[Tang Soo Do] What is Tang Soo Do?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Marakusu, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Marakusu

Marakusu Valued Member

Well, all you really need to do is, like, read the title. :D

2. Topher

Topher allo!

Read the threats in the section.

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Now, now, now... isn't that a TOS violation, Homer? :p

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Friggin typos!!!!!!!!!! :D

5. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Well, all you really need to do is, like, search the web yourself. :D

FYI, it's a Korean martial art (The Way of the China Hand). Chuck Norris' primary style.

6. KingofHearts

KingofHearts New Member

What Is Tang Soo Do?
    Tang Soo Do is an ancient martial art, which originated 2,000 years ago in Korea. Superficially, Tang Soo Do is a method of empty hand, foot and weapon fighting, based on the scientific use of the body in self-defense. Technically, Tang Soo Do is based on the principles of yielding, circular motion and penetration. Today, the techniques and philosophy are still taught as they were in ancient times, although the system has adjusted to the physical needs of modern lifestyles. Most of all, this mysterious art is designed to develop individual character, mental strength, integrity and respect for others.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  7. KingofHearts

KingofHearts New Member

Now you can stop belittling eachother and get on with the topic.

8. MALibrarian

MALibrarian Valued Member

Awww.. but can't I have just one surreal answer?

Tang Soo Do is a single, perfectly ripe plum, floating in a sea of perfume, served in a man's hat.

9. MALibrarian

MALibrarian Valued Member

And an actual useful answer

From the the website that I inherited:

' Tang Soo Do is a general term that can be used to describe various traditional Korean martial arts. However, here we shall use it to describe the style that can be traced back to Hwang Kee, the founder of the Moo Duk Kwan, .

Influenced by local Korean martial traditions and drawing upon the martial traditions of neighboring Japan and China, Tang Soo Do is a method of empty hand and foot fighting that also includes weapons training for more advanced students. Its techniques, which are fashioned to apply knowledge of vital points and such concepts as redirection of energy and circular motion, remain unrivaled in their power and effectiveness. Tang Soo Do has a reputation for superior kicking techniques; however, the art is well rounded, incorporating hand techniques, kicks, grapples, throws, and the use of weapons, all with equal emphasis. The traditional method of Tang Soo Do instruction leads to a knowledge of highly effective fighting techniques, but only within the framework of a non-fighting philosophy. Training is designed to develop not only physical abilities, but also mental discipline, integrity, respect, valour, and wisdom. "

10. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Tang Soo Do DID NOT ORIGINATE 2000 YEARS AGO. All of the mainstream Korean martial arts: Kuk Sool Won, TSD Moo Duk Kwan, ITF TKD, WTF TKD - they all were started in the 1940s following the Korean liberation from Japan and are mainly based on the SHOTOKAN KARATE that all the kwan masters (except for the late founder GM Hwang Kee, succeeded by his son) learned while in the universities.

In NO WAY WHATSOEVER does Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan have ANY direct lineage to the Hwarang, Silla Dynasty, or ancient subak. The only link to ancient Korean martial arts was GM Hwang Kee's study of the Muye Dobo Dongji, from which he crafted the Chil Sung and Yuk Ro forms - but this was still HIS interpretation of the written instruction.

There is reported evidence of GM Hwang Kee incorporating some Taekkyon - however most of that is debated heavily till today. Looking solely at the modern practice of TSD, there is only mainly karate technique and the techniques derived from the DongJi. Not even modern day Taekkyon is anything like the old Taekkyon.

Most of everything you see in TSD can be traced back to the Okinawan karate that GM Hwang Kee learned out of a book. The Pyung Ahns, Bassai, Naihanchi, all are karate forms. All the down blocks, horsestance punching, side punching, back stances, front stances, everything is taken from Okinawan karate. There are influences of Chinese martial arts from when GM Hwang Kee learned Kung Fu from Master Yang Kuk Jin during his stint as a railroad worker, which can attribute to the yielding and softer tastes of TSD. But ancient ties to Korea? Nope.

