taekwondo in mma

Discussion in 'MMA' started by snewchybewchy, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I was talking about WTF personally. I've sparred kickboxing with a long-time ITF guy, was a good dude.

2. fonzerelli_79

fonzerelli_79 Valued Member

There's quite a lot of fighters with a TKD background in the UFC (and other MMA organisations). Most MMA schools focus on wrestling, BJJ and Muai Thai though many fighters came from a TKD background originally.

If you watch a UFC PPV you will undoubtedly see a fighter who throw a TKD style kick at one point. Ben Henderson comes from a TKD background and just picked up the belt from Edgar in Japan.

Cro Crop also used to throw some TKD style kicks. I'm sure he threw an axe kick against someone last year.

And arguably the best MMA fighter in the world, Anderson Silva, comes from a TKD background. I believe that was the first martial art he studied and he reached black belt level before moving onto muay thai, bjj etc.

3. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

so you think that WTF isnt used in MMA, K1, and full contact as well?......sounds like ignorance to me.

4. NightSky

NightSky Valued Member

Maybe I am ignorant, but I wan't ignore nothing. If you want, find me some examples of WTF used in styles we mentioned.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Ben Henderson and Cung Le off the top of my head.

6. NightSky

NightSky Valued Member

I checked two fighters you mentioned and I can't find nothing WTF in it. When WTF fighter tries to use his skill in K1 and similar it looks like bad ITF. And that's the case here also.

Even rules of kickbox disciplines, light contact, semi contact, full contact, low kick, which we talking about, are modified ITF Taekwondo rules, created by Mike Anderson 4. Dan grade ITF.

Kickbox itself actually is ITF Taekwondo, in combination with European boxing tehniques (but, in proper ITF school. fighter will know how to use hands very effective - it's only bad schools where fighters don't know how to perform hook or uppercut (but true, not good as boxer will do)).

Together with Muay Thai, ITF is best and most effective style of stand up fight, ever known to man.

Muay Thai have some advantages over ITF, because every fighter learn to use elbows, low kicks, and knees, while in ITF you learn it only if you start full contact fighting (knees and elbows and low kicks however are part of original Taekwondo curriculum, but rarely teached because these tehniques were never used in ITF sparring).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  7. Ben Gash CLF

LOL, conceited much?

8. Ben Gash CLF

T 36. DISQUALIFICATION
    a. Misconduct against officials or ignoring instructions.
    b. Heavy contact.
    c. Committing three (3) fouls.
    d. Any competitor being under influence of alcoholic beverages or drugs.

T 37. FOULS
    One point will be deducted for the following offences:
    a. Loss of temper.
    b. Insulting an opponent in any way.
    c. Biting, scratching.
    d. Attacking with the knee, elbow or forehead.
    e. Attacking a fallen opponent.
    f. Attack to an illegal target with contact.
    g. Contact.

9. Ben Gash CLF

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YomiVIrrwPw"]THE 17TH ITF TAEKWONDO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2011, KOREA - MALE INDIV. SPARRING (FINAL UP TO 78) - YouTube[/ame]
    This is clearly NOT full contact, and in response to another of your comments, this is also NOT good hand work.

10. Pretty In Pink

You seem slightly bias?

11. NightSky

NightSky Valued Member

@sifu ben I don't know where did you get this rules? Foul from contact? This is not ITF rules!

@Chadderz No, why should I? Only I forgot to mention the Kyokoshin Karate together with Muay Thai and ITF.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Karate would have had nothing to do with the development of kickboxing or K-1 I guess. They were probably faffin' about in white pajamas while ITF was creating kickboxing single handed right? :rolleyes:

13. Ben Gash CLF

From the ITF 2010 rules document
    If contact wasn't a foul, the above fight would look very different.

14. Toki_Nakayama

Kieji Ozaki, Japanese TKD Association. K-1 fighter WTF

Ben Henderson- current UFC lightweight champ, background in TKD WTF

I can think of off the top of my head.

15. Toki_Nakayama

maybe he is a member of the "Koreans invent everything" Committee and believes that TKD created Karate and Kungfu and Kickboxing singlehandedly.

16. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

The classic TKD in an MMA fight video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6mMtHqXyYc"]TKD vs. MMA - YouTube[/ame]

17. Ben Gash CLF

Surely some footage of Mark weir would have been less inflammatory?

18. fonzerelli_79

fonzerelli_79 Valued Member

Regardless of how good someone is at Taekwondo, it baffles me that they would knowingly step into the ring with someone who has a stand up game and a ground game. TKD fanboys who don't recognise the weakness of only training in their own art are their own worst enemy.

19. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

I love the things people come up with that have no ground game, speaking from someone who used to do those things as well. The random pseudo-headlock attempts, the frantic back-giving scrambles, the powerless rabbit punches from the bottom. It's just awesome.

20. Pretty In Pink

To be fair the video looks fairly old. Back when TMA's were untouchable. :)