TAGB or ITF?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by speaktoalex, Nov 1, 2006.

1. speaktoalex

speaktoalex Valued Member

I have the choice between the two, and I was wondering which does more.. flashy stuff? And more sparring? I think TAGB is based on ITF, right? Does that mean that they're basically the same?
    I went to try out TAGB but I had to try it with the juniors class: the beginners train with the juniors for a couple of weeks to get the feel of things first, so I didn't really get that much of an idea. We went through.. erm.. whats-it-called, kind of like a kata?! And then did that type of sparring where you don't actually touch the person. But I really don't feel I got the idea as I was with the juniors, so I was wondering if you could explain to me the differences between the two?
    Thanks very much!

2. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

The TAGB are the biggest TKD association in the UK. They split from the ITF in the mid 1980's, so they are a bit behind on the technical side, such as sine wave etc. I'm not saying they are no good mind!(before I get flamed) they do TKD as it was back then, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    They seem to be very good at sparring as they do a lot of it and have got a name as good competitors.

As with all associations there are good instructors and bad instructors. Why not have a look at other clubs in the area and see which one appeals to you the most.

Cheers!

Martin

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What he said. :)

TAGB is ITF as it was before sine wave became very heavily emphasised. In terms of the techinques you'll do and how flashy they are, I can imagine that will be more influenced by the Instructor than the differences between TAGB and ITF. TAGB has included some WTF influences which I assume ITF have not, but otherwise I think it'll all be down to the Instructor.

If you want flashy, ITF style TKD may not be what you're after.

Best of luck,
    Mitch

4. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

All the Patterns aka kata is the same as TAGB broke away from ITF. Really it depends on the instructors what you will learn some might just do patterns with a bit of sparring and others might do sparring with little bit of patterns and some will get the mix just right depending on what you want to get out of it.
    Whos the TAGB instructor?

5. speaktoalex

The TAGB instructor is Alec Hay :) Thanks guys! So basically watch the TAGB adult class, and go to a trial at ITF, and just see the difference?

6. samurai_steve

samurai_steve Valued Member

does it matter wether its flashy......if so try wushu

7. speaktoalex

I would if I could. He he! I really like the look of TKD, and I've been watching videos, and I just think it would be really fun to learn all the spin kicks etc, so that's what I meant!

8. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Spinning makes me dizzy.

9. tkdally

tkdally Values sillyness in life

Yeah and have a chat with the instructor and see if you like them or not. TKD is a long journey and you've got to train with someone you can tolerate for years on end and respect as an person

10. Dragon2020

Dragon2020 TTTINT

As I've found out the patterns aren't the same to be honest.... they are the same movements but with completely different emphasis.... the TAGB still practices patterns as they were created, they haven't evolved since then...

ITF clubs as i have said teach different emphasis including sine wave.... it is very odd to learn after being with the TAGB lol..... I've had nearly 18 years with the TAGB and am now training with an an ITF style club.... still a change is as good as a rest! it's good to experience different methods it can only improve you in the long term....

11. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

There aren't that many flashy aerial kicks in ITF - you can do them, but it's not massively emphasised.

All in my experience ;)

I trained TAGB for a few years, then my instructor changed to ITF, so I have trained in both.

12. speaktoalex

What's sine wave?
    Is it a good odd or a bad odd to have changed? :p So is TAGB more traditional, meaning it doesn't focus on sparring so much?

13. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Sine wave is to do with patterns (forms/katas) its the bounching up and down that the ITF do in there patterns to generate power is called sine wave.
    TAGB use hip twist to generate power in the patterns.
    The TAGB has 600 schools and everyone will be different. But you will spar as you need to spar in gradings blue belt and above.
    Look up ITF patterns video and look up TAGB patterns and see the difference.

Your best best to find a TAGB pattern will be on myspace I believe TKDally has videos from the competitions she has been in on there.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i'd advise to go to the clubs and check them out. it all depends on the instructor.

15. Nails

Nails Valued Member

I have trained under the UKTA and the TAGB and I can only say this............from my own experience I hasten to add, I am not speaking for everyone so don't anyone try getting lairy with me.