11. EternalRage

I posted this a while back in another "what is TSD thread" and people seemed to agree with it:

Traditionally, TSD does not teach many takedowns, no grappling although some ground fighting may have been incorporated, little clinching too.

I also want to add that although there is alot of hip torquing in TSD, it is definiely not unique to TSD. Early Okinawan systems emphasized the hip heavily in technique, one example being Tora De karate (or something like that).

12. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Pay little to no attention to EternalRage - He/She is a eternally angry. Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan as every other Korean martial art is one more step in the evolution of Korean martial arts. You can go back 2000 years and see similar movements displayed, but not just in Korean martial arts. As Hwang Kee (the founder of TSG Moo Duk Kwan) says in his book, it is a step along the way.

So what is it? TSD is a Korean based martial arts that takes lessons from ancient martial arts and fighting styles and uses them in a particular fashion. This Kwan was founded in the 1940's, but it was not an invention or an original creation. No martial art is original or new - no matter what anyone tells you.

TSD is different from most Tae Kwon Do that you will see in that it focuses on the technique, effectiveness, and artistry of movement rather than the more competetive nature. Although some Tae Kwon Do has held to the non competetive ways.

TSD uses a combination of kicks, punches, joint locks and various other strikes.

I could go on for days describing it, but you would be better served by going to a school and watching a class.

13. EternalRage

I am confused. Is anything I've said incorrect? If so please point out exactly what I said and then refute it with something other than a quip (I'm a he by the way). And yes I am frustrated (although not eternally) by the way Korean martial arts schools these days all lay claim to some ancient heritage.

I never said TSD was some new creation. What I said was TSD is derived from elsewhere than ancient Korea. TSD is mostly derived from Okinawan Karate and to some extent Japanese Karate (the Won Kuk Lee connection), as well as some Northern Chuan fa, and interpretations of the Muye Dobo Dongji.

Look back in history - Chung Do Kwan, Chang Moo Kwan, Ji Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan, and the Song Moo Kwan - the 5 originals, the very foundations upon which almost all Korean martial arts are built - they were all started by men who were trained in styles other than those of ancient Korea.

Some of it has to do with the Japanese occupation and their ban on Korean martial arts, but most of it has to do with the Korean public's lack of interest in generations prior to the occupation. They were perceived as low level sports and games, which has been furthered in modern times.

The only system I believe that can truly lay direct lineage claims to martial arts of old Korea is Taekkyon. The rest are built upon karate. Take Andy Cap's advice... watch any TKD or TSD forms or basic techniques and tell me that does not somewhat resemble karate (of course it will since the majority of TSD forms are from karate).

Even the structure of the classes, lining up, bowing, the formalities of traditional Korean martial arts classes are very similar to Japanese/okinawan karate - in relation to Chinese or Thai or Western originating combat systems which have nothing like it.

Hence I disagree with Andy Cap... TSD and other mainstream modern Korean systems are not an evolution of Korean Martial Arts, they are an extension of their Okinawan/Japanese predecessors. The only difference is the physical location where they were evolved at - Korea.

Does that make them any less legitamate? Only if they claim direct ties to ancient Korea. Does it make them any less effective? Heck no. Does it make them of any less value as an art? No.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  14. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

And there is teh caveat. Where they evolved. In America we speak English, and in Ireland they speak English. The English Language is said to be derived from Latin. So, do we speak Latin, or Irish, or English? The Irish certainly speak a different evolution of English that Americans do. What influences that evolution? The history of the people influences that language and how it is spoken. In America alone we have many dialects of English.

Tang Soo Do Soo Bahk Do came from Hwang Kee's mixture of experiences, and the experiences of his chief students. They developed the art, and their civilization shaped it. Sure there is a huge Japanese accent on it, because the Japanese had just de-occupied the country. However, the Korean's that helped Hwang Kee to shape this martia art influenced it based on their upbringing and experiences. I guarantee that if you watch a TSD SBD practitioner do Bassai, and then watched an Ishin Ryu stylist do the same form, they would be vastly different, yet look similar. Much like the language.

