Tai Chi in Birmingham/West Midlands

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by crosstrainer, Mar 13, 2019.

1. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Valued Member

Hi,

Can anybody suggest, or better still recommend, a tai chi club in the Birmingham or West Midlands area.

Thank you.

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Don't have a lot of time to dig around right now, but my suggestion would be to have a look at Dan Docherty's website for any of his instructors in or around the area. It's a good system that's well established and taught around the UK. Would be a decent place to start/ try a class etc.

It's based on Wu style tai chi mostly, from Hong Kong.

good luck

3. Lennon

Lennon Member

My current Kung Fu Club used to run a session a few years back but they had to drop it because not enough people were showing up.

The Kung Fu side of the club has really seen an increase in numbers recently so the Tai Chi may start up again soon. I'll keep you posted if you like when I hear anymore

4. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Hi depends which side of Birmingham. In the north I can vouch for two near Sutton Coldfield,

Sutton Coldfield Tai Chi Classes - Central Tai Chi

I studied for a very brief spell in the early noughties at what is known as Central Tai Chi under Sifu Steve Jones who is a cracking fellow, who runs a large number of classes. He teaches Yang Style. In the past he taught quite a bit of push hands in his classes as well as some weapon forms. However this was about ten years ago so I don't know what the situation is now. Also was never sure who they were affiliated with, but it was clear that Steve knew his stuff.

Sutton Coldfield Tai Chi Classes - Central Tai Chi

I studied and learned Chen style under Sifu Earl Gotshalk until about 3 or 4 years ago at Sutton Qigong-Taichi which is part of the Michael Tse Qigong network

Home | Taijiquan and Wild Goose Qigong
    Welcome to the Tse Qigong Centre

Earl has quite a wide background, (Including Hung Gar,Chun Yuen Quan, Qigong and I believe but don't quote me - Basketball). He was really really nice guy, endlessly patient with a brick like myself who was unsuited to Tai-Chi. Its was quite a tight knit group so lots of individual attention and teaching of applications if you want, but not enough mass for push hands practice, at least in the community hall I frequented. I think in last few years he has scaled down his classes, though he also teaches Wing Chun if you are interested as he had just qualified in it the last year I studied under him.

That the best I can do. hop it helps

cloudz likes this.
  5. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Wild Goose Qigong to be precise, though I never practised it a lot of the students were into it

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Also,
    The tai chi finder website is a good online resource for finding clubs and classes in different parts of the country.

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Kai Ming Association for Tai Chi Chuan which is run by Mark Peters who was a student of Nigel Sutton before he moved to foreign shores. They cover a lot of stuff, form (Cheng Man Ching), straight sword, broadsword, staff, fan, push hands and martial applications etc. There website is here : Home