[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

A partner at home to try stuff out on... How nice would that be!
    Good to see all the new people! I have been hiatus again, due to the fact that I got married ;)

Laterz!

2. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

CONGRATULATIONS :) (from your last post I figure your partner is NOT into TSD? :( A little 'persuasion' required? ) :D

3. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Hi pinto and welcome

Please feel free to start a new thread, its been a bit quiet round here lately.

Congrats on getting hitched Monk Ki.

4. Pinto

Pinto New Member

Thanks for the welcome I will try to be around but I am going to be going to class everynight till I leave (for iraq). Fun fun LOL

5. Agent-D

Agent-D New Member

Well, I'm completely new to these forums. I'd an E Dan in TSD in the NE of England.
    Currently "retired" ie not actually training at present but have been looking around the local area for places to train.

I haven't had the chance to read through this entire thread, JUST yet, but I thought I'd introduce myself first. :D

Sum ni dah.

6. Jang Bong

A pleasure to meet you Agent-D - and a 'local' as well :)

Don't worry about being new to the forum - we all were once - and you'll find the members of the TSD area particularly friendly and helpful {who said "they would say that wouldn't they"?} :D

I can't believe it's 18-months since my last list - but you'll find most of the members and their experience at the top of page 21 and dated January 2006. Reading from there onwards will introduce you to the gang.

[When I saw 'retired' I made a false age assumption - you're only a kid] ;)

7. 3rd Dan W. KY

3rd Dan W. KY New Member

Hi all enjoy your web site and glad to find TSD Still going strong

I am a Third Dan In Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Originally under Grand Master Jae Joon Kim, Trained Under His Middle Son Master Saul Kim then in 1983 went Under Master Lee Buesking where I stayed until 1996. I obtained the Rank of Third Dan. I was inducted into The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame in 1994 for instructor of the year in TSD. I moved to Western Kentucky and haven't been able to find a place or school to affiliate my self with or train especially in the higher Ranks and forms. so been stuck in limbo training by my self. It's bad when you start beating your self in free sparring. Nice Meeting all of you all been watching and reading lots of the forums and threads and really glad to see so many knowledgeable Martial Artist.

8. Jang Bong

LOL! :D No - it's good - it means you're getting better :D

Welcome aboard, and nice to meet you. No doubt you can practice some 'verbal sparring' here. :)

9. Pinto

Pinto New Member

Time for that road trip up to Northern Indiana ;)

10. kyro

kyro New Member

yep know what ya mean i hit myself a few times trying new tricks and spins...

sorry i been away for awhile had a couple of new members to my family so they keep me busy ;)

11. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Congrats on the family additions(what did you have twinnys?) mate, can understand how much time they take up.... plenty of reward for it though.
    Are you going to the Rinpoche seminar up there?

12. kyro

kyro New Member

Not twins but not far between them Cooper is 10 months older then Joshua 2 boys hehe..

not sure have a 2nd Dan grading tomorrow so going along to that wish it was me hehehe so i guess i'll find out more details on that then

13. 3rd Dan W. KY

3rd Dan W. KY New Member

How far North up in Indiana, Sounds like you all are having a good time in TSD and that is the way it should be it is a love , a passion and hole lot of fun when I started Martial arts back in the late 1970's early 1980's my only concern was getting to black belt then that was it I was going to be able to leap 15 feet backwards up into a tree leap tall buildings with a single bound. But when you learn or have great instructors and fellow martial artist to learn from, You truly learn that black is just the beginning. that is one of the reasons that I thing Hwang Kee Decided on dark navy blue because when you make it a love or a passion you never stop learning or growing. until the day you pass into another existence and then learn from the ultimate master.

14. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Hahaha I still want to be able to do all that Crouching Tiger Hidden dragon stuff.. I suppose I agree though, when my martial arts training began (not that long ago) those unrealistic holywood expectaitons soon disappear.

Hats off to ya Kyro, only got one little girl and that be a busy enough job I reckn. Enjoy the grading..

15. kyro

kyro New Member

yep Grading was unreal the guys and girls did great a 2nd Dan and 3rd Dan grading.....

its got me inspired again....time to get that 2nd Dan i think

16. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Well I just passed my test for 1st Dan 9-18-07, it was extra special as my 10 year old son also passed his 1st Dan in the same testing. One of the questions on the written exam was why are our belts midnight blue instead of black? Yes this is just the beginning. The coolest thing about the test for me was this, I am an assistant instructor in the children’s class and right before my test I had to brush up on requirements for the gup members so I could help them prepare for their upcoming gup test. It was not the techniques that I needed to brush up just keeping straight what each color belt needed to work on. I honestly felt overwhelmed a bit with needing to study all my new stuff. As it turned out helping the kids helped me as I reviewed terminology, one steps and wrist grabs. I am beginning to learn it is truly about giving back. This is truly a journey. I have two more classes to wear my Red belt to and on the 28 we are having a dinner where we will receive our belts. It is funny I always want to get the next belt but when it is time to take off the belt I have for the last time I take a moment to reflect on all we have been through together, I will truly miss wearing my red belt and hope I can wear through the blue trim on my uniform like the red trim that is there now. Takes a lot of sweat and training to wear through that trim.
    Just a moment to brag my son (who is 10) did 125 pushups (in one set) and 210 sit ups during the physical fitness part of the test.
    Tang Soo

17. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Congrats to you and your son KB. little superman with all those pushups... few people in my class who should take a lesson from his books. Really very inspiring, hoping me and my daughter can follow your lead oneday.

18. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Congrats Kickboy and to your son.

19. 3rd Dan W. KY

3rd Dan W. KY New Member

Congratulations Kickboy and congratulations to your son also. I know exactly how proud it makes you. My Daughter and I both have tested for our belts together up to 3rd Dan and it makes it that more special when you can share your Martial Arts experience with family members.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  20. billymac

billymac New Member

Billymac

Hey folks.
    New to the site and Tang Soo Do.
    I just started learning the art back in May of this year.
    I am testing for my Green belt within the next few weeks but will be happy with a stripe if that is what I deserve.
    I am the oldest Gup at our Dojang at 39 years old. Oldest student by almost twenty years!
    I study at Texas Tang Soo Do in San Antonio, Tx.
    I have always been a very active and physical person. I was a cop for a while, I boxed, weight lifting, and now work in construction, but I feel that with Tang Soo Do I have finaly found something that just fits. Understand?

Tang Soo!!