taeguek pahl jang

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by estranged13, Jun 20, 2004.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

what is it that you are doing when you bring your feet together and slowly bring your hands up? my mistake i meant chil jang

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  2. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

The actual move is performed quickly. You're breaking a stranglehold by forcing your opponent's hands apart and striking your fists into his face.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The way that I learned it was as a slow circualr movement meant as a breathing/concentration pause to prepare you to "burst into action". (I just checked in the book Taekwondo: The Ultimate Reference Guide to the World's Most Popular Martial Art (Endorsed by the WTF), Yeon Hee Park, Yeon Hwan Park, and Jon Gerrard, Facts on File: 1989) and it recommends the same. If I remember, I'll check in my Korean texts at home as well.

Koryo: I think this is a pretty clear example of how even the same forms change and may be taught differently among different schools. And, I would say "different is not always wrong."

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I agree with Thomas. It's supposed to be a slow movement emphasizing your breathing, and not fast as Koryo said. At least, that's the way we teach it.

5. Samurai_24

Samurai_24 self-own3d

Got to go with Thomas on this one.

6. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

k thanks

7. kareem

kareem New Member

i havnt seen this one done fast yet, and ive learned it same as thomas and the others.

8. supervole

supervole New Member

I'd go with slow aswell, focussing your energy into your fist.
    Mev.

9. sheslee

sheslee New Member

i learnt it as breaking off someone's hold when they've got both hands grabbing your shoulders... thus both your fists should be at your shoulder's width... then you proceed to grab their shoulders, pull the opponent towards your knee, pull it back to your waists without going below where your knee is raised and so on... hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say but this is just how i learnt it... :)