Tang Soo Do vs Wing Chun

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by WingedMunchies, Aug 11, 2012.

1. WingedMunchies

WingedMunchies New Member

well for starters I was a student of Tang Soo Do for 6 years, 2 of which were in my high school martial art club where I could only Advance to an orange belt, needless to say when i could test for my next belt, green, i did very well for training what i needed to know for so long. i tested for my green stripe but i never got to do my written test, but thats besides the point, what im getting it is after my 6 years in training i had to stop for a while due to money and family related issues, its now been 5 years since ive been able to train at a school but train time to time by myself and with friends. i've recently taken a liking to wing chun or at least the idea of it, the problem i'm facing is continuing my Tang Soo Do training or train in wing chun starting fresh. I love Tang soo do, ive found my own applications for techniques and they have proven useful in situations ive come across, but the idea of wing chun is very tempting, effective blocking combined with rapid strong punches. i'm completely torn between the two and have come seeking guidance from fellow martial artists.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Theres a written test ? (sorry I'm ignorant of such things)

3. WingedMunchies

WingedMunchies New Member

yes, at least for mine there was, it was to know the terminology, named of techniques in korean as well as english. knowing the meaning of certain things and who created or where a certain move or form was created. at least it was very detailed in my school idk if all schools made the written portions as detailed.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ah right , fair enough.

Like you I did a 8 year gap between training (due to school etc). If you love TSD so much then go out and find a school that suits you. Its down to you if want to then take up WC...if you feel confident that you have the time etc.

Like many other MAists, you will get confused between the two now and again but it just comes under practice