Tank Abbot

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Lucharaan, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

This is one of Tank's commetns on martial artists when he first came in to the octagon:

"The UFC wanted to make an example out of me. They wanted to show how their martial artists could beat up the big, bad street fighter. They called me Tank, because they wanted me to be a real life version of Tank Murdoch, the street fighter in the movie 'Every Which Way But Loose'. I saw all these guys fighting in the UFC, and I thought, 'These guys right here don't know how to fight.' They go to a dojo, and they think they know how to fight? I'd been fighting in the streets all my life. It's different than going to a karate dojo and pretend fighting. You're actually fighting for your life. There are no rules, and anything can happen. So I went in there and said, 'Listen, I'll show you mothers how to fight.' No one knew that I had been wrestling longer than most of the guys in there, and I probably boxed longer than them as well. They all focused on me being a street fighter. Well, it blew up in their faces."

What are your thoughts?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

to a certain extent he was right. he also got his kicked when people figured out how to fight

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i have clips of him being made into a human rag doll by belfort. he got slaughtered. he got taken down then vitor got up and kicked him in the face one good time {yes ikken, it was back when that was legal} he looked like an idiot trying to grab belforts legs and punch him in the knee while he was on all fours, then he ate a straight knee. i can just invision john mcarthy saying
    "i think were done here"

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah, when put up with an actual MMA fighter such as Belfort he got dealt. no surprise.

5. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I saw one of Tank's fights, dont remember who he was fighting, think it was an older fight, but he took a bunch of good low roundhouse kicks to his (tank's) lead leg and he couldn't grab the guy in time, he had to stop fighting. It was pretty funny to me. Anyone seen it or know what Im talking about?

You have to have respect for someone whos been in that many serious fights, but he isn't all that great when compared to some of the other guys in the UFC.

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I also remember someone, Dan Severn maybe(?), slapping him around for half an hour in an early UFC.

7. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

And against Frank Mir it lasted about 56 seconds and Mir didnt get hit once. At the end of the fight Mir was pointing to his face shouting "No marks on me." (I hope this is an accurate description....it has been a while since I saw that fight)

8. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Tank was always really just a drunk and a bar room brawler. The only thing he really had going for him was the newness of UFC. Once the actual talented MMAers came in, he was toast. He is a tough bugger, but only for the street...not for the ring anymore.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Tank prove 2 points when the UFC kicked off, and those were:

'Any hardcase can fight and hurt you.'

'If you don't train for reality (all ranges), you're gonna get hurt.'

Now there's harder/smarter guys out there and they're covering all their bases (ranges). I think Tank should retire totally now, he's proven a point, but everyone is wise to it now.

10. Trae

Trae Valued Member

slightly off topic, are kicks to the head illegal now, then?
    what are the ufc rules anyway, I can't find anything that succinctly lists them.

-d

11. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Here they are:

These are the 2004 UFC rules, defined, decided and approved by the Nevada State athletic commission.

As defined by the Nevada State Commission USA

1. Butting with the head (could cause concussion for both opponents)
    2. Eye gouging (any form of attack on the eyes could cause permanent loss of sight)
    3. Biting (causes transfer of bacteria)
    4. Hair Pulling (Unfair leverage advantage)
    5. Fish Hooking (can cause permanent damage or lacerations to sensitive areas)
    6. Groin attacks of any kind (can cause prostrate cancer or hernias)
    7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent (spreads infection and bacteria)
    8. Small joint manipulation (can cause permanent damage of weakened joints)
    9. Striking to the spine or back of the head (can cause permanent spinal damage)
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow (can cause serious lacerations)
    11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea (can cause asphyxiation)
    12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh (causes unnecessary lacerations)
    13. Grabbing the clavicle (damage to the clavicle can cause respiratory problems)
    14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent (can cause permanent head injury and brain trauma
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent (as in question 14))
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent (can cause unnecessary organ damage and or injury)
    17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel (as in question 16)
    18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck (can cause neck and spinal damage)
    19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area (unnecessary damage as a result of fall or landing)
    20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent (unfair leverage advantage)

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Before he retires, there are two fights I'd like to see - Tank vs Shamrock (it'd be over quickly, but it's one of those great rivalries that never came to a head) and Tank vs Arlovski (then he'd HAVE to retire :D )

13. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

People like Tank Abbot diminish the reputation and public image of the UFC IMHO. He has no training or real dicipline, he is marketed as a thug and tries to portray that image himself. All this is an insult to the fighters that actually train hard and are great athletes and technicians in terms of MA ability.

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Rubbish. He's still trained hard as hell and therefore has a lot of disciplien :rolleyes:

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Tanks sure is/was a character :) I once heard that he has a degree in history which is quiet interesting :) and apparently used to teach. Weather or not this is true, is beyond me.

Tank did prove to alot of people that even an overweight bear guzzling guy like him could defeat a buff blackbelt.

16. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

I have a lot of respect for Tank being raised up in the streets, lots of athletes have been raised up this way: Rampage, Randleman (former gang-member), Ryan, Rickson, and even Bruce Lee.

But in the ring, I guess it's true what u guys said. In the ring u need more than just street skills. Also the rules play a big part, you can't bite, poke, scratch or stomp on nuts in the ring, and even headbutts are outlawed. Also kicking an opponent while he's down. I think Tank was more succesful in his first 4 or 5 fights when the rules were only biting and gouging. But now like u guys showed, everything is different.

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I really don't think it's the change of rules that's made the difference.

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

My thoughts too.

Incidentally, whoever said "he has no training" - I would say having a lot of fights is a lot of good training, never mind that he benches in the 500s (I don't know his other lifts).

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

On the discussion of Tank Abbot; here's a picture of him as a wee lil lad :)

Attached Files:

20. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

WOAH! He looks like a damn woman!