Taiji Training Dummies ... want one?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Syd, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Due to the fact that I no longer attend a regular class for Taijiquan anymore and I live fairly isolated from others I can train with regularly I have devised a solo training system that allows me train as though I have a partner in the last couple of years using heavy punching bags, speed balls and a Jim Bradley ( post mounted ) spring steel Wing Chun Dummy with steel spring arms and legs.

The post mounted Dummy in my backyard is pretty good but because it's designed with the Wing Chunner in mind, centre line theory etc, it's not designed very realistically ... or anatomically suitable for Taijiquan. I have been in a design phase for a while now looking to create the perfect Taijiquan Fighting Dummy that would allow a Taiji fighter to train the various techniques of striking, locking, long har chuan, one and two step sparring and even a simplified single push hands!

I don't know anybody who has built anything like it for Taijiquan but I have found a guy in Australia who has a regular Wing Chun Dummy business who does customisation of Dummies for Wing Chunners ... I have put a proposal of my idea's to him and he has given me the ok that it can actually be done. At this stage it's going to be cheaper all round if it's not a one off. The more people who might want something like this for training the better, as it brings the price down overall.

So if anyone is ( In Australia, unless you have mega bucks ) interested in my designs, might want to buy something like this and would like to know more, e-mail me and I'll be happy to expand on the Taiji Fighting Dummy which I will probably have built for myself anyway. If we can get the price down by numbers then this is all to the good which is why I am putting it out there.

The beauty of this item is you can train anytime you like and you don't need to travel or find a partner to tee up training times. You can perform full power strikes and perform fajin in reverse locks, arm breaks and head and throat shots, something thats hard to do with a training partner. I also have a home made grappling dummy on the drawing board for take downs and extreme locks and throws ... I'll post on that later.

Interested parties ---> psi_fan@yahoo.com

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  2. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

You might want to patent that design, if its any good you might just be a richer man in a few years.

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I am actually thinking about that but I'm still disussing the design options with the builder ... we are very close to what I would call a near perfect Taiji Fighting Dummy; modifications and improvements may well follow in coming years though.

Thanks for the encouragement. ;)

4. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Do you have a picture?

5. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Well because of the possible and pending patent idea's I'm not at liberty to post any images ... yet. I am currently looking for expressions of interest, genuine ones, and I'm happy to discuss design elements through e-mail with some basic skeleton images to demonstrate the dynamics but the finished Dummy is at this point not completed or even prototyped ... so for now no images, sorry.

6. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

psi_fan@yahoo.com, psi = pitchshifter? :D

Sounds interesting. I, like many others I'm sure, would like something I can practice on that doesnt mean I have to stop just when I get to the real application! Also just to experiment seeing how various moves can be applied other than shown.

.....but first, need money.

7. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Not sure what you mean by Pitchshifter, apart from the guitar effect, but thats not what 'psi' refers to. :)

Well I am going to go ahead with this design and have one built for myself, I will trial it and get it as close to cost effective as well as functional as I can. If I get enough interest later on and get some pre-orders happening then I will look at the possibility of sending kits overseas for personal assembly if it's at all possible.

I am trying to make it as cost effective as possible at this stage.

Thanks for showing interest. ;)

8. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

oh....that psi! There used to be a band called pitchshifter, and an alias of their name was psi, hence psi fan, fan of pitchshifter!

On a rough estimate how much is it costing to get one built for yourself? Is there a website which shows the designs from the man who makes the personalised wing chun dummies?

9. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I've got a taiji dummy his name is James (TeJitsuDo) :D :D :D
    he should be training with the group now and I'm stuck in the North waiting to return lol.
    lisa xx

10. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

It's difficult to say right now, we are still discussing design, materials and the like. I don't want to cut important corners but I still want a fully functional bullet proof design for Taiji. I'll be sharing estimates in the coming days and weeks though.

11. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Okay guys, as promised an update. Here's a list of features that the Taiji Dummy will have, almost all of which a standard Wing Chun Dummy does not.

1# - Flex head with spring steel neck.
    2# - Flex top shoulders.
    3# - Twist torso.
    4# - Shoulder width arms, full length, with spring steel flex elbows.
    5# - 2 flex legs.
    6# - Lower arms shoulder width and removeable for more techniques.

With the above features a Taiji fighter can train a wide range of techniques from striking, locking, leading, timing, distance, Chin Na, one and two step sparring drills, Long Har Chuan, Wudang hand weapons, Qi disruption techniques and even a simplified single push hands for waist jing training, all of which can be trained at full speed and maximum power without concern of harming your partner.

The builder and I are meeting next week and I should be nailing down some prospective prices for the Taiji Dummy.

12. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Sounds like a good idea to me, hopefully you get all the specs down and build a successful product.

Sidenote: If you become a millionaire remember your budy cybermonk :D :Angel:

13. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Thanks Cyber ... will do mate! :)

I have been informed by admin that this thread may run counter to the guidelines of the forum in which case I'll just ask people to PM me for updates or information about the Taiji Dummy.

Best, Syd.

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Which Admin?

15. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Nzric.

16. YODA

Nzric is a Topic Moderator - not an Admin.

I can fully understand his concern - as this is obviously leeding to the advertising of a commercial product.

MAP - however - does not have a no advertising rule. Merely a no FREE advertisng rule. And seeing as this is not yet a commercially available product please continue to discuss your development of it. When the time comes to advertise it for sale - we can speak further about assisting you to advertise it :D

17. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Thanks for clarifying that, I was under a similar impression and felt this was only an idea in the working.

18. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

:D

Sounds like an excellent product anyway - I'm sure you'll get lots of good ideas from everyone. Thanks for explaining Yoda, I just wanted to make sure before it reached the advertising stage

19. YODA

You did good mate - just needed a little clarification is all.