So, where did the language originate? Where did the Japanese learn their karate? Perhaps they learned it from the Koreans way back before the rise of the Japanese empire? The point is - no one country owns martial arts and martial arts have no boundries.

TSD SBD is Korean because Hwang Kee layed claim to it and developed his own flavour.

15. EternalRage

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  16. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

17. Topher

Topher allo!

Well if Tang Soo Do derived from Japanese Karate, where did Karate derive from... China? If so, then 'you will never change the fact that it is derived from' the Chinese arts. ;)

While that is idea if technically correct, byt doing that you can say every martial arts in existence is derived from India, or Africa or the Shaolin Temple.

I know there is a lot of Karate influence, but unlike the other major masters at the time; Hwang Kee had no formal training in Karate, only Korean and Chinese styles so his influence and links to Karate was second hand at best.

Dont forget that when the only styles officially allowed in Korea at the time were Japanese, Hwang Kee left the country. He returned with a very Chinese based stye, so much so that that he had to add the Karate elements for it to be successful. When the Japanese way if life became less prominent he started to reincorporate the softer Chinese aspects, hence the reason why he changed the name and added the Chil Sun hyungs.

From my experience the difference between Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do is that TKD is influenced more from Japanese Karate, and TSD more from China. Might be subtle, but it does clearly define the two.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  18. EternalRage

You're correct here, his knowledge of karate came from a book on Okinawan Karate, plus it is debated that he might have trained a little with Won Kuk Lee.

I have not forgotten this. I'd agree with everything you say, including your statement at the end of your post that says TSD is more Chinese derived, however, if you look at the system itself, you will find it is more Japanese-like than Chinese. Out of all the hyungs, Pyung Ahns, Naihanchis, Bassai, Jinto, Wanshu, etc etc make up the backbone of the Soo Gi (hand techniques). These forms are from Okinawan Karate. If you look at the stances, you have your basic karate ones - front stance, back stance, cross stance, horse stance. The transitioning from one stance to another, the combinations of techniques, even the kicks and execution (albeit higher and with more jumping and spinning at advanced levels) of those kicks at a basic level resemble karate.

The homology between Karate and TSD is much stronger than TSD and the Northern Chuan Fa. Even the way classes are run are similar to Japanese classes - the bowing to flags, the uniforms, lining up, etc etc. I'll agree definitely that Hwang Kee's primary training was in Kung Fu by Master Yang Kuk Jin - his only formal training, but this doesn't change the fact that the backbone of TSD is Okinawan Karate.

Modifications were made to the system after its inception, whatever evolution has occured to TSD, it is a modification of the basic Okinawan Karate.

My viewpoint is that both are from Karate, but TSD has more influences. But the origin is identical obviously, since the kwans that make up TKD were all Karate based (along with the Moo Duk Kwan), so they'd share the same origin. Again whatever influences shaped their evolutions since their inceptions doesn't change their origins.

19. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

All my knowledge of Tang Soo Do's history comes from bullshido's "Fantasy Warrior." :D According to it, TSD is a combination of imitation Taekkyon, Karate from books, traditional KMA from books, and 6 years of Kung Fu training.
    http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&id=84
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?p=609088#post609088
    I find bullshido's cynical view of TSD's history somewhat hard to believe. What are your views on this comic? What's your response to the opinion presented in the comic?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  20. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I have no problems with saying that most korean arts are based in some part on Japanese styles. HOWEVER don't limit it to just one. Kuk Sool Won in particular is not related to shotokan karate. It like hapkido (and as I understand it, Hwarangdo) comes from Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu. There's a lot more to it than just it's roots in Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu though, including a lot of influence from CMA's. Basically, all i'm saying is try not to over generalise.