Taizu Quan ?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Mengcunman, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

hello everybody,

I was doing a bit of research for my next trip to china. This time we're going with several people who all want to learn something else. Anyway... I was asking around what styles where famous in the Cangzhou area and one of thme was Taizu Quan. I tried to look on the net but besides the remark that it is a 'long fist' style there isn't much to find.

does anyone here know more about it. It tactics, strong point, mthods of teaching....

thanks

2. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Try varying the romanization in your search, e.g. Tai Tzu. It's also known as Ancestor's Fist (not to be confused with Shaolin's Five Ancestor's fist) or Emperor's long fist (because according to legend it was the personal art of the first Tang dynasty emperor).

My impression was that it is a very basic system, the kind of thing that MA practitioners start with as a foundation set. Doesn't mean it can't be effective though. I don't have any personal experiences so just ignore this paragraph as you see fit.

3. Tiger on Duty

Tiger on Duty New Member

I have met a taizu sifu(if i have the wrong style ignore me), the head of the style in china i believe( or very high up) it is similiar to chen style in the fact it is done both soft and hard and slow and extremely fast.
    It was amzing to watch, it starts slow like taichi and then has burst of combat like speed and aggression then back to slow movements, it resembles piqua in that it is soft from the shoulders and has whipping power.
    It also has only 1 form and 2 weapons with 1 form each.