Taekwondo similar or not to Kyokushin karate?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Zatoichi1, Dec 23, 2010.

1. osu,

I don't think it is a great idea to "combine' kyokushin & taekwondo; from what I understand, the underlying principles are quite different (grounded vs airborne and hip-tanden vs sine wave)...
    Yet, I've heard that Lechi Kurbanov (a kyokushin champ) has started to compete in TKD point sparring... maybe to get a feel for what kyokushin could do in a yet to exist olympic karate?

I do not know TKD enough to say what could combine with it.

Kyokushin could advantageously be combined with Judo, providing you have a proficient level (BB+) in either one.

my 0.02$ to take with a grain of salt. ;)
    osu!

2. sorry, double posting ----- dunno how that happens, but it is often...

osu!

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I think cross training with another striking art would be good... especially if you get a chance to spar with other strikers who use different techniques and tactics.
    However, if you are looking to improve your "self defense", I would also advise doing some cross training in a grappling art (BJJ, Wrestling, etc) and any sort of RBSD clinics/schools nearby.

4. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

certainly agree with most comments, grappling art for a kickers got to be a good move to become an all round martial artist, not everyones goal but I feel its the OP's! as your experience lies with wtf tkd i'd certainly go for some boxing skills even if its at home with a bag and mitts.

bests kamau

5. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

ITF Taekwondo is very similar to Karate by philosophy, principles, way of training and so on. WTF Taekwondo, no way.

For mr, ITF and Karate training are very similar. It's from person to person however - i drill basics much, kicks to the body, chops, and so on.

At first i wanted Kyokoshin, but it wasn't available to me so i started ITF. Regreting? Not a litlle bit.

6. ryuu55

ryuu55 Valued Member

I've been in TKD for 10yrs I have never done the "sine wave" or seen if performed live. Also we (my class) tend to use our hand as much, if not more, than our legs. Kicks to the thighs were never allowed, but allowed to the groin until last year, or so. Punches to body and head are allowed. We have a lot of Shotokan "friends" we work out with so I guess we've picked up a more grounded fighting style.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Man, how they manage that one, ? I've a kid in WTF TKD and then I send him to Jorge Gurgel's MMA for some real boxing training two days out of the week. At this point ( he's new at the boxing end of it ) the styles seem very incongruous. Even discounting TKD is kick-focused, the whole approach the styles take seem to be radically different from each other - though its early on.

The conditioning in boxing is very intense - comparitively - which I like.

I wonder sometimes if he'll get confused when he gets into the thick of it...but I suppose time and experience will take care of that, when need be.

If I found a serious Kyokushin school in the area, I'd probably pull him from the TKD and put him in it. Andy Hug...

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

http://kyokushinohio.webs.com/

Send them a message and see if they have anyone around teaching. It's surprising how many schools don't advertise or have poor advertising out there that we don't even know about. They might know someone in the area.

9. belltoller

Thanks much for the link. Ya, they're in Columbus, which is about one and one half hours drive from here; but I'll ring them up and see if they've any good recommends for the Cinci area. I'm really becoming intrigued with Kyokushin.

10. Paul A

Paul A Valued Member

Don't get me wrong ... but I don't think they are similar in any way.

I am a Karate man. Shotokan to be precise.

You all seem to be focusing on the 'sparring' type activity. Considering the core techniques of Kyokushin and other Karate styles is the Bunkai in the Kata, how do you think your current TKD meshes with the grappling, close range strikes, throws & takedowns, ground fighting, chokes & strangles, arm locks, leg & ankle locks, neck wrenches, finger locks, wrist locks that you don't see in the sparring and that you see in the styles Kata? ie

• Kihon
    • Taikyoku
    • Pinan
    • Sokugi
    • Ura
    • Sanchin
    • Yantsu
    • Tsuki No
    • Gekisai Dai
    • Gekisai Sho
    • Tensho
    • Saifa
    • Seienchin
    • Garyu
    • Seipai
    • Kanku
    • Sushiho

I know TKD lifted and uses forms from Shotokan but my impression is that the focus is narrowly aligned to sparring, rather than most Karat clubs where sparring and comp is the fun part and the core techniques within the style are in the Kata.

