Tai Chi in the Yukon

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by pseudo, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Hey guys.

I`m Looking for information on Tai Chi, More Specifically the quality of this Tai Chi. Im doing this on behalf of my mother, she would really like to take Tai Chi and asked me to look into it for her. I`v only very briefly touched on Xing yi Quan and Baguazhang a long time ago. The Gentleman is no longer here, otherwise i would suggest that to my mom :eek:. I told her she should go check it out but I have heard from others that its less Tai Chi and More meditation.

http://www.taichi-yukon.ca/reference.htm

Sorry I don`t have much more to go on.

This was probably the most useful insert i found on the site. they also have a reference section that listed the Forms and Moves. I don`t want to steer my mom wrong so i`d like a second opinion and a bit more information. :eek::hat:

Help me help a mom.:Angel:

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What are your mom's goals and reasons for wanting to study it? And if it isn't an intrusion, what age group and health is she in?

I have to say I am not fond of this part of their page. This part also suggests that your concern that it is more about meditation and less about TCC may be correct.

Tai Chi is a martial art and should be taught as such. I object to them saying it originated as one. This suggests they don't view it as one now.

My Sifu says that even if one is not interested in the martial aspect of TCC, one needs to understand the martial side to fully get the health benefits. Understanding the martial application means you line up your body correctly and have the right intention in the moves. And you need this correct aligment and way of doing the moves to take advantage of the health benefits.

If one wants to meditate, learn Qi Gong.

(I am kind of zealous about this. It may not be all that relevant to your mom's needs. Which I why I asked the questions at the beginning of my post.)

However, I see the schedule DOES have push hands, so that is a good sign.

It looks like they cater to a lot of seniors. And this may be why they don't talk about the martial part. The instructors MAY just not focus on that angle because of scaring off some people. And maybe they DO things like proper alignment and intention (i.e. in the martial way), but just don't advertise it that way.

Now that said, the instructor seems like she studies seriously, traveling to learn and all. I am afraid I know nothing of her lineage. I don't know much about the Yang Family TC Association, but as it is tied to the founder of Yang style's family, I can't see how that wouldn't be legitimate.

I wish there were some video's to watch of the instructors. That would tell a lot.

Hopefully, someone else here has more direct knowledge of them and can be of more help.

3. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

My moms background.

She is quite a fit 56 year old, she's a early childhood educator, so she does a lot of running around. She did Shotokan karate longer then I did, so probably around 6-7 years? Stopped at the same time I did ( our instructor moved away) and we never found another instructor. She has tried several yoga classes but never fell in love with it. She's a big believer in alternative medicine and has expressed interest in Qi gong however I don't think that's available here. She can kind of be explosive. ( god I hope she never reads this)

I believe she's looking for something to keep her active, relax, and wined down but knowing my mom I think she needs something challenging otherwise she will get board.

Yes, I agree, I wish they had videos. I was kind of hoping someone here would be familiar with yang style, I mean this
    seems rather significant.

4. aaradia

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. aaradia

Thanks, well, your mom isn't that old and did Shotokan. Sounds healthy. No reason she can't pursue TCC fully as a proper MA.

Well, my concern would be how catered to older- and in more frail health - clientele that school is, compared to your mom. Lots of discussions and pictures of suggesting that is who they seem to have as a student base. Not to mention the Tai Chi Light routine (complete with chair exercises) on their site. But maybe they have a more varied student base than the website suggests. And can also meet the needs of more fit people.

But your mom is an experienced MAist. She wouldn't need to know a lot about TCC specifically to tell if this is the case or not.

Probably worth at least visiting and checking out. Since we can't see the isntructor's in action on any video.

But the main instructor is taught by Yang Family descendants. Would be hard to imagine she doesn't have some good TCC to pass along.

And I would have to go back to the site, but it seems like they did have at least some Qi Gong seminars, so I think they may have something to offer along those lines if she is interested.

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Not particularly.Yang,Z-d has taken on quite a few students and has initiated disciples over the years building his network.Doesn't mean they're neccesarily any more skilled or knowledgeable than anyone else.

I think it's quite safe to say that this particular branch of the family is not turning out any functional practitioners - despite all the empire building.

That said pseudo's mom should expect at least decent basic form instruction and hopefully some push hands beyond the noodley.