Tai chi's answer to a double leg

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by icefield, Mar 31, 2021.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honestly words truly fail me on this one
    It's like the 90s have come back to haunt us

Grond, axelb and hewho like this.
  2. hewho

hewho Valued Member

All this time learning counters to a single leg, and I should have just... put the leg down. Wonderful!

axelb likes this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

A tiny bit of Shuajiao can come a long way

axelb and hewho like this.
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

My initial thought was have they never seen or participated in an MMA class, a judo class or even a rugby training session because the mechanics and force lines they were using were so off and so bad, but then I actually looked at them and came to the conclusion they had probably not done any form of real contact training in their lives.

No wrestling or MMA coach would put a video out there of how to deal with a Tai chi attack, so please just stop it :(

axelb likes this.
  5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Just for clarity -

not "Tai Chi's answer" - but "Adam Mizner's answer".
    This is the same guy who bounces opponents away using chi blasts through chilli peppers (I kid you not).

axelb, hewho, Dead_pool and 3 others like this.
  6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Speaking as a long time "Traditional" Yang style Taijiquan guy: All I will say is....I am not, and never have been, a fan of Adam Mizner

axelb, Dan Bian and Dead_pool like this.
  7. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Next MAPmeet tai chi warmup sorted there mate!

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Didn't totally hate the ideas behind the first thing. Step the front leg back, get off-line, post or frame on the head/neck. Seen loads of MMA guys do something similar right?
    Especially to a takedown that is sloppy, done from too far out or not set up (not all takedowns are Olympic level blast doubles...even from skilled guys).
    The second...yeah not so much.

9. Xue Sheng

The first thing can work, also add slight push downward on the charging bulls neck, not a lot of pressure, just a light push. But miss that timing with the light push, at least you are out of the way. I once (about 25 years ago) stopped a charging bull (actually a WWF - later called WWE - person, no I cannot name him, I was hospital security at the time and there is a thing called patient confidentiality) by getting off the line and tripping him. Ended in a face plant followed by cooperation. But for the record he was on something (drugs) and he charged just like a bull, head down, arms out like horns.

However the knee up step back thing, would have likely have gotten me body slammed, he was freaking huge, and I ain't small. I'm 6'1" tall.

But any of this, against a trained, resistant, opponent (BJJ, MMA) would need to be trained to make sure it was effective

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No loads of guys don't do anything similar in MMA they use a frame and undertook to redirect or slow momentum or a stiff arm to ride the opponent's momentum backwards.

That's not a stiff arm or frame, it's a push down it doesn't work even against a bad tackle done with intent.

A stiff arm or frame allows you to ride the attack back or stop a bad attack with a solid frame as you move back.

Step back without a frame simply gives a single leg angle pick, or the guy simply goes right on right through you unless the attacks so bad the guy falls over on his own without any help like in this video

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Please show this working anywhere with someone actually having intent in their attack.
    The guy in the clip with such bad posture he fell over on his own doesn't count.

axelb likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

might want to look at my entire post and not pick out parts out of context to question.....And getting off the line, not that foreign a concept.... and I did not video tape the guy charging me...at the hospital....in the ER..... over 25 years ago...sorry.... guess I should have thought of that......but then....smart phones weren't around then...and video cameras were a bit bulky to be carrying around at work

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Even with Adam and his hipnotized "followers"; the guy is lunging head first to the ground.
    A proper shoot is changing levels and driving forward, with posture head shoulders above waist level.
    It is also not charging from a range so far that it resembles the 100m dash.

But a lot of people who don't know how to will probably takedown like this video.

I wonder how much this guy gets from his followers.

Dan Bian and icefield like this.
  14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Why quote the whole thing, the rest of your post was basically backing up your first sentence and offering some evidence what you said could work has done.

I didn't ask you to post a clip of you making it work 25 years ago :( I simply asked for a clip of that sort of redirection into a face plant working anywhere

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

People who don't know much will just rugby tackle you or rush you and go for both legs normally not a bad head outside single or what ever the hell they are doing,

Trying to step and redirect a tackle on both legs without first stopping forward momentum is a disaster waiting to happen,

Unless they are happy to lunge, stop and fall.over on command to make.you look good

axelb and Grond like this.
  16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

That was my first impression of the video. It's yet another of what seems like thousand of such videos, "he's going to shoot for my legs, and I'm going to demo very very slowly exactly what I would do and he falls down, I win". Come on man, any bad shoot for the legs is a bad shoot. That wasn't even a real shoot, and if this worked, it should work against a live shoot! Show us this Tai Chi maneuver against a real shoot! Not this sort of slow motion pantomime. It's the 21st century already.

In my boxing gym we used to call these guys glam rockers, because that's a lot of makeup cover up on top of poor complexion. Great for show if there's no critic in the crowd, basically.

I appreciate your analysis of this.

hewho likes this.
  17. Xue Sheng

Do you have any idea what "getting off the line" means?

And actually I don't think you did read the post at all or opted for taking the one line, out of context to make an issue out of it. Since the post did talked about things like timing and training an MMA and BJJ folks... and no, I will not be going out and spending time looking for a video to post, Your desire for a video does not does not produce in me a desire to give you one.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I didn't miss anything your whole needs to be trained against MMA point is silly because if it was trained against anyone half decent it would get dropped as it doesn't work.

A body in motion is faster than a body at rest, a body in motion is faster than a body at rest starting to move.

A human being is quicker moving forwards than backwards.

If the above statements are true, and science tends to say they are, then without arresting the body in motions ...well...motion you are going down over even a badly commited shot or leg grab.

And in that video he does nothing to stop forward momentum which is fine because his student is so uncoordinated and unathletic he falls over on his own.

19. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I've worked on double leg defences where you move off the line when I was doing sanda, but you made good contact with the attacker, not too dissimilar to a sprawl. The difference between how we trained it, and the video, is that we didn't 'touch the head' to gently guide the opponent down, we drove them down, then remained in contact looking to get our own throw if they didn't fall. There's the kernel of an idea in what he's teaching, but not how he seems to be teaching it.

axelb and aaradia like this.
  20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you want to stop your opponent's forward momentum, all you will need is to put your hands in front of your knees. When your opponent tries to grab your leg/legs, you under hook his shoulder/shoulders. IMO, this is 100% defense approach. The better approach is to "borrow his forward momentum".

It's better to use both hands on the back of your opponent's neck to downward pull him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can also borrow your opponent's forward motion.

[​IMG]

- Use your right arm to over hook his left arm.
    - Use stealing step to move your left leg behind your right leg (move yourself to be outside of his attacking path).
    - Use your right leg to spring/lift his left leg, use your right arm to move him forward, borrow his forward momentum, and throw him forward.

The idea is, if you want my right leg, I'll give you my right leg more than you can't handle it.

Similar to this picture except you use over hook.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    hewho likes this.