Do your forms and training of the form application merge with that of an average Karate class?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I do a kyokushin offshoot AND TKD so I can comment on the differences.
    When I leave Shidokan after sparring my thighs often hurt but my face is generally OK.
    When I leave TKD after sparring my thighs are fine but my face can often have a few dings.
    Do one the day after the other and I get the full set. :)

12. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

I would say very few TKD Schools teach correct applications and entries from the forms.
    On the Grappling based techniques I've seen schools whose students couldn't even perform basic ukemi let alone some of the more advance techniques especially ones banned from Kodokan Judo competition such as neck and leg locks. If the school teaches Hapkido/Judo as well you may see these intergrated but in general TKD schools don't teach these.

How are these trained and taught in Shotokan out of curiousity? Do you use a Judo style Randori to get the finer points down?

13. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I'd say that originally the classes were very similar to Shotokan. I used to teach at a university and we'd get guys from Shotokan who would come in to watch to see if they wanted to join and I had more than one say to me, "This is Taekwon-do? This looks like Karate to me...and yes I'd like to join."

And here is the sad admission...I was a black belt and so ignorant about my arts history that I didn't understand why they were saying that. The first time I saw some Shotokan forms I thought *they* had lifted stuff from our forms (not the other way around! In my defense I was very young (early 20s) and hadn't had experience with other arts and this was before things like MAP existed on the internet).

Now since the early days the style has 'evolved' (maybe 'devolved') away from Shotokan. The one thing I found when I started trying to pursue a larger breadth in martial arts was the sweeps. The love of high kicks caused the removal of the Shotokan style sweeps from the curriculum and that was not a good thing (in my opinion).

14. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Post deleted; error on my part.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  15. Jay8789

Jay8789 New Member

Combine martial arts!

Hello to all I have just joined this site today. And what a pleasure already listening to the posts. I have joined this site to have intelligent debates on different martial arts. If you don't mind me saying I think combining a martial art is a tricky subject to approach. Why not take up several different types and find your style and run it back to back with the style you do now. And dig deeper into your own martial art and train in different clubs. I have been doing karate since I was 3 and now I am 32 and have found all martial arts to be quality.....as long as you have a good school! My main styles are shotokan and kyo for me it's a great way to get all you want. Good luck on your mission!
    I completely agree with a statement made before there is no such thing as a bad martial art just some bad teachers/clubs.

16. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Welcome to MAP. There is an introduction sub-forum if you want to visit there. Have a pleasant and long stay here at MAP!!

17. Yes you can, in two easy steps:
    1- Start kyokushin while winding down TKD a bit.
    2- Stop TKD.

There... you are now practicing a superior art! :D

osu!

18. belltoller

I agree that Kyokushin, from what I've heard, seems to be a more robust, fuller, versitle art as well as superior conditioning. It'd make more sense, if one were starting out, to 'major' in Kyo and then pull in the few things that TKD has that Kyo doesn't later on.

I think the OP is a third degree blackbelt in Taekwondo, if I'm not mistaken. He's got the 'karate' part of it down pat by now. I think it'd make more sense to take up Greco-Roman wrestling or BJJ/Judo and add straight boxing to that since he's wanting to round out for defense purposes.

BTW, are you studying Kyo there in NingBo?

19. Osu,

Yes I am Belltoller.
    My post was mostly tongue in cheek BTW.

I agree with you, Judo, wrestling, BJJ, etc... would nicely complement a good stand up striker. :)

Osu!

20. belltoller

How long ya been in Kyo? Are you in PRC exclusively for study or you needed to be there for other reasons and the Kyo just happened?

ta