[Tang Soo Do] What's our Greatest Asset?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by PsiCop, Mar 25, 2005.

1. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

As practitioners of Tang Soo Do, what do you feel is our style's greatest asset? Sure we have very effective striking techniques, but what is the strongest part of our style, in your opinion? I give this question in reference to other styles.

I'd venture to guess that our side and back kicks are among the strongest basic kicks in martial arts. That'd be my say on the strongest part of our style.

2. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

I would have to say our kicking tecniques in general. Having sparred with quite a few people from other styles I have found myself falling back on kicks when under pressure wit a fair bit off success.

3. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

The best thing I took from my TSD training was definately the kicks, which are powerful and practical. My kicking in JJJ is well above average because of my TSD training which I'm grateful for, especially my side kick.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

From the Tang Soo Do people I've met, I'd say the best asset is the loyalty and openness of the practitioners. I've yet to meet a TSDer that wasn't 100% happy with the style and happy to look at what other people are doing and learning from it.

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Well said T, and thanks :) I would tend to agree whole heartedly on the loyalty.

6. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

TSD is seen as a way of life by its practioners. It's a very open and family-orientated MA. That's definately one of its positives. TSD classes are free of some of the a-holes that other arts attract, at least in my experience. However, I know there were some people I trained with who weren't 100% happy with some aspects of the syllabus. That happens in every MA I'm sure though.

7. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

Got to go with the kicks. My sensei will sometimes have us line fight. During this, he might tell us upper belts "Just hands" or "Just feet". My punches are good (love focusing to the face) but without kicks tyo connect the combos, it isnt nearly as good.