Taking Up Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Korpy, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I recently (like 2 months ago) took up Brazilian JJ training and it's the greatest. The only thing is at the end of the month I wont be able to go anymore. :cry:
    It sucks, and I'm gonna miss it alot. Well my dad knew how down I was about it, so he found a place that is closer to our house. It's a Judo dojo. ( http://www.midwestjudo.com/ )

And I checked the website (above) and emailed the main instructor and he told me the stuff I needed to know, and we're gonna go check it out soon. Is Judo a good substitute for BJJ? I always liked the many Judo takedowns and throws, so is it worth perhaps starting Judo?

2. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Definitely. Judo and BJJ are about as close as two martial arts get, IMHO. The only thing to worry about is that some schools neglect newaza (groundfighting). However, I saw mention of "submission grappling" on their website, so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I am gonna miss Brazilain JJ alot, but this seems likea good school. Also alot of there students compete and do well in NAGA, which is a very big plus. And another thing, is that all the Judo throws/takedowns will be interesting.

4. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I do both Judo and BJJ, and if i had to choose only one (god forbid) i'd choose Judo.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Really? Any reason(s) why?

6. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Maybe he has a back rash!!! :D

7. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I like the whole standup game of Judo. Don't get me wrong, i'm better on the ground than i am at throwing, but the standup is just more exciting to me. Too often in BJJ a rugby style tackle to the ground is a formality.

I always considered judo more effective for self defence too.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Korps-a-lot,
    Judo will be good for you. Judo is generally respected by most martial artists who understand just how effective it can be.

Generally speaking - once a Judoka gets a sleeve or a lapel... it's game over for the person being grabbed. :D

The conditioning they go through is top notch in most cases and it's run under a very structured environment that is really condusive to learning the basics.

Go for it and let us know what you think.
    Good to see you at MAP again. :D

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

That's why I chose it also. The variety of takedowns (I think I heard there are even double leg takedowns in Judo) and the variety of throws is amazing. And you cannot really have any bs in Judo cause its too tough too. And it's versitile. You can compete in grappling tourneys, MMA, and even the Olympics! (getting ahead of myself here... lol)

The only problem I see with Judo is remebering all the names for throws, submissions, chokes, and takedowns! :eek:

But I can bet it's gonna be a great experience. And thanks slip, nice talking to you again. School's been killer, especially Japanese class. (I'm failing it... :bang: )

10. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

It's an ideal substitute, like the other guys said. I do both. They're originally from the same source (japanese ju jutsu) but trained so that you really learn to apply the techniques. Judo mainly concentrates on throws, BJJ groundwork.
    Judo throws are awesome. And if you're interested in 'self-defence', then using the ground as a weapon can't be beat. There's a lot of it lying around, you see.
    Have fun!

11. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

Heck yes! I love Judo. Nothing is better than pulling off a perfect throw. It's like grappling's equivalent of a knockout punch in boxing. It's incredible, I only trained in Judo for a short period of time, but it remains crystal clear in your memory. Apparently I do well enough that my Jiu Jitsu instructor (who did Judo for years) trusts me to teach my girlfriend throws and sweeps. He'll supervise and drop a tip or two, but overall he lets me do all of the work. I've taught her Osoto gari, some sweeps, hip throws, Tai Otoshi, dropping Ippon Seionage, plus 5 or 6 chokes using the gi.

Judo is an amazing martial art but it's my favorite sport as well.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  12. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

im thinking about taking up judo too. it would compliment my shotokan very well. anybody know a good place to learn judo in winnipeg?

13. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Morote gari.

14. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Sometimes you can even get away with single legs! It's amazing, really ;)

15. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

If my teammates yell at me for "wrestling," I just pretend I don't know what they're talking about and mumble something about "kuchiki taoshi." :p

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I got another question.

How many belts are there in Judo. Does it differ from school to school? What is the usual ranking system?

17. Atharel

Atharel Errant

In my club, which as I understand it does things the traditional way, it's as follows

1 rank of white

2 ranks of green

3 ranks of brown

black

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Another question, is, is it hard to remember all the names of the techniques? There seems to be alot of similar names.

19. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Not really, you understand the meaning behind the names after a while so it's almost as easy to associate them with actions as something like "right hook" in english.

20. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

White, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown and black if my memory serves me correctly.