Tai Chi Is catching on with Millennials.

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Oct 5, 2017.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

2. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I wouldn't use "millennials" as a demographic past a joke, but i would say everywhere and has been pretty popular for a while. The non impactive exercise "scene" has been in general. :p

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Somewhere in the last couple years I saw news articles about yoga and meditation (and yoga meditation) being taught in California elementary schools for the purpose of reducing stress. So it might just be a California thing. Anyway, nothing in that article gave me the impression that it was martial tai chi -- sadly. :(

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Same. Sick of being called a millennial.

axelb likes this.
  5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Typical millennial. Always complaining.

;)

aaradia, axelb and StooXex like this.
  6. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

REEEEEEEEEE! I belive thats a fitting response. :p

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Aren't we past the millennials now and onto generation Z? (Sounds like a zombie thing).

I think taichi popularity as a "health" tool is on a wheel with yoga and Pilates, which one is more popular in which region for the next 5 years?
    I think it's body balance now, a "mix" of yoga and taichi. Rebranding the wheel.

8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Pretty accurate, those are the big three of most popular non impact exercise. Not going to lie i dont know any others apart from them. Dont belive the pilates people for its chronic joint pain relief though. :p

I think these people forget its meant to supplement intensive exercise and not replace it.

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

See?
    I even had to use google what it means.
    Guess, that makes me rather uncool.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

When are you going to stop making definitive statements about training in styles you have never trained in? Because you are wrong.

TCC can be quite intensive, when done properly. The only think one can say it is not a cardio exercise when doing forms and certain drills. But other than that, it can be quite a workout. I get it, I was surprised when I first started by how sore I was when I first started. And I had been doing CLF for a year. I have watched many of my fellow students be surprised when starting TCC too. But I also didn't start acting like I knew more about the style as a beginner. So, please- just stop talking with authority like you know anything about styles you never trained in. Because you quite obviously have no idea what TCC is or isn't.

Try doing 10 heel kicks on each side, followed by 10 toe kicks- mind you all very slowly and as high as you can. Hold the kick for 3 seconds every one. Then walk across the room and back in "snake creeps low" to "golden rooster stands on one leg." THEN you can come back here and tell me how it isn't intensive exercise. Don't forget proper form and details every step of the way. I could go on.

If you aren't getting a good workout out of it, just like other MA's, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. Make your stances lower, your kicks higher, etc.

11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

when I started Yang Taichi form, my first lesson was going up and down the hall parting the horses mane in low stance. I can still feel the day after pain to this day :D

Dan Bian, aaradia and SCA like this.
  12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I just got to watch them do floating hands for a hour when i went to have a look. And its not the mainstream styles, i forget their names and dont want to put what i think they are because they are generic when you think of China/Asian names in my head. XP

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Then stop talking about like you have a clue

Dan Bian, StooXex, axelb and 2 others like this.
  14. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

This.
    I can come away from a single rep of form and be absolutely dropping in sweat.
    The mental workout as well, particularly in the early years, as you try to remember and implement all the structural/postural details can exhaust the brain too.

But hey, if the kid is never going to go to a proper class, he will never find out :)

chatter box, Xue Sheng, axelb and 2 others like this.