[Tang Soo Do] what is tang soo do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by grapplingfinest, May 11, 2006.

1. grapplingfinest

grapplingfinest New Member

what is tang soo do. In the past couple of day I have hard a few people tell me that they take this martila art, but I have never heard of it.

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Korean karate.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What Chuck Norris does... :eek:

(it's literally the Korean translation of kara-te-do)

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

my sig is how the Moo Duk Kwan explain it, but Korean Karate pretty much sums it.

5. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Specifically, Shotokan Karate with more kicking (those Koreans, they love to kick).

6. MadMonk108

Except your sig is incorrect, and no longer how the Moo Duk Kwan explains it.

Soobak died centuries ago.

Hwang Kee created his own art, based on the CMA he studied in China (Shaolin Long Fist and Taiji), the Karate he studied in Korea (Chungdokwan), and his own studies of the Mooyaedobotongji.

This was Hwang Kee's art, Soobakdo, which he named to give veneration to the long dead Korean art. This art is made up of the Chilsung and Yukro forms which Hwang Kee created, naming them after dead forms no longer practiced in the Mooyaedobotongji. These forms show a mix of CMA and JMA, along with the Korean kicking.

唐手道 is not proprietary of the Moodukkwan. Several Kwans called their Korean Karate arts either Dangsoodo or Kongsoodo before the unification of Taekwondo.

唐/당/Dang refers to the Tang dynasty in China, and as such is a gross reference to China itself.

手/수/Soo means hand.

道/도/Do means Way.

Thus, China Hand Way.

In Japanese, this is pronounced...Karatedo.

Here endeth the lesson.

7. MadMonk108

Not necessarily.

There was also influence from Shudokan and ****o-ryu...and later, from Kyokushin, which of course is ironic, given that Kyokushin was founded by a Korean.

8. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

9. MadMonk108

And they're wrong.

Robert W. Young has done some great scholarship in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts confirming this.

Hwang Kee's own statements deny this.

Soobak died out centuries ago.

Also, I find it interesting that they want to skip right over Okinawa and go straight to China.

Check out the forum at Warrior-Scholar.com. There are some great historians there compiling reliable information on the history of Korean karate.

Trust me, the truth is infinitely more interesting than the mythology.

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Kyokushin? How so?

11. MadMonk108

How so what?

The influence or the founding?

General Choi and Mas Oyama were close friends. Many Koreans looked to Kyokushin and modelled their training after it...of course, much of this died out as the WTF was formed.

Mas Oyama was actually Korean.

12. freakishlystrng

freakishlystrng New Member

Tang Soo Do ("The Way of the Tang Hand") is a traditional Korean martial art that has been largely incorporated into modern Taekwondo.
    It is generally accepted that Tang Soo Do was a Koreanized version of Japanese Karate, and that the Moo Duk Kwan style originated as a combination of three major styles: Yang Tai Chi Chuan, Northern China and Southern China Kung Fu, combined with the Okinawan/Japanese discipline of Karate and its modified Forms by Grandmaster Hwang Kee (黄琦 / 황기) (1914 - 2002).

13. MadMonk108

Dangsoodo is not traditional at all.

It's new.

It didn't exist in Korea until the Japanese occupation.

The Moodukkwan was only one school of Dangsoodo. There were many others.

14. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I think traditional implies a way of training rather than how old it is, i.e bowing, meditation, hyung, barefoot etc. Japanese Karate is considered traditional even though it is relatively modern.

Oh and i meant what influence did Kyok have on TSD?

15. MadMonk108

Old school MDK sparring used to be much harder than it is at present.

The Soobakdo Daegam has pictures of bareknuckle sparring as well as sparring with boxing gloves.

16. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeah i did hear that actually. Used to be a lot of broken legs apparently at my school until they took out sweeps from sparring.

17. MadMonk108

Yeah.

My instructor told me about how they would get people to drop their guard.

Instead of trying to kick a guy in the head, they would deliberately target his arms. After being bruised (or broken), the opponent would eventually give up on protecting his face, because he knew that arm was going to get hurt.

Then...BAM.

18. freakishlystrng

freakishlystrng New Member

wut is dang soo do?

19. MadMonk108

What is incorrectly spelled Tangsoodo.

唐/당, referring to the Tang dynasty in China, is spelled with a ㄷ, a digut. This sound in Korean is closer to the D in English. A "T" sound is made with ㅌ, the tigut, and this is not the sound found in the name of this martial art.

The term is pronounced Dahng...the "A" sound wide and flat, like the sound the doctor tells you to make when you stick out your tongue. It is not pronounced Tang, like the orange flavored drink.

20. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Thats the trouble with translating chinese/korean characters. There is no right way to spell it, you can only attempt to get the closest phonetic sound.