[Tang Soo Do] Breathing

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by PsiCop, Apr 13, 2005.

1. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I'm curious as to how your schools breathe during forms/techniques? Many different styles and schools teach different methods of breathing for different reasons. However, I was wondering if the breathing in TSD is relatively universal.

In our school, we all breathe "out loud" each technique. Many students make what is a "suh" sound, so as to exhale each technique and to help other students hear where in a form the class is. I personally do a little bit of this if necessary. Perhaps the class is doing a hyung and they start to get off-tempo. I'll try and make my breathing a bit louder so as to get the whole of the class back together as best I can. Most of the time I do simple hard breathing when needed and soft breathing when needed. I don't go overboard with "the snake sound" like some of the little ones :D .

I'm curious how your Tang Soo Do schools do this?

2. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

That sounds just like the way we do it. Higher belts tend to breath quieter as they no longer need to make the sound. We breath into our 'bellies', when the chest doesn't move but the belly moves in and out. Have you noticed that begginers tend to hold thier breath during Hyung/combos etc? ive noticed this a few times and used to do this myself(nearly passed out once ;))

3. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Hehe, yes. Breathing is very important if you intend to stay conscious. I also breathe with my belly. In addition, using the diaphragm can make a person have a much more intimidating and louder kihap.

4. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I learned to breathe out with my diaphragm and belly, too. I was taught to breathe out on each strike or block, but to breathe out quietly and forcefully. I guess it's to put more power into your strike or block.

Last edited: May 30, 2005