[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

It'd be nice to get this thread out of the 'Intros & Bios' Section. :D

2. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

It was the only LOGICAL place to put it in the MAP that I joined :)

One possible delay in creating a Tang Soo Do forum is the in-fighting along the lines of "Well don't expect ME to track down all the threads that need moving into it" :D:D:D

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

So ...... you're the culprit. :D

4. Jang Bong

I'm sorry Mister X - this interview is over. I'm afraid you are not detective material.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Actually, for the Black Belt tests and pretests in our school, we have the candidates run through all of the Pyong Ahn forms without a break. Cho Dan through O Dan.... They actually flow relatively well, and I timed it as taking about 2 and a half minutes at 1st Gup speed (which is usually a bit too fast hehe). Nonetheless it feels like you're running through for 5 minutes ;) A great test of endurance.

6. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Yes as Psi said - I know the ITF, and ATA test that way, adn I am pretty certain most American based Tang Soo Do schools do. I certainly could see no harm in it. Great for endurance and practice of the hyung. Furthermore, they do have a progression that is great to watch. I do the same thing at times to warm up. I also like to string my Bassai so and dai together. I have linked Naiachi hyung together as well. It is a great way to get going and practice these forms.

7. Jang Bong

The first Naiachi hyung (without the walking stick) is my next one to learn ;)

It's nice to know that the things I 'make up' for myself are right. The hope is that in the 'pre lesson' stage the kids will see me and think "The old fellow is up and moving - why are we sitting down chatting?" :D:D

(I also take advantage of the space to swing some weaponry around - but the kids all want to "just have a look...". I've put my foot down with my new sais, and given them an over-16 age limit. :D)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  8. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Without the walking stick? You learn a Naiachi form with a cane?

9. Jang Bong

You're thinking from the wrong end - he needed a cane form, and adapted Naiachi.

We also have a Charu form based on Pyung Ahn Sa Dan, and our third Chul Bong form is Bassia. Still getting the feel for the sais, but the form that fits into is Pyung Ahn Ee Dan.

10. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Just ran through E Dan in my head with the use of Sai, and yes I would think it'd be a prime adaptation to add the weapon. The hand movements at the start (doubleblock, uppercut, extension and horse stance side punch) would be perfect for a Sai. Never thought of it that way... :cool:

11. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Time Flys!!!

When your training in TSD! I Hope you are all healthy and training hard. I am preparing for my Cho-Dan test in May. I would appriciate advice on relaxation techniques. I battle daily with power. And my forms suffer for it. Any breakers out there. Please share. http://baystateis.com/mov/ATF BREAK1.MOV :bang:

Tang Soo!

ATF

12. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

ATF - One thing that helps a lot with breaking is confidence. Practice the break with the amount of wood you know you can do and just blast through it! Do this a few times, adn then add a board. This is the way to work up. When you add that board - don't doubt - there can be no doubt, and nail that pile of wood with everything you have. Resolve yourself that it will break or you will break.

Many people are worried about hurting themselves and because of this fear tehy tense up and end up hurting themselves. Let's face it - once you decide you are going to hit the wood, you may as well hit it with everything you have simply to keep yourself safe.

The other important thing is to develop you Kihap and yell with all teh spirit you can when you break - that disipates any energy you may absorb.

Good luck!!

Tang Soo!!

13. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Andy Cap I couldn't agree more. The philosophy of breaking what you know then adding a board is precisely how I have been taught to break. Specifically with a Soo Do on Blocks. It is ironic though that you bring up the point of tensing up. I have been stuck on 6 boards for a year. I know my technique is sound enough for 7 but for me its mental. Which is why I asked the question re: relaxation. Great advice though. Where in NH do you train?

-Tang Soo
    ATF

14. Jang Bong

I've never done any 'breaking' - does it matter? I'm sure the techniques are achieveable, and practice of them would confirm the fact they work (and build the confidence), but it simply doesn't form part of our syllabus on the sessions I get to (and I haven't heard of it from the other guys).

Is breaking important in its own right? Should I speak with my instructor about it?? Or is it a nice 'extra' that lets you show other people how much wood you can chop up :D ???

Note to the powers that be: In these past two pages we could have had dedicated threads dealing with forms in TSD, weapons in TSD, and breaking.

This thread is getting a little wide of 'introductions', but it seems that we all feel comfortable using it as a meeting place.

Just an observation ;) No pressure :Angel:

15. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

JB - I get the hint!

Don't know if the boss has though :(

16. Jang Bong

No hassle - it was just a nice series of posts. The weapons one (for example) could have been a new thread in the weapons forum, but its significance happens to be TSD. [And for you karate guys - the translation of the sai form is "second peace & harmony form" ;)]

17. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

As for the mental barrier - 6 -> 7 seems like a giant leap, and it is - it is a leap of faith. When breaking with an open handed strike like a chop people tend to worry even more. They start thinking about this and that - "what if?" Well, take care of teh "what if's" far before you step in front of the wood. When you step up there you need to have resolved the what ifs already. You must KNOW you can break that wood, and it will break.

Relaxation comes with the knowledge that you have resolved the what ifs and you are there just to do the job that is at hand.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  18. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Here is my interpretation. TSD is a "hard" style. We need a way to deliver techniques in order to gauge our control, speed, power etc... If we were to deliver these techniques to each other at 100% the Hospitals would become full. :cool: The art of Breaking albeit wood,concrete whatever is not only a conditioning exercise for the body but it is essential in perfecting (if I can use the word) ones technique. My Instructor KJN Richard Byrne has written a book re: breaking. (So I am slightly biased) Jang Bong I would be interested in hearing what your instructor has to say. Please follow up.

Tang Soo!

19. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Breaking, to me, is actually an excersize in relaxation, focus, and technique. It is not about muscle and strength. My best break to date is 13 boards with a palm strike (no spacers). I did this break when i was 178 lbs. I am 6' 3", so that kind of weight is not much for me, also I was not the most muscular guy, but I had technique, speed, and focus. I also had faith in my technique.

The practical value of this....my brother and I used to run our own TSD school for about 12 years. We bought riot gear and worked on self defence with this stuff on. One excersize we did involved me wearing a blind fold and having my brother walk around me and then attack. Since he was fully padded and had a helmet with face shield we thought this was safe - ho ho!! He grabbed my shoulder and before he could do any more I struck him with a palm strike to the facemask - this snapped his head back and knocked him out. My palmstrike was not the most powerful I had ever throw, but the technique was so trained and shard that it was very effective - regardless of the riot gear.

I wouldn't make breaking my number one focus, but it does have value and can teach lessons.

20. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Oh, and multi station breaks are great fro testing technique and transition. For example ATF will have to do a 3 station break for his dan test. This requires creativity, and all of the other characteristics of breaking. Great stuff.