action. Dont make yourself a victim!

It is important to regularly practice self defence techniques, we do this in our dojo but not enough for my liking. You have to work hard to get over the adrenal dump and make the response time quicker!

Last nite we practiced choke escapes and delta defence techniques with 3 attackers..... it was bloody knackering! ;) By the end of it I had drunk nearly 3 litres of water!

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

A few options:

1. Go to the gym every day, hit the roids and eat a ton. Become huge. Nobody wants to mess.

2. Be aware of what's around and keep your head up, don't stare people down and try not to walk through dark dodgy areas at night. Also, if you think you're being followed, leg it. Who cares what they think if they're not after you. If you see a big group of scrotes hanging around, take the long way round. Don't bother trying to be the big hard man and walk through. Better safe than sorry. Hide jewelery and watches etc.

3. Maybe walk around with an AK 47 and a samurai sword.

4. Or just dress in full ninja suit and tabi boots, and sneak around like a crazy fool.

5. Become a mugger.

6. Never leave the house. BUT NO! what if someone breaks in?!? ARGH! PARANOIA! ARGH!

7. Hire security

8. Go everywhere by taxi or car... or gyrocoptor.

9. Walk around like you have just escaped from the local mental health institute, cursing and twitching. When someone comes too close or speaks to you, go crazy and start freaking out, screaming, crossing your eyes and smacking yourself upside the head. Then get your bits out and shake them around.

10. Change your name to Peter Parker, get bitten by some crazy spider and utilise badass new arachnid powers to swing from building to building, thus avoiding said muggers/rapists.

I choose number 2 :D

9. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

How about a combo of #2 and #3? :D

ALERTNESS! Alertness is the first principle of self-defense and without it all other principles are feckless.

Be a lert, be alive. :love:

10. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I make a difference between situational awareness and personal awareness.

Where as givinng off the signals that you are aware of your surroundings is a BIG one, it is not a sure fire way of stopping you becoming a victim. What other things would you advise to make yourself a harder target?

When you go to an ATM, do you use the one facing the street or go into a bank?

When out at night do you use your mobile or use a payphone when calling a cab home? Where do you stand when making this call?

When you go out how much do you drink? How many people do you go out with? Do you use the same bars/clubs/pubs? How dressed up do you get?

When paying for items in a shop, do you use cash from a wallet/purse or from your pocket? Do you prefer plastic?

What tactics/ideas do you have for making yourself a harder target?

Budo

11. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I use the ATM in the bank
    I don't go out alone and never use cabs.
    Also don't drink much ... [hic!]
    Definitely hit the plastic cos I never carry cash.

I always wear clothes I can kick and run in, plus good footwear I can kick well in! :D

12. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Very wise Reiki, but could you explain why you do these things (except for the clothes, 'cos you've covered that :))

Budo.

13. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Being prepared....

I hate using the ATM on the street, too many yobbos! Also its inconvenient.

If I do use an ATM [which is rare] I will use one at the bank or get cash from the EFTPOS machines in the shops.

Generally I dont carry a lot of cash because I SPEND it! :woo:

With everything going on in my life these days [!] I don't tend to go out alone or go out much at all, if I do go out it's normally with my family or my partner.

I live too far away from the city and there aren't any cabs in the countryside, only horses, and they don't take EFTPOS! :rolleyes:

I'm not drinking much anymore because I'm starting my preparation for grading and want get fitter... :Angel:

And the clothing - u already know why! I like to be prepared for anything.

If I'm in my car I have the doors locked. Behind the seat is a pair of sticks just in case. In my handbag are a couple of nice things... kubotan & ninja stick.

If u look like u mean business then the yobbos tend to leave u alone. The confidence comes from within and is obvious.

I would also not tend to be overdressed in an area where it is known to be a "trouble" spot. Don't wear the flash jewellery and watches where there are desperate people.... or if u do have them where they cant see them. Dont advertise - in the words of Geoff Thompson.