Taiji vs. White Crane, Macau 1954

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by CFT, Feb 23, 2005.

1. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Someone posted a link on another forum about a new book on Chinese martial arts literature (wuxia), which focuses on the acclaimed author Jin Yong. The author of the book is John Christopher Hamm, an assistant professor in the Department of Asian Languages and Literature, University of Washington.

Anyway, the first chapter is available as a PDF. What is interesting is a detailed section on the Taiji vs. White Crane "fight" that took place in Macau, 1954. This event serves as the backdrop to a piece of writing in the "New School" of MA fiction. I don't know what he used as references, you'll need to buy the book for that I guess.

But he has all the names, dates, places, lead up, the event itself, and the aftermath. A short and diverting read. I've only ever heard the gossip about the fight, never actually any detail, so this is really a good read.

EDIT: the event is described from page 3 onwards.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. siulimtao2004

siulimtao2004 New Member

The fight happened when my dad was still in his young teenage years. So yes it did happen. It was significant because at that time the HK government did not let anyone practice martial arts in a professional sense. Rings fights were also discouraged/outlawed. Therefore, the two masters decided to do it in Macau, which was not under British law. According to my dad the fight itself wasn't much...as in not much happened and it was over quite quickly. But the fact that this was kind like the first "open" fight in the HK area it was memorable.

3. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

Theres a video of it you can find on this very forum. Dont watch it, youll only be dissappointed.

4. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Dude, I really don't want to shatter your ideas.

awakened_nature is right - there's a video of the fight in MAP and you'll find it if you look through this kung fu forum, but be warned, you'll probably be very disappointed.

5. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Yeah, I'm aware of the video and how under-whelming it is supposed to be. I just thought people would be interested in a verbal account of the event and the surrounding background, to supplement a disembodied net clip.

6. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

I heard it was brought on by some over-zealous charity work which got out of hand?

From watching the fight, it seems that one of the guys thought it to be a friendly, and then promptly got his nose smashed in :D

Thats when the fisticuffs at dawn were let loose and mayhem ensued. Did it look like TJ or White Crane? No, but extremely funny to watch :)