Taking my shot at an mma career

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Southpaw535, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

Jokes.

Seriously though,here, horse(stupidly) is for dog food.
    Its ok to buy a horse and slaughter it for meat though. Its ilegal to buy horse meat for human consumption.
    Man up Mushroom.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I was thinking about this at work and have a question. At the minute I work at 7 in the morning for a couple hours 6 days a week. By the time I get back from training most of the week the earliest I can get in bed is 10. Obviously as I step up training I'll need more sleep. I think that mgiht be solved by napping for a couple hours around lunchtime since most classes are either in the evening or before 1.

Anyway, I don't really want to get up early if I can avoid it since I need the kip so at the moment I get up half hour before I have to leave and that's eough time to get some cereal and fruit down me and get sorted. Would be much of a problem if I stayed doing that so I have energy for work and then came home and made a decent scrambled egg meal, or an omelette or whatever needs time to cook?

Not sure how that would effect my metabolism and whatnot if I basically have 2 meals within 3 hours in the morning without changing my lunch and dinner stuff.

edit: Stupid button. Also cheers for all the support guys. My mum read this thread last night and was kinda choked with all the support. Its given me a big boost as well so thanks.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Crack an egg or two into a bowl, break the yolks with a fork. Microwave for 20 seconds or so. Stir, repeat. Within a minute tops you've got scrambled egg. Eat some fruit on the way to work. You've now got your protein hit and everything else in double quick time.

I remember seeing a video of Mike Tyson training in the run up to a fight. He would wake up at some ungodly hour and go do his roadwork, then go back to bed and sleep some more. So your plan of naps should work out fine.

Mitch

4. Southpaw535

I'll name a child after you

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Napping seems very common amongst people that train intensively.
    Athletes and sportspeople seem to have two training sessions a day with a nap in the afternoon.

6. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Yeah, that's why I do it, training intensively...

Mate I wish you all the best of luck, can't offer much advice, but can offer support.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

He wont thank you for going through life being called "Oi! Tubby!" :D

The other trick is preparation. Boil some eggs the night before, have boxes of chopped up peppers etc in the fridge. Have a big box of mixed nuts in the cupboard. If you can grab a couple of handfuls of healthy stuff and chuck them on a plate you can eat well and quickly.

Mitch

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

My quick energy and protein fix in the morning if I can't be bothered to cook is thick greek yoghurt (high fat, high protein, low carb) with brazil nuts (high selenium mood enhancer, good protein/fat/carb balance), and some frozen raspberries/blueberries (average GI, low fructose). Like Mitch's suggestion it is quick and tasty. If it isn't sweet enough, try honey or maple syrup.

9. Southpaw535

Thought I'd update this. Since I started the thread I've stepped up training. Slowly at first to get used to training in the mornings as well as the evening, as of last week I now train about 11 sessions a week. Hopefully once money gets sorted out I want to add at least one private a week in there.

The mma side of things is a bit slow. The grappling I've seen at the local event isn't amazing so I wanted to stick with my bjj club for a bit. That's changed around last week. Have been doing 4 induction classes a week but its basic grappling so really its been for me to get used to no gi and to try and get my conditioning to a level where I can do the normal evening classes. That said I trained 4 times last tuesday and finished with a proper mma class in the evening. Was too screwed to give much effort at all in rolling but I finished the class.

Striking wise I've just done I think my 5th K1 class? Maybe 6th. Have a lot of problems with the sparring but I expected that and I'm slowly working on it. I can at least come away knowing what it is I did wrong. Last Thursday I just got beaten up and ended up standing still and covering up for the whole sparring session and came away really frustrated but I knew the cure was just to keep sparring. That in itself I was happy with the next day because there's been a few times in bjj I've had a really crap night and its screwed me for the entire week.

Haven't made a wrestling class yet. I work during the beginner class and the normal one would leave me too screwed to do the mma class and open sparring on Saturday and I'd rather do those. Haven't done an open sparring class yet but will do it this weekend.

Speaking to a couple guys I've met at the induction class (a small personal yay: This has helped me come out fo my shell a bit mroe and talk to people so that's cool) they've been positive about me trying to get somewhere with all this so that's nice. Haven't told my coaches yet that I'm taking this seriously as a career choice but I'm trying to get me nerve together to approach them this week.

All in all I'm quite happy with it. In the space of a month and half I've nearly tripled my training hours and I feel good enough at the end of the week so that in itself I'm very proud of. My padwork in striking is ok, at least I don't get yelled at and have actually been told I'm doing good which is a rarity for our coaches. Then again maybe that's 'cos I'm new and little. Very very very long way to go still but I think this could of gone a lot worse so far :)

edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is one of our fighters got signed to the UFC so that was a big morale boost. We have another guy who we think could get picked at some point so hopefully that means my gym will have a bit more repute. Might make things easier if I ever get somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Stories like this makes me want to train harder.

11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Keep going Southpaw, you've got this :)

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

13. Southpaw535

Thanks boys.

I forgot to add a question that may be stupid: I've noticed it when I've been kneed in the chin/jaw in bjj and today when someone was mean and decided to punch me in sparring. When I get hit in the jaw I get a weird feeling in my left ear like its full of something fuzzy. Best description I have. It goes quick so its hard to remember exactly. I'm not sure if that's a normal thing and just a result of getting hit on the button or something to get checked out? Dunno if it could be like fluid in the ear or something

edit: And for those of you I don't have on facebook: I choked someone out for the first time last Tuesday too. Yes it was during a drill and yes it was a girl that's probably 10kg lighter than me but I was happy. It being a von flue choke makes the badassery outweigh any of the bad stuff :p

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's happened to me before, kinda feels like your ear is full of water?

15. Southpaw535

Yah. Its why I wondered about fluid. So its normal and my brain sin't slowly filling with water before it explodes next time I drop my head into someone's fist like a complete boob?

16. Southpaw535

Ok this ear pain thing. I forgot this happens but I get it when I get choked tight across the jaw too. Got power guillotined tonight and it was pretty painful. I've seen a dcotro about it before but they said it was nothing. Then again these are the same doctors who mistook a staph infection for a bed bug bite so yeah.

On the mma topic I did a proper mma class tonight and it went badly. Discovered I need much bigger muscles and that I am far too lazy. So used to a more passive bjj game that the more grinding, in your face mma style really threw me off. Another one on Thursday so hopefully that'll go better

17. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Along with this, here's a thought. Superset Pushups with your Pull ups. Pushups will work the opposing muscles QUITE Well.

Right now I have a little challenge going on. One set of pushups to failure first thing AM and one additional set before bed. Results have been pretty profound.

You could do something similar. Progress comes quickly. I'm up to 48 at a single go with 50 just waiting. My goal is to get to at least 75 in a single set. I think if you add pullups in there and super set the two you'll be awesome!!

And, you already ARE for starting this thread! YOU GO BROTHER!!

18. Southpaw535

Sounds like a cool idea man thanks!

19. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Anytime!

There are a LOT of variations of pushups too. Change hand placement, change the exercise. It's almost silly how direct the effect is of something so small.

For giggles, do a set to failure and let me know where you are. If nothing else it will serve to show you how fast you can make progress!

20. Southpaw535

31 just now, When I'm fresh probably about 45-50