Taekwondo mix with Karate(newbie need help)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Intan86, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Hello MAPers :love: ,

I want to ask your opinion about this. I've learned TKD(WTF) since I was 11 and now I'm intrested in learning Karate. Do you think learning Karate would benefit me? I mean can it make me a better fighter.And do you think TKD can be mix with Karate?
    Honestly, I think Karate is a brutal MA. I just love the way a Karateka throw a punch to his/her opponent's face whenever I saw them sparring :D . I'm skilled with my legs but now I think I want to be skilled with both. That's also one of the reason why I'm intrested to learn Karate. You know, to have balance.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

AFAIK, TKD came from Karate.

I think taking up a grappling style such as Judo or BJJ would make your more balanced than taking up another striking style.

PL

3. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

TKD came from Karate? I'm confused. Well, the problem is PL here we don't have BJJ here. We have Judo but not where I live. Well, I think its because it's not as popular as TKD.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Is there Aikido :confused: If you can find a good Aikido school I'd recommend that for balance and coordination. And being a good school it should have a healthy amount of atemi. Failing that, go with the Judo. Karate seems to promote stiff and awkward movement from what I've seen of karate students.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Yeah, I'd take Aikido over the Karate, too. Not because Karate promotes stiff movements (there are many Karate styles out there), but because you already take a striking art. Besides, I've only heard VERY good things of Aikido's footwork.

Basically, look for something other than a pure striking art. Or at least, take Muay Thai. :p

PL

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

If you want to be a balanced fighter and be good with your arms then I suggest Muay Thai. I know I'm always posting about how effective Muay Thai is but this is just a cse where I can't resist. Muay Thai will teach you stricking with everyting. Headbutts, knees, elbows, forarms, back fist, fist, shoulders etc...well a good Muay Thai place teachers you these anyhow...

7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

If your TKD incorperates the "sine wave" movement in its basics, you might find it difficult to transfer to the torque method employed by many karateka. After that, there are many similarities between the two.

It might add strings to your bow, but it really depends on what end result you want. Different styles will lend themselves to different things.

8. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Thanks. I think I'm going to learn Aikido instead.

9. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Thats great Intan, let us know how you get on with training in both styles.

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

If you want brutality. . . . . go with Muay Thai.

11. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

i would personally try my hand at aikido or one of them aRTS RATHER than another strikeing one but if it doean't work out go to the karate place it's good but in comparison i (even though i do karate) find it would be easier to do then tkd

12. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

If you want to be able to punch to the head why not just do ITF TKD instead?

I mix my TKD with BJJ and the odd MT session.

13. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'd be curious as to what styles of Karate are around you, as with each style of Karate can be quite different from each other...such as Kenpo compared to Goju Ryu and etc.

But hey, good luck with Aikido if that's what you stick with. So many arts, so little time. Also, not to railroad the thread, but if you do like Aikido, you might also like Hapkido since you were asking if Karate would blend well with your TKD...Hapkido would definately.

You could always do Hapkido, Thai boxing, Kenpo, some BJJ, some Escrima and just forego sleep.

14. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

I would suggest that if you wish to complement your TKD training with Karate, that you study Kyokushin kai. It's very physical and is great for developing power and is a way into full contact. Then maybe move onto something more brutal (I mean that in a loving way ;) ) then go on to MT/BJJ.

15. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

You *learned* a martial art?? WOW, i wish i would be able to do that at some point....
    Remember that the belt you have is only good for holding your dobok

Benefit you in what way, street self defense way, demonstration way, competition way?

Not quite to my knowledge.

Aikido is internal style as opposed to Karate, TKD, or M.Thai, which means you also cultivate chi and use oponents energy against himself.

Honestly, in my experience, you shouldn't mix TKD with Karate nor Aikido, because they are all very different.

Choose one and concentrate on it. :D

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Low blow, Captain Semantics. You know what Intan meant. And I'd guess that English is not Intan's native language anyway.

It is a commonly accepted belief that taekwondo has its roots in Japanese shotokan. For a good, balanced, honest look at taekwondo history, try and find some writings by Olympic gold medalist Herb Perez. He's an impressive writer to boot.

Different can be good. But personally, I don't really see the problem with Intan's original idea of karate after taekwondo. Chuck Norris made a similar decision in order to strengthen his handwork. He started in Korean styles and then enlisted the aid of Fumio Demura to help him with his hands.

I wouldn't worry so much about what will fill what gaps. See what's available. See how good the local teachers are. Whatever you take, if it's a good school and a good teacher, you'll benefit. The rest is a bit academic.

Now that makes sense. Whatever you choose, throw yourself into it. See how it ticks. You'll benefit that way, whatever you choose.

Stuart

17. JKD_forever

Now, now....SLAP!!! :D :D
    A lil dose of reality didn't hurt noone yet

I said TKD didn't *came* from Karate because such phrasing can be misunderstood.
    But yes, TKD was influenced in 19th century (up until 1900 or so) by Japan and Karate, but after that it has take on its on may i add very different flavor.
    The point behind my statement was however that Karate is very stiff and....different than lets say aerobic TKD.

All in all my point Intan is that, i c you are still young and don't fall into a trap of ending up doing more martial arts than you can count on your fingers, but choose one and concentrate on it, because that's the only way you will be efficient in it, plus you will not get confused as to what style to adopt in street defense situation, if it comes, and if thats one of the reason you are doing martial arts.

Cheerz :love:

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Didn't hurt noone. That's a double negative.

You mean "didn't come from karate"? Wee... this is fun! :)

In that case, it would be true to say that taekwondo came from karate. But that it took on a character of its own after that.

I think that depends on the karateka involved. I've seen karateka who could flow with no problems. I've seen others who couldn't.

I think this is a good point. I'm all for crosstraining, but you do need a base. A good filter through which to parse other things you study. But I think that's an argument for karate. I think the framework for karate and taekwondo are similar enough that someone's experience in one will make them a more educated consumer of the other. But different enough to add a different skill set.

Stuart

p.s. I'm taking the mickey. No offense intended. But I do suggest you cut people some slack, particularly when they're posting internationally. Personally, if I were trying to communicate in Spanish, I would be rather put off if people pointed out all the mistakes I was making.

19. JKD_forever

hey wasn't that slap enough? :rolleyes:

You see, english is not my first language and that's why this thread would had a different flavor if i was, say American. I suggest you back off a little bit. :)
    Anyway i was warning a kid that martial art is something that can't be learned and than replaced by something else.
    Also if the question was asked by someone much older thereply would be different again so chill mate :D

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

You're the one that started everything, now you're asking others to chill when you can't handle the heat? :rolleyes:

General Choi himself said he took TKD from Shotokan. Many of the forms are exactly the same. If not from Shotokan, then where did TKD come from?

PL