Taping Hand Wraps

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by SCP_Kensei, Aug 6, 2006.

1. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Okay so I can wrap my hands, have been doing so for a while now.

What I want to know is a good method for Taping the wraps down so they dont shift in a fight. I want good, strong, ring legal ways please?

Anyone have any online guides etc...?

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

If you just want something to hold your wraps in place, then just loop the tape around the back/palm of hand (1 inch back from the knuckles) and loop around the wrist as well.

If you want to get fancier about it, you are also allowed to run tape between your knuckles. If memory serves me correctly, you are not supposed to use more than 1/2 a roll of athletic tape per hand.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmmm... maybe I am misunderstanding you but when I fight I don't use the same wraps that I train in. My wraps for training are only for that. They are too bulky and in some ways serve a different purpose than my taped hands in a fight.

My trainer usually does the taping and wrapping. It's an art in itself. It basically turns your hand into a club. One solid piece with very little shift in any dimension. What I notice most... is that when he's taping I can feel him essentially building the hand up. With each strap of tape I can feel the structure being built into my fist basically.

The way the knuckles are padded is really quite different from how you'd wrap with a pair of training wraps.

Every trainer has a distinct style of taping they do for their fighters. There are as probably as many variations as there are fighters. And as Khun Kao pointed out there are some restrictions per sanctioning bodies as to just how much tape you can use per hand. Though many of the bouts I've fought these sorts of checks have been very lax and I've often wondered if someone didn't tape a horseshoe into their glove.

At least it feels that way sometimes. :D

Here is some info that you might want to look at:

source: http://www.wbcboxing.com/wbcboxing/portal/cfpages/contentmgr.cfm?docId=89&docTipo=1

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  4. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Contact the promoter of the event to see what is legal. Some may have stringent rules, some may not care. My guess is that, in America at least, they follow the regulations of U.S. Boxin. Depending on what they allow, that's what you should do. Ask your trainer, too.

5. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Maybe this is a better question for your Kru, if you mean taping your hands for the fight then he will have method of doing this and tape them himself. But if you mean just for general use around the gym then you could just tape them in a basic way as this should do the job.

6. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I'm looking for some guides so that I can do them myself, and experiment with systems that suit me. Although when I have Thai fights my Kru will be there, I also travel around and do a lot of Light continuous kickboxing stuff, which quite often my kru cant attend. I'm just sick of having to tie and retie my wraps several times a day.