[Tang Soo Do] Cho Dan Test

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by ATF, May 9, 2005.

1. ATF

ATF Valued Member

May 7th 2005 was another day in my life that will forever be engraved in my memory. During the test I was so focused and determined to leave all I had on the Do Jang floor not for myself but for my instructors who graciously passed on the knowledge and wisdom of TSD. There was so much spirit & energy. Tang Soo!! to all TSD MA's.

ATF :bang:

2. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I really wish I could have made it brother! I work weekends, and it is very hard to get out of it because I am the lead. I am sure you did fantastic!! Any stories to tell?

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Congrats!

4. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Andy,
    Many stories! At the start of the test my heart was racing. It was similiar to my 9th gup test. I quickly calmed myself meditating on the task at hand. As the test began I felt an overwhelming sense of confidence and peace. Out of 18 1st gups testing I was selected for the Best Black Belt test honors. When I saw the look in the Masters and Dan members who have trained me over the past 4 1/2 years I was moved to tears. Not since marching down the parade deck to my graduation from Marine Corps boot camp had I felt emotions like I did that day. I felt so humbled. I was determined to leave "it" all on the mat and I did. I will post some footage soon if you would like. More stories as well.

Tang Soo!!!!! :bang:

ATF

5. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Great going ATF - sounds like you proved to yourself as well as everyone else that your hard work and dedication was good enough. (Not much more we can prove in life ;) )

As if you need to ask :rolleyes: ;)

Tang Soo!!

6. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Good job. Cho Dan test is by far the most remembered by any martial artist.

7. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

I was about 7 years old in SBD MDK as a green belt, and at the end of class, our Sa Bom Nim would always go down the line and take attendance. Right when he got up to this kid Eric, he says, "Eric is here..." and RIGHT AFTER HE SAID 'HERE', Eric farted so loud that the parents in the lobby were hysterical. Timing couldn't have been better, but seeing as how this was only a 7 or 8 year old kid, they didn't think too much of it.

Not a Cho Dan memmory, but funny.

8. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Congratulations!

Youll be doing a fair bit of sewing now to get that blue/black trim on your Do bohk ;)

9. chrischris

chrischris New Member

nice one man. il post my cho dan test soon. in about three and a half years ;)

10. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

There's something that I think happens with everyone about nervousness and anxiety. Everyone gets nervous before the big Cho Dan test, but after that first technique, it's all good.

That happens to me with football games all the time. After that first hit, it's all better.

My E-Dan test, same thing happened.

11. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Hmm, most people admit they do get nervous. I really don't, though. The only thing on my mind is Tang Soo Do. No worries, no doubts, no anxiety. My feeling is that if one can control their emotions, they can become a stronger martial artist. They can keep calm when needed, and use explosive intensity when necessary.

It's the same concept of meditation before doing something important. Let's use a big martial arts test as an example. If one lets their mind run rampant, they will have less of their thought to focus on what they're doing. However, when one meditates before doing something such as this, they can eliminate all of those free floating thoughts until there is no thought. All there is is the task at hand and what they're doing. I don't formally meditate often, but the same concept can apply. What I do is deeply control my thought from as much as a day beforehand. The method is slightly different, but the effect is the same: A very focused mind. A focused mind is a more effective mind. I would encourage trying to hone this skill. If you do, you will be a more complete and effective martial artist and individual.