I found the UKTA a more regimented and dare I say it tougher version of Taekwon-Do. They will happily have you breaking and sparring from day one (if you are old enough) and the movements within their patterns are to be performed with a view to cutting your imaginary opponent in half. This is likely a legacy of its direct descendance from the Korean Military system.

The emphasis of movement with the UKTA is sine-wave but there was not much emphasis on step-sparring. By that I mean there was not really a syllabus for step-sparring, you were shown how to do it but your attack and defence was up to you.

The TAGB from my experience was more driven towards competition, although strangely you would rarely spar and if you did it was little or no contact. I was often lambasted and at one time failed in a pre-grading for employing the usual sparring that I was used to to in UKTA.

You would spend most of some lessons doing circuits of running, jumping and various other cardio exercises. There is a set step-sparring syllabus which is required for gradings, you don't improvise until you try for the black-belt and the same goes for breaking.

The TAGB do a lot more line work than the UKTA and they emphasis hip-twist similar to karate. The TAGB are probably better in regards to the teaching of children as you are more spoon-fed through the syllabus.

I had to change due to work reasons but for me I preferred the UKTA way. At a UKTA grading the hairs go up on the back of your neck when Grandmaster Rhee Ki Ha walks into the room and he is talking about his moments with the Maj.Gen Choi Hong Hi, you know that you are in the presence of living history. You always found that extra gear whan you was in front of him. Sadly I found it hard to get the same enthusiasm at a TAGB grading.

In summary; If you want a user friendly style with a lot of emphasis on light competition with the odd interesting WTF style course thrown in then try the TAGB.

If you want a hands-on, regimented style.......then ITF or what is directly associated to it.

Hope this helped.

16. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

But all your doing in your post is judging 2 organisations on 2 instructors. Like I said there are 600 schools in the TAGB so they are going to be different at each school. From my experience the sparring is not light or no contact. I have a swollen eye today because of the sparring session on thursday which involved one on one, two on one sparring then 4/5 on one sparring so its not light at all!!!
    Don't judge an organisation on one school. You wouldn't judge an art on one school so why an organisation?

17. Nails

Nails Valued Member

Quote "But all your doing in your post is judging 2 organisations on 2 instructors" UnQuote.

Well of course I am, aside from seminars thats the only concentrated teaching exposure I have had with both organisations. But I did kind of make that clear at the beginning of my post. I was not judging arts by one school as that would be just ignorant. I am sorry if you chose to interpret it that way.

I have been to many seminars and competitions, these are populated by many students and teachers from many different schools. What I passed was not judgement, it was personal opinion from experience of training with students and teachers of different schools. These people are the organisations!!

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just a quick correction, TAGB do one step sparring which is improvised by the student from red stripe upwards. Red stripe or earlier has been the case since 1983 to the best of my knowledge.

Nails is sadly correct about breaking, not done at a grading until bb, but what you do in class is not exactly the same as the grading requirement now, is it? :)

Mitch

19. Can someone confirm whether Juche is present in the TAGB syllabus for me?

The ITF and the TAGB do the same syllabus, but differently. Different drills introduced at different belts etc. One way of generating power in Martial Arts is a motion called Sinewave. This is [or should be] present in quite a few moves in the TKD syllabus. In the ITF, almost every move will be taught with sinewave. A lot of Martial Artists disagree with sinewave.
    On the upside, the ITF had me breaking and free sparring from white belt. That to me, was awesome.

Ultimately, it's down to the school and the instructor. I've had very bad experiences with TAGB and ITF, but that's just the schools I've trained in and the students I've met.

Go to both schools and look at the blackbelts. Chat with the instructor, check out the Do-Jang, and ask about the timetables and prices. Our Do-jang is open 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. That instantly gives it an advantage over any other school in the area. Some schools train just 2 hours a week.

Come back and let us know what you see and how ya get on and we'll try to guide you.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  20. Gould

Gould Valued Member

Juche isn't performed within the TAGB, we still perform Ko-Dang.

As far as our school goes, we start sparring from the outset at white belt, but then that depends on the Instructors preferences.

Go have a look at the class for a couple of weeks and get a feel for the atmosphere to see if you like it, you can generally tell what the school will be like after a couple of lessons.