[Tang Soo Do] Evolution as a Martial Artist

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by PsiCop, Jun 6, 2005.

1. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I don't know if some of the senior martial artists can attest to this or not, but I've noticed something interesting happening to me in the last few months. I don't know any other way to describe it, other than "evolution". I can feel myself rapidly changing and 'evolving' as a martial artist.

Sure, everyone gets better over time. The more training a person gets will obviously have progressive effects on them. That's not necessarily what I'm speaking of. What I am speaking of is a state of rapid improvement into something different... Something better. It's as if I'm finally beginning to feel the changes. Perhaps I'm finally starting to understand martial arts on that deeper, almost spiritual, level?

My technique is sharper than ever, and my deeper understanding of TSD as a martial art is really taking off. I can fully visualize during my forms. I can view openings and weak points on someone in a split second. My weight and balance are easily and precisely controlled.

I'm still far from perfect, but I suppose I'm just trying to mention the sharp increase in skill as a martial artist. Having trained in martial arts for 9 years, and TSD for 5 of those, is this sort of thing normal at this point in training? Maybe it's only in my head, and I simply wasn't aware of that "slow evolution" when it was happening.

I ask this of the more experienced ones here, did you ever feel this way? As if you were progressing in a way you never experienced prior to it? Does it last? Is it just in my head?

Thanks for reading my long, drawn-out post, heh. :)

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I felt this way just before I got a broken nose!

Which I put down to over confidence. But I have gone through times when it feels like everything is coming together.

What would you say is the secret to your wonderous success :confused:

3. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

You learn from experience. Also, maybe you're nearing your physical prime. I've been training in SBD MDK for 10 years, and I can see what you're talking about in terms of understanding the martial arts more. It all depends on your drive and determination. Just showing up to your TSD class every day and going through the motions won't get you anywhere. But, if you can only make it, say, a few times a month, but you put all your heart & soul into hose few classes, the rewards will be much greater. It seems like you're pasionate about your art, and it's paying off quite nicely for you.

4. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Interesting point, Weenus. I am at my prime. I'm 18 years old, so I'm young and strong. The physical is only part of it though.

I don't think I have a secret. Just training hard and trying to understand the art could make one get like this, I suppose. Also, I know the dangers of being overconfident ;) . I'll tell the story some other time.

Confidence is great. Arrogance is bad. The line between them is blurred. (My "long white beard" quote of the day, lol)