Tai Chi Advice and Resources Wanted

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Calvin Kirk, May 4, 2020.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Nice to read an update! :) It's great that you were able to find a good teacher and you are enjoying the classes. What style are you learning? (Sorry if it was mentioned before). Are you only doing private classes because you prefer that approach or is it because you can't go to group classes, yet, covid-wise?

I have started with Taiji a year and a half ago, so it is good to hear from people who are at a similar stage to me :) I am enjoying my classes, too, I can feel my legs getting stronger and hips and stuff more flexible. Plus I really enjoy practising the form etc. Too bad we can't really (or at least officially) do in-person classes yet. Hopefully, soon.
    I'll be looking forward to your next update! :)

Dan Bian likes this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm training with a disciple of Yang Jun. He's great, also very smart (PhD in Chemistry). So far nothing flowery or weird, just body awareness, motion, relaxation and a little of the standing meditation, which is rad for a propeller head like myself. :D

Zoom training was OK as an introduction but I didn't feel like it was what I needed given that there is so much physical contact required to really learn this (and my instructor is definitely the "let's cross hands" type. To me, that kind of contact is so important. So I opted to train privately (a little more expensive but worth it...basically the same price as a 1:1 PT per hour). There are group in-person classes with distancing and masks etc but I haven't done that as I'm still waiting for a vaccine (most of the in-person class students are either vaccinated or scheduled, I guess I'm the unlucky one).

aaradia and Nachi like this.
  3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I see thanks for explaining (wow, PhD in chemistry, considering my own understanding in chemistry, I think people who can do that must be superhuman or something, haha :D). That sounds great :)

Sure, nothing beats in-person classes and they definitely should be better than Zoom ones. I was wondering more like why not do in-person group classes, but it is indeed due to covid. I understand. Good luck with getting a vaccine, soon! Hopefully you'll be able to :)
    I'm glad your Tai chi journey goes well! :)

Grond likes this.
  4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Always awesome when another person discovers Tai Chi :D

axelb, Grond, aaradia and 1 other person like this.