Tai Chi in Turlock, CA

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by FightingMonk2k3, Oct 11, 2007.

1. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

Does any one know of a place that teaches Tai Chi in or near Turlock, CA. I know that CSUStanislaus has a Tai Chi class (I'd know, because I'm a student there), but the teacher told me that the classes she offers are good to learn but aren't really meant for learning and then turning around to teach them in a kung fu or martial arts school.

I'd like to learn Tai Chi and have the possibility to be able to teach it too. Any kind of direction will help. I really do not want to go far away for classes either.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

So, you want to learn Tai Chi, so you can then go and teach it at your kung fu school??

Did I get that right?

3. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're willing to devote enough time (years) training to ensure that what you teach will actually be worth anything.

I would never think of learning a new style for just a few weeks/months and then think that I could reach it.

Tai Chi like any Chinese martial art is more than just Chinese line dancing, you need to have a personal understanding of the principles.

4. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Well of all the states to be in the US for TCC you are probably in one of the best. What major cities are close to you? Then maybe do a search and post some of the websites here and we can tell you about the schools.

I know George Xu is out in Cali, somewhere and he is an amazing MA. Narrow down where you are looking for us.

Also beaware that if teaching TCC is your goal (a respectable one at that) you are looking at quite the commitment. Most TCC teachers don't have specific ranking systems etc. (not typically set up like karatedo or some kung fu) so you may spend many years learning till you can teach. Just a heads up and welcome! :D

5. FightingMonk2k3

It crossed my mind, but I hadn't fully worked out all the kinks yet. If I did choose to teach it at the Kung Fu school I go to, I would definitely consider it and talk to my instructors about it.

6. FightingMonk2k3

The nearest major city is Modesto (about 15minutes going north). Past Modesto is Stockton, then Lodi, Elk Grove, and Sacramento. Stockton/Lodi is about 48minutes north of Turlock and Sacramento is about 2hours (give or take depending on traffic) north of Turlock. Going south, I think Merced is somewhere just past Turlock.

There used to be a lady at the kung fu school that I attend that taught it but I guess she moved back to England or something and now she's back in that area. The problem is, I can't commute back and forth from Turlock to Stockton every day. I'm only capable, for now, once or twice a week due to school.

Any one that knows me, will know that I'm pretty good about sticking to things for a while, so I have the discipline to stay w/ something for a long period of time.

7. zhongding37

zhongding37 Valued Member

Take up taiji because you want to, not because you think you maybe will teach it in future.
    Its a long and hard journey.
    There is too many people that have learned the 24 step taiji and think they can just teach it after a few months of practice.
    all i can say is "please dont"

mike

8. FightingMonk2k3

if i do find a place to train at, i'll be in it 4 a long while.