taijutsu and bjj

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by mild7, Sep 23, 2003.

1. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

I always wondered why there is'nt more crosstraining between these two arts?

being a former practictioner of bujinkan budo taijutsu, I always felt there were a lot of unanswered questions on ground fighting.
    everything else is pretty much spot on.

and for BJJ, it sure could do with more weaponry elements!

both are 'street' MA's which shun the use of pointless, long stylistic kata and both prefer technique, and both encourage openmindedness(look at how BJJers like crosstraining in other arts, and how Taijutsu uses anything that works.)

what do you all think?

2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I'm not familiar with BJJ, but in my BBT class, we do spend a fair amount of time on the ground.

3. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

oh, sorry, BJJ is Brazilian Jiujitsu.

The only reason why I brought it up is because I remember how openminded my Bujinkan instructor was... esp towards arts like BJJ which could offer a lot in terms of groundfighting.

There is indeed groundfighting in BBT, but it is not like the science that BJJ is on the ground.

4. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

I actually cross trained a lot between Tai-jutsu and Bjj. And one my Teachers that been doing BJJ for many years came from Tai-jutsu.

its a great combo. why?

Taijutsu is a great art, but lacks in ground fighting, there is a alot there but BJJ does it better.

After searching around for a bit I finally came to these 3 arts to Cross training.

Ninjutsu (Genbukan)
    Great all around art
    BJJ
    Fills in gaps of Tai-jutsu, especally on the ground
    Kali
    Fills in gaps in weapon fighting such as small and dual blades, and stick fighting.

I will am creating a website will some of my matrial art expirence and outline of my fighting arts soon. The majority of it will be ninjutsu and parts will be from other arts that I feel fill in the gaps that ninjutsu has . I"ll let you know when its ready

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Taijitsu needs refining though

To be fully effective as the use of the fudoken is done to much and there is not enough sparing in many clubs (well the 5 or so I have trained in).

6. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

good posts all!

Taijutsu is indeed a fine art. I do wish it had more sparring though, and more groundwork.

Taijutsu clubs that spar fullcontact are plain scary.... they would do very well both on the street and even in No-rules competition...

7. stump

stump Supersub

mild 7 - so why are they not competing do you think?

Not trying to be confrontational...I'd like to know

8. Sonshu

So would I and I used to do it

I dont know any full contact Taijitsu clubs!

9. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

2 reasons.

1. Full contact Taijustu sparring exists are both my Genbukan Dojos. The problem is Taijutsu uses small joints locks, pressure points. organ/skin/muscle tearing I even been bitten during a Taijutsu sparring match. Hence, its very illegal in the ring.

2. Taijutsu isn't a tournment art. Actually I feel a Taijutsu artist would lose in the ring due to the "rules" of the tournment. Taijutsu is a surivial arts, it teaches people how to survive any situation, rather then win a trophy.

10. stump

stump Supersub

So how do the people who spar full contact taijutsu avoid killing each other week in and week out?

11. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

ok guys.

first off, I am NOT a Taijutsu practitioner. It is something I did in the past, but I am a BJJer now. I have also been a judoka for the past 6 yrs and practice Muay Thai.

now that we have cleared up any potential biasness.... here is the answer to why you have not seen any taijutsu competitors do well in comp yet...

(1)most Taijutsu/ninjutsu schools don't do fullcontact sparring.
    (2)the ones that do are too far and few in between
    (3)groundwork is still relatively undeveloped!

It is kind of like the case with Luta Livre in brazil. Luta Livre(as practiced by Hugo Duarte) is actually WAY more sound than BJJ for NHB... no gi training, equal striking and grappling. But they still don't do well because there are just too few ppl in the art!! (i.e. genepool is deficient of talent, as stated on bjj.org)

Now can you imagine, if there were a WHOLE lot of taijutsu schools, all of them practicing fullcontact sparring, all of them focusing on more groundwork than they usually do.

You would have some pretty good fighters from that.

STILL, at the end of the day, I think just doing Muay Thai and BJJ would be a more direct and solid combination to fight in no-rules comp. And yes, I do believe a guy with this combo would do MUCH better than a fullcontact taijutsu guy.

But if comp is'nt your bag, finding a fullcontact taijutsu place is a good compromise.

I donno, these are just some random thoughts from me. do i make any sense?

12. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

Also, I guess I might have overstated it when I said they would do 'very well' in no-rules comp.

I will revise that and say, they will have a decent showing in no-rules. i.e. a whole lot better than other TMAs.

13. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

We only do it once a week, and cuts and bruises heal. If someone doesn't like pain, taijutsu in the Genbukan system isn't for them.

Quote from the Grandmaster:

"If all else fails, bite the opponent on any part of the body, never releasing the grip until one feels that the opponent has truely surrendered"

-Tanemura Sensei

That is straight out of the San-kyu requiments.

The idea is know your limit, if you can in too much pain to fight then don't fight, your body will heal itself, and there is always modern medience.

14. Sonshu

Nice one Mild7

Just thought I would add my experience of Aikido.

Cheers

15. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

Standup BJJ contradicts Taijutsu, as far as I know,

BJJ Closing the distance and going for the clinch
    Taijujutsu Keeping the oponent at arms length

16. Sonshu

Taijitsu is not a long range style

it aims to cover all - everyone in my class fought at different ranges - I was the main stay of the close work fighting. My ground work and throwing techniques was my best strength as I had moved away more from the striking aspect (except for the entry)

I would say its not a range fighting art at all. Thats Kick Boxing, Karate etc.

Judo is a close art and its nagiwaza shares the Judo techniques and is close.

17. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

Budo Taijutsu proberly varies alot from school to school, I found that it contradicted my Jujutsu training. Thats my experience anyway

18. Sonshu

I found its the same as Jujitsu

In its grappling - yet more usefull in its striking and punch defence work.

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

20. Duncan Mitchell

Duncan Mitchell New Member

Here is an excellent article which sums it up quite well I think:
    http://www.budotech.com/jvm/nagato2.html

Nagato-sensei gave an interesting talk - and some practice - in groundfighting when I was in Japan a couple of months ago too.

Have a look at the Video - "Budo was Nan Desu ka" (If only just to see my 5 minutes of fame :D ) that Hatsumi-sensei put out a while ago. It covers quite a lot of the basic ideas in Bujinkan ne-waza.

Remember that Hatsumi-sensei and many of the shihan like Nagato-sensei are very senior practitioners in Judo too. They have forgotten more about groundfighting than most of these instructors who claim to teach it know.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2003