[Tang Soo Do] What is 4th,5th,6th,7th,8th,9th,10th Master Belt?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Howard, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Howard

Howard New Member

2. pknox

pknox Valued Member

What specifically are you asking? What the belt titles are, what colors they are, what material is learned at each rank, at what level someone is considered to be a "master", or something else entirely?

3. Howard

Howard New Member

the question is as stated what (IS) 4th thru 10th master belt ? What does fourth degree mean,fifth degree mean,so forth and so on

4. Disciple

Disciple New Member

there are 8 Dans, I believe there are only Cho Dan, E Dan, Sum Dan, Sa Dan, etc.

Cho Dan is initiate
    E Dan is like Apprentice or adept
    Sum Dan is Disciple
    Sa Dan is Master
    as for the next 4 I am not sure, but 8th Dan is Grandmaster, I believe.

There may be 10 dans but I have never met someone higher than 8th, nor do I know of anyone off hand. Perhaps a founder of the art is, that would make sense. Usually once you reach 7th the only way to advance is to do certain things, start a school, federation, then art, I suppose.

5. Red

Red New Member

The only 9th dan i have ever met was grandmaster lee, and i think he's reached 9th dan for founding the UK Tang Soo Do federation.

6. Tiong

Tiong New Member

There is no Dan higher than 9th in the International Tang Soo Do Federation. Wether Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee (9th Dan) reserves 10th Dan for our founder, I'm not sure.

Anything above 5th Dan is generally achieved through merit, you reach your Master's level at 4th Dan. Signified by a black belt with a red stripe.

7. Howard

Howard New Member

so I guess that (other than) Grandmaster 5,6,7,8,9,10 have no meaning- just time ?

8. Tiong

Tiong New Member

To a certain degree, my master, Master J. M Tang (6th Dan) achieved his 6th through the constant dedication to his/our federation. This was over a period of about thirteen years to the best of my knowledge.

I think the merit comes in different forms, you aren't as likely to be 'promoted' just because you started a new club. The usual like expanding the federation into a different country, I assume would have some high yield.

9. Howard

Howard New Member

I cofounded a new karate organization,so does that make me a grandmaster ?

10. Tiong

Tiong New Member

Do you think your worthy of being a Grandmaster?

11. Howard

Howard New Member

12. Howard

Howard New Member

define worthy

13. Tiong

Tiong New Member

Funny.

14. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

...my master's an 8th...

15. Howard