Target 2006

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by DL.Demolition, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ember

ember Valued Member

Any updates? How'd you do?

I think I came pretty close.

2. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Not quite yet... hopefully soon tho.

My balance has improved through improving technique (e.g. it's becoming more habit to keep my knees slightly bent, my back straight, head up), but also by being a lot more relaxed, especially when in motion. Still something for me to work on tho.

Application of technique is improving too. Found someone at my dojang that I can do more "free form" work with, and that's been useful.

So, I'm happy with my progress so far.

3. KoreanWarrior

KoreanWarrior Valued Member

I think David won grand champion. I guess that means Hwarang didnt win again? eh? ChoiyoungWoo?

PPV Special

Octogon David versus Hwarang A fight to a knockout.

Now I would pay for that!

4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Why, to create even more division in the school. NO, this is something that neither he or I would do. My issues with PSBN are on a personal level, and I don't let that effect my training or the training of others, unlike some people. I respect Dave alot, he was there for KJN when no one else could, or would. And anybody who helps my teacher is ok with me. Now, no one would say that we are drinking buddies, but do we have to be?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  5. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm trying to think whether a matchup between hwarang_cl and PSBN Scot would be better, worse, or the same. I know I've watched PSBN David and PSBN Scot spar / wrestle before, it's pretty impressive.

But with all due respect, a conversation on sparring like this really belongs more in this thread:
    Grade for grade fighter

6. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

Update! I've been lurking around MAP for a while, so here's my contribution!

I still think he does! :D

For those of you who don't know, I went to Cambridge the day after my blue belt testing. I was promoted on the day, so that's that goal out of the way.

Ki Bohn Soo remains difficult to get to grips with, but the other sets feel more natural. Left handed techniques are a lot easier, even though I haven't been practising them particularly much.

Fitness has gone completely down the drain since I stopped going to class regularly due to uni work. Hopefully this will change next term.

I think I've learned enough for class. If I was ever to plan a trip to Korea, I would grab a Korean pack out of the language unit in the Engineering department, but until then, I see no need to devote any more time to it.

Well due to problems with uni, I was unable to go to Birmingham but I have my sights firmly on the European tournament next June! Unfortunately the Scottish falls during term time.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!

7. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I know I wanted to strengthen my ankles/ not have to wear braces when I train. And I wanted to have a greater understanding of my techniques. Also I wanted to shore up some differences with myself and some of the other people in KSW/WKSA.

- My ankles are better, I don't have to wear my braces anymore, I wear them more for a protective measure.

- I feel I have learned alot about how/why certain techniques are done, more understanding of the different principles

- And 4/5 people I wanted to make ammends with, have. I wouldn't say we are the best of friends, but it's a working progress, we are atleast civil with each other, so I guess that counts for something.

In 2007 I want to gain more cardiovascular health, and I'd like to win a grandchampion before my promotion to 4th. (I had one when I was JKN, but due to the rules of the grandchampionship, It was taken away and given to someone else.) But you win some you lose some. I also want to develop my sword cutting more, and start on yuk gum, and dang sahn gum cutting. And I want to visit more schools this year, either in the US or the EU. So I guess I'll see you when I see you. I'd also like to be preceived more tolerant than I am of mistakes, especially my own.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  8. ember

ember Valued Member

For 2007, I want to get handsprings down.

My forms need more practice, especially left-side. I'd like to improve my knife-throwing and archery. And more work on my high and low spin kicks.

Keep working on techniques, breaking and sparring. (I'd like a Grand Champion sometime, too.)

Not a whole lot of specific goals yet, I guess I'll figure them out as I go along.

9. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

Target 2007

Okay, my targets for 2007:

I plan to compete in the 2007 European. Unfortunately the Scottish falls within term time, so I'll be unable to take part in that. Most of my goals for the first half of 2007 are geared towards the competition.

For the tournament:

Sharpen up forms. My forms up until now have been quite shabby. I would like to have them looking smooth and relaxed by the time of the tournament. Going back to basics

Techniques. Now that I can remember the basic movements of the techniques, I would like to start refining them and getting them to work on a variety of people.

One thing that I have not done much of is sparring. There is very little in the way of material and it's not as it's something you can learn on your own. Hopefully I can get some practice done in the Cambridge class.

Obviously it goes without saying that improving flexibility, kicks and striking power are all aims for the future.

All in all I would just like to see a steady improvement in my abilities over the course of these seven months